Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good point Calmstorm. It might be that we close this thread and allow Darren some time to finish the next version of the VS and also let folks cool down as well.

It shall be discussed forthwith
    ETA: adding that the discussion I refer to is the Moderators not the thread
    Life is short, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And live out loud with no regrets..

Comment

I appreciate that I've come late to this discussion, but I wanted to raise a point.

On the whole, I think it's a cracking mandate- job well done Darren.

My only issue is with the third to last statement:

When you express a dislike, don't dwell on it. Have your say and then move on to those things that you like about the show. If it comes up again in another topic or a new episode, feel free to extend your remarks insofar as you have something new to say. Don't let your hatred of a character, a writer, or a storyline become the thing that defines you.
      For me, that which I feel was a poor creative move on the writers half matters as much to me as what I love about Stargate. The 'Stargate Atlatacism' of SG-1 is for me a very real dampner on my enjoyment. And I feel I should be able to make my arguments surrounding this, particularly the fact that SG1 should have been permitted to retire happy an smiling, and consequently not rain on SGA's parade, preventing it from being the great standalone show it could have been.

This for me, is an important view. I really don't want to have to ignore it, and only talk about that which I like, because frankly, right now, with SG1 STILL being continued in this vein, it's still relevant for me... because what I like is constantly inspite of this.

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

FOB I am going to suggest that you read through the thread a bit
        as the concerns you have raised have been addressed a few times
        Life is short, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And live out loud with no regrets..

Comment

Originally posted by CalmStorm View Post
          This is speculation on my part, but the direction of this thread has become what is the very central thing that has caused the lack of "fun" in the forum and lead to some inactivity by posters, or the shear abandonment by some...not the negative, not the positive posting.

The dead horse is being beaten ...repeatedly, and this happens all over the place here. It gets to the point where it is no longer true discussion, just the continual beating of the dead horse. And to be clear, this is coming from all sides of the issues ..those who just love the VS and those who are concerned by it.

Each poster feels that they have to post a defense or offense with every new post that contradicts their thought on the issue with nothing new really being stated. They post over and over with merely a re-wording of the previous statements made in the hopes that someone will see their light and that they can beat their point into the other if only they can find the right combination of words, or they post again because the thread has become so lengthy that their post is buried and it is time to restate it, because clearly it has been missed. Again, this is from both sides ...not just the "antis" and not just the "pros"

The discussion has become one huge circle. Basically, some feel that the VS supports less criticism and more focusing on the good and thus, if you are in the more negative sphere at the moment, you naturally feel threatened by what this may mean for your ability to post your current dissatisfactions. Basically, some feel that the vision statement does not limit discussion and cannot see where anyone could interpret the VS to mean you cannot post criticisms. Then there are those who just feel as long as they are respectful and stick to the topic of the thread, regardless of their glowing positivity or dark negativity, all will be fine. Reading through the thread, these seem to be the main points...being made over, and over, and over again.
          Finally, some sense! Thank you CalmStorm.
          "Trust me. I'm a psychopath." Jekyll

"And I thought the end of the world couldn't get any worse" Ianto-Torchwood

Comment

Originally posted by TameFarrar View Post
            FOB I am going to suggest that you read through the thread a bit
            as the concerns you have raised have been addressed a few times
            *gulps* 14 pages.

Crikey.

Sorry about that Tame. Will tackle the thread when it's not 5am.

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

Folks it has been extremely helpful to have ALL of the suggestions and I know Darren will be very thoughtful in his undertaking of all of these as he works on his next version.

However since it does seem as though we are re-hashing things in a circle here we are going to close this thread and give everyone a breather for a bit

Thank You ALL for your input so far

Comment

Hi all,

The "Community Vision" as I'm now calling it it complete (and, of course, always subject to revision)! Thanks again to everyone for offering some challenging feedback. I hope that the result is something that doesn't make any Stargate fan feel excluded, but also something that challenges us all to make our online home a more pleasant place to be.

Check out the full announcement here:

http://forum.gateworld.net/announcement.php?f=16

And the Community Vision is here:

http://forum.gateworld.net/faq.php?f...ics#faq_vision
                GateWorld Podcast - Info - iTunes - Google
                The Stargate Omnipedia - www.StargateOmnipedia.com
                Stargate Image Gallery - www.StargateGallery.com

Comment

Working...
                X