This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GateWorld Vision Statement (Draft 2) Suggestions Welcome

What follows is the second draft in a working project -- a desire to reform GateWorld Forum into a place that is less hostile and vitriolic, where members focus their time and energies on those things they love about Stargate and not those they hate.

Thank you to everyone who has participated in the conversation so far! This is an on-going conversation among our forum "family," and it continues in this thread. I've gone ahead and closed the first thread, now with over 1,000 posts in less than a week's time, in order to try and keep this on-going conversation accessible to people who are just coming upon it (and making this second draft easier to find).

The start of a new thread should also demonstrate that while the spirit of what we are trying to accomplish remains the same, the first draft of the vision statement has been set aside and is not in force. After reading everyone's feedback I became convinced that there were some basic flaws that required I rewrite a new vision statement, which you will find below in post #2. Let's talk about what's actually in this draft from this point forward.

The new draft is shorter, and more to the point. Note that in consonance with our discussion so far, the terms "negative" and "positive" appear nowhere. (This was never intended to be a thinly veiled pitting of "Antis" versus "Pros," with us saying that the Pros now have their run of the forum and Antis can take a hike.) The term "hostility" does appear but I haven't substituted it for "negativity," because, though I think that eliminating hostility is a lot of what we want to accomplish, it is not everything. It's not only about curbing the fighting and failure to treat one another courteously, but about encouraging everyone to spend their time talking about those elements of the show they love, and not those they hate. This is what we meant by the use of the generic term "positive."

I have read every single post in the first thread, and for those who raised concerns about the first draft of the vision statement, I hope that you find this draft more agreeable. Again, it's a work in progress and not "settled law." Maybe we'll find that it needs a lot more discussion and another round or two of revisions, or maybe we're a lot closer now than we were at the start of the week. I don't expect we'll reach anything close to 100 percent endorsement, but I'm eager to hear what you think about the progress we're making.

In the continuing discussion, I and the other mods will continue to do our best to answer questions and clarify where our thinking is at right now. But there has been a great deal of repetition thus far, so I encourage everyone to press on to new areas and suggestions. This is still a work in progress, and while we won't reach 100 percent approval among members, we do want to make an honest attempt at incorporating the diversity of views.
    GateWorld Podcast - Info - iTunes - Google
    The Stargate Omnipedia - www.StargateOmnipedia.com
    Stargate Image Gallery - www.StargateGallery.com

The GateWorld Community Vision Statement

GateWorld exists as a place for fans all over the world to enhance their enjoyment of the Stargate franchise by sharing it with others. Our vision for this forum is that it will be an open and welcoming place for the enjoyment of Stargate and science fiction, a place free of hostility where we communicate and build friendships, and a home that is open to challenging discussions. While we affirm everyone's right to critique things they do not like, we request that such comments be made with tact and respect for others. Our forum may be large, but it is our home, and we want to spend our time talking about the things we enjoy about our favorite shows.
    Each member, thread, and post will be held to this standard: "Is what I am doing contributing to making the forum what we want it to be?"

What does this new vision statement for the character and shape of our community mean, in practical terms? Here are a few guiding principles:
    • Focus your time and energy on those things that like about Stargate. Not everyone likes every aspect or episode of a show, and you may certainly express your dislikes. But we want GateWorld to be a place that is fun to visit, a place to above all else celebrate what we love about Stargate.

• We value freedom of speech and the value of all voices, but we insist that those voices speak in courteous and respectful ways. This applies equally to those who are criticizing something and those who are defending it.

• When you express a dislike, don't dwell on it. Have your say and then move on to those things that you like about the show. If it comes up again in another topic or a new episode, feel free to extend your remarks insofar as you have something new to say. Don't let your hatred of a character, a writer, or a storyline become the thing that defines you.

• There are many places to play at GateWorld. If you find that you don't enjoy much of anything about the current Stargate series, you might have fun talking about a past show, a different sci-fi series, or just shooting the breeze in the Off-Topic folder. Maybe one day, when Stargate does something that you will enjoy, you can venture into those threads and talk about something you do like about the show.

• Treat your fellow forum members with respect and kindness. This has been one of our forum rules from the beginning, but as we look forward it bears repeating. Behind every username is a real person with feelings. Allow others to hold and to voice their opinions, just as you have the freedom to voice your own. A difference of opinion is not an attack on you or a debate challenge.

Our vision for what we want GateWorld to be comes down to this: Find what you like about the show, and post about that. You don't have to like everything, and you don't have to refrain from posting criticisms. This is not a "ban on negativity," but on outright hostility toward the show, its creators, and other members of the forum. We are here primarily to celebrate those things we love (or loved) about Stargate. Spend your time and effort there.

"GateWorld exists as a place for fans all over the world to enhance their enjoyment of the Stargate franchise by sharing it with others." So get into a thought-provoking discussion with someone who holds different views. Tell us what you liked and didn't like about this week's new episode. Squee over beloved characters and relationships on the show. Share your love of Stargate with others.

Comment

Originally posted by Darren View Post
      • Focus your time and energy on those things that like about Stargate. Not everyone likes every aspect or episode of a show, and you may certainly express your dislikes. But we want GateWorld to be a place that is fun to visit, a place to above all else celebrate what we love about Stargate.
      • When you express a dislike, don't dwell on it. Have your say and then move on to those things that you like about the show. If it comes up again in another topic or a new episode, feel free to extend your remarks insofar as you have something new to say. Don't let your hatred of a character, a writer, or a storyline become the thing that defines you.
      See, I think everyone here likes (liked) something about the show and cares enough about it to come here as a form of recreation. My issue with these portions of the vision statement is that, let me just say, talking all day about what you do like doesn't generate the most interesting conversation and debate.

If I don't like something, I'm not just going to state it and move on. I'm going to want to engage in discussion about it and get into a debate. Debate does not always mean hostile, I've had a number of friendly debates on here that have been fun and if I just simply stated what I didn't like and dropped it and moved on to a different topic.

Comment

Great job! Thanks for taking people's concerns into consideration and really reworking this second draft, Darren (and the Mods?).

I've supported the new vision all along, so I can't say I find much to critique, but I do have a question about something you haven't touched on in this draft.

For clarification purposes;

What will be the general format for the new SGU folder with respect to threads for seasonal discussion, episode discussion, and characters?
        sigpic

Comment

Well, so much for making it more balanced and less hostile to those with a less-than-favorable opinion. Instead you've chosen to make those bits bold just in case we didn't get the hint the first time.

Oh well. Not like I was planning to spend much time in the on topic areas, anyway. Guess I'll just keep them off my list entirely. And pray that this revitalization doesn't sweep the rest of the forum or I really WILL be out of a home.

Comment

Originally posted by Reiko View Post
            See, I think everyone here likes (liked) something about the show and cares enough about it to come here as a form of recreation. My issue with these portions of the vision statement is that, let me just say, talking all day about what you do like doesn't generate the most interesting conversation and debate.

If I don't like something, I'm not just going to state it and move on. I'm going to want to engage in discussion about it and get into a debate. Debate does not always mean hostile, I've had a number of friendly debates on here that have been fun and if I just simply stated what I didn't like and dropped it and moved on to a different topic.
            I for one, and you probably know this already, will be more than happy to engage in such discussion and debates with you and other people.

I don't think Darren is discouraging discussion between people who like and dislike an aspect of the show.

Right, Darren?
            sigpic

Comment

Hey Darren,

I have to say that I am truly liking the new direction with GW. I think if you guys...

1.) elminate the rep system
              2.) Enforce rules harder about baiting and trolling
              3.) Allow both opinions to exsist but to the point where it does not seem innappropriate to either side or like you said dwelling on it.

4.) Break down the Anti and Pro walls aka as the Praise and Complaints walls so all threads can have both sides of the coin posting on them.

5.) Heavier moderation

I think you will have a better forum with more civil discussions and more respect going around.

Again, it is up to everyone to pitch in for this to work. Every member is going to have to compromise and play ball. The folks who don't want to play ball may not find GW suitable to them.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat View Post
                Well, so much for making it more balanced and less hostile to those with a less-than-favorable opinion. Instead you've chosen to make those bits bold just in case we didn't get the hint the first time.
                Originally posted by Darren View Post
                • We value freedom of speech and the value of all voices, but we insist that those voices speak in courteous and respectful ways. This applies equally to those who are criticizing something and those who are defending it.
                With what exactly do you have a problem if Darren said the above?
                sigpic

Comment

Significantly better Darren.
                  sigpic
                  Mourning Sanctuary.
                  Thanks for the good times!

Comment

Originally posted by Reiko View Post

I agree with Reiko here. It feels like voices are being stymied.

Originally posted by Vision Statement Version 2
                    When you express a dislike, don't dwell on it. Have your say and then move on to those things that you like about the show. If it comes up again in another topic or a new episode, feel free to extend your remarks insofar as you have something new to say. Don't let your hatred of a character, a writer, or a storyline become the thing that defines you.
                    Maybe is should read more like this:

Be aware that strong feelings can sway conversations into heated and sometimes nasty conversations. If you are in a passionate conversation or feeling particularly strong about an issue(s), take the time to think before putting fingers to the keyboard. Get your point across without making the other poster(s) feel threaten and then push the conversation forward. Don't get stuck on proving who is right or who is wrong, or that you are not being listened to; that is not what this forum is about.

Don't let your anger of a character, a writer, or a storyline become the thing that defines you.
                    sigpic

www.facebook.com/pages/DavidNyklFans/402742713123717

Comment

Originally posted by Rosehawk View Post
                      I agree with Reiko here. It feels like voices are being stymied.

Maybe is should read more like this:

Be aware that strong feelings can sway conversations into heated and sometimes nasty conversations. If you are in a passionate conversation or feeling particularly strong about an issue(s), take the time to think before putting fingers to the keyboard. Get your point across without making the other poster(s) feel threaten and then push the conversation forward. Don't get stuck on proving who is right or who is wrong, or that you are not being listened to; that is not what this forum is about.

Don't let your anger of a character, a writer, or a storyline become the thing that defines you.
                      I actually like your revision very much. It's more generalized and less aimed towards posts that hold negative views.

It was, is, and always will be GREEN

Comment

At the end of the day, this is a FAN site. So, while it works to acknowledge things that one may/may not like, if one cannot find an element of it that they are a fan of and that they can enjoy...what's the fun in spending time here?

Find some part of the show that you like and enjoy it.
                        Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Pandora's_Box View Post
                          I for one, and you probably know this already, will be more than happy to engage in such discussion and debates with you and other people.

I don't think Darren is discouraging discussion between people who like and dislike an aspect of the show.
                          Yes, I do.

I don't think he's disencouraging discussion between people either. But still, the two things I'm still iffy on are bullets number one and three. (More so number three if I had to choose).

Yes, I have fun here, and sometimes part of that fun is stating my less-than-popular opinions. But as long as I don't troll around into protected threads, be pushy in discussion threads and state what I think respectfully, is there an inherant problem with me doing that?

Comment

Originally posted by Pandora's_Box View Post
                            What will be the general format for the new SGU folder with respect to threads for seasonal discussion, episode discussion, and characters?
                            There are presently no plans to structure the seasons and episode discussion any differently for SGU -- a folder for Season One, and subfolders for each episode. What we will do is merge threads that we don't think merit a stand-alone thread (a discrete, new topic) into the episode's General Discussion thread more aggressively.

If you have alternate suggestions for structuring those folders, feel free to PM me or start a new thread.

Comment

I'll still be safe in OT right? I can still be snarky and cynical and brash and negative and all the stuff that makes me me, right? You aren't going to sweep that folder under the Happiness Carpet too, are you?

Comment

Working...
                              X