Goa'uld Thunk/Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MerryK View Post
    Yes, exactly! They flaunt everything they've got, and no wonder people believe they're gods. I love any character who's self-assured or confident, and protagonists are sometimes a little too humble to be cool. I still love them, but the Goa'uld have that coolness factor that's fun to watch. Unfortunately, only Adria ever achieved that for the Ori (though there are some Wraith on Atlantis that match up nicely).
    Yep - that's exactly why the Goa'uld are cool - they are extremely confident. As you say - people do believe they are gods on their planets.

I like Hathor best, and Osiris. They are just really sexy and confident. Apophis is doing a good job as well, as is Ba'al. I'm actually impressed by 'Zippy' - the first time we see him he strolls in wearing that 'hat', makeup, and skirt - and he looks as if he is convinced that the others are just really badly dressed, and what he is wearing is the height of fashion. Brilliant! Even Jack doesn't comment on it.
    sigpic
    Thanks to Roeskva for the smilies

Comment

One of the most awesome lines from a Goa'uld is Ba'al when he's working with Sam and Jacob, and he says they should push a certain button. They ask how he knows, and he responds with the quirkiest of smiles and: "I am a god. Gods are all knowing." He knows they know he's lying, but he says it anyway.
      Haha - yes...he's really pushing it - saying he is a god to a Tok'ra and a former Tok'ra - no audience could be more convinced he is wrong!
      sigpic

Comment

I have to say the SG costume department did a really great job with all the Goa'uld costumes. If you ever look back (as I have) there is a massive amount of detail in them. And the greatest (sexiest) piece of Goa'uld technology ever:

Spoiler:

I have to agree with what others have said about Goa'uld confindence and attitude.

Like Ba'al said "We're smart enough to know we're not actually gods ... Well, some of us are anyway -- there are always those who will begin to believe their own propaganda. I suppose all you need is enough people to worship you and then what's the difference; you're pretty much a god by definition, are you not?"
        Last edited by humanityspotential; 18 December 2008, 02:14 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by humanityspotential View Post
          I have to say the SG costume department did a really great job with all the Goa'uld costumes. If you ever look back (as I have) there is a massive amount of detail in them. And the greatest (sexiest) piece of Goa'uld technology ever:

Spoiler:

I have to agree with what others have said about Goa'uld confindence and attitude.

Like Ba'al said "We're smart enough to know we're not actually gods ... Well, some of us are anyway -- there are always those who will begin to believe their own propaganda. I suppose all you need is enough people to worship you and then what's the difference; you're pretty much a god by definition, are you not?"
          That's a good point - I agree they know they're not gods, but some may start to believe they are after many millenia of being worshipped as one and being able to rule over life and death of lots of people. Kings and such on Earth sometimes got a little delusional in that department as well

I absolutely love the Goa'uld also. They're sexy and smart (mostly) and very confident. And they dress so over the top it's just great. Who can help but love that! And I would like nothing better than to have a ribbon device - they're the coolest weapon ever! All I need is to become a host (to a Tok'ra...I don't love the Goa'uld that much...) and then I can use it!
          sigpic
          button and banner made by Luciana SAVE MARTOUF/LANTASH!

Comment

Originally posted by BlueMushroom View Post
            I like Hathor best, and Osiris. They are just really sexy and confident. Apophis is doing a good job as well, as is Ba'al. I'm actually impressed by 'Zippy' - the first time we see him he strolls in wearing that 'hat', makeup, and skirt - and he looks as if he is convinced that the others are just really badly dressed, and what he is wearing is the height of fashion. Brilliant! Even Jack doesn't comment on it.
            You're right—Zippy is awesome in a cheesy cool kind of way.

No one's mentioned Tanith yet...great job at trying to infiltrate the Tok'ra, even if they did have the one-up on him. Very smooth and creepy. He probably ranks up there with Osiris as the most patient and most able to imitate good guys.

~Friendshipping (among others) the two most awesome women of Stargate.
            ~My Stargate fanfic can be found on my Livejournal

Comment

Hi - I like the Goa'uld too. Apophis and Hathor are my fave SG chars!

Comment

Originally posted by cutietux View Post
                Hi - I like the Goa'uld too. Apophis and Hathor are my fave SG chars!
                Welcome! Those two seem to go together—Skadi and GeneralSelmak also seem to like them best.

Comment

Favorite Goauld:

Prettiest Goa'uld:

"I'm too Sexy" Goa'uld:

Thinks he's Sexy:

actually is sexy:

*the host isn't bad either

My favorite of the Lady-Goa'ulds is probably Amaunet:

She has more mystery to her than the other goaulds, and has such cool outfits!

My favorite goaulds to make fun of are Zipacna, Apophis and Hathor. Hathor because a friend of mine likes to dress up as her, heheh

Comment

Nice picspam, Nebulan! I like your comments.

Comment

Great picspam, nebulan. Thanks for posting
                      sigpic

Comment

So...how evil do you think the Goa'uld are, in general or for specific ones? And what do you think the ratio was between inborn genetic memory, individual personality, and prolonged sarcophagus use?

Comment

So...how evil do you think the Goa'uld are, in general or for specific ones? And what do you think the ratio was between inborn genetic memory, individual personality, and prolonged sarcophagus use?
                          I think very little is individual personality, and most a combination of genetic memory and prolonged sarcophagus use. We have seen that - some at least - can look past their genetic memory (Kianna's Goa'uld, Egeria, Jolinar, Garshaw perhaps), and then seem nice persons. That part is probably due to individual personality and circumstances - what has happened to them in their life.

I think many of the Goa'uld are not so much evil, as feeling they are so much above others that what they do to them doesn't matter. Their genetic memory comes in here as well - they have the memory of generations of people who have believed they were better, have lived in luxury with slaves, have treated humans and Jaffa as less than sentient beings.
                          This I think of as when kings and nobles grew up in luxury and learning contempt for the lower classes. They were not evil either, as much as they were ignorant of the consequences - and often had learned to believe that it was their god given right or even duty to be this way.

It must be even more difficult not to behave the way the Goa'uld do, with that many more years of memories of that kind. Something which makes what Egeria and others like her did, be so much more impressive.

Then the sarcophagus comes in, and we know it makes people mad/unstable, megalomaniac, uncaring about others (think of Daniel laughing at Jack being hit by a guard in 'Need' - after only a couple days at most), apparantly unable to see the consequences of their actions. When you get that on top of those memories, it must be nearly impossible to think clearly and see that what all others have said is right, is actually wrong. I am actually surprised the Goa'uld are no worse than what they are! Humans would be exactly the same, given the same circumstances.

So, I think the Goa'ulds are mostly victims of their memories and the sarcophagus, except for a few like Anubis who are probably evil because of their personality - people which even other Goa'uld consider so evil they wanted to stop them!

I believe the genetic memory is a very tempting risk that takes a lot to overcome, but more would be able to if it were not for the sarcophagus - which I believe is what truly tips them over.

My guess:
                          45% genetic memory + 50% sarcophagus + 5% personality = evil

But in many areas the Goa'uld are just like everyone else, and don't behave evilly. If you look at Apophis...they still have loved ones, pride over their children (very obvious when he looks at Klorel), probably a "normal" life/personality in other areas. At least I think so...

I'll shut up now...

Skadi
                          sigpic
                          Smilies made by Roeskva (http://www.tokra.dk/smilies.html)

"Hear this. The days of the Goa'uld System Lords are numbered. Tell them that I died with hope. My death only feeds the fire that burns strong in the Tok'ra." (Jolinar, "In the Line of Duty")

Comment

Wow - I think I'm just going to agree with that very long and thorough Goa'uld discussion
                            sigpic
                            button and banner made by Luciana SAVE MARTOUF/LANTASH!

Comment

Originally posted by CaptJanson View Post
                              Wow - I think I'm just going to agree with that very long and thorough Goa'uld discussion
                              LOL. Me too.

Although, I think we see a good deal of difference between the Goa'uld and how they work. For instance, Chronus is very hard on his Jaffa, but Ba'al seems to be more manipulative.

Comment

LOL. Me too.

Although, I think we see a good deal of difference between the Goa'uld and how they work. For instance, Chronus is very hard on his Jaffa, but Ba'al seems to be more manipulative.
                                Ba'al is especially interesting. In Abyss he was pretty nasty... even cloning himself... I absolutely loved the team working with him in Quest and in Continuum:
                                Spoiler:
                                He seemed like he'd be a better ruler than the other Goa'ulds like Qetesh. He wanted to enslave Earth, but let them keep living their lives so some degree.

I think like Egeria and them were able to get past the bad memories... some Goa'ulds possibly had the chance to get past their evil memories and chose not too, lol!

So... any thoughts about how the goauld started out black/green with red eyes to being tan/pinkish with no eyes?
                                Last edited by nebulan; 20 December 2008, 05:34 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X