Stargate: Ragnarok

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stargate: Ragnarok

Normally I don't do this, but given how much I've enjoyed writing this particular fic and how much I've put into it, I decided to promote it a little. Hope that's okay.

Anyway, Stargate: Ragnarok is my attempt at an SG-1 spin-off, and sort of my answer to the "if you don't like SGU, why don't you try writing a Stargate series" question. This is the main focus of my fic-writing efforts.

Without spoiling anything, it's set after Continuum in the Milky Way galaxy, and it deals with a new team (with a twist on the usual) and a big discovery they make that relates to the Asgard Legacy in an unusual way.

I'd be very, very interested to hear what you all think of it, so here's the link:

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/4720855/..._Veiled_Legacy

Okay, there's not much posted so far, just a taster, but more will be posted very soon...like, tomorrow, most probably!

EDIT: If you're interested, I recommend reading the fics before the rest of this thread, as there are major spoilers for all parts.
    Last edited by Sealurk; 16 September 2009, 09:35 AM. Reason: spoiler warning
    And now it's time for one last bow, like all your other selves. Eleven's hour is over now... the clock is striking Twelve's.
    sigpic
    Stargate Ragnarok | FF.net | AO3 | Lakeside | My Fallout 3 Mods | Poppy Appeal | Help For Heroes | Combat Stress

Just an update - the final three chapters will be posted tomorrow. I'd like to know what you think.
    And now it's time for one last bow, like all your other selves. Eleven's hour is over now... the clock is striking Twelve's.
    sigpic
    Stargate Ragnarok | FF.net | AO3 | Lakeside | My Fallout 3 Mods | Poppy Appeal | Help For Heroes | Combat Stress

Comment

I have to say that this is a pretty good story so far. I love your writting style and the story moved very well.

I would have thought that there would be more than only two British teams at the SGC. Also I do not think that the SGC would give anyone access to go through the gate to an unknown region of space like the one described without a lot more time to investigate it more. I personnaly believe that they would have waited until the Apollo arrived to do more intensive scans of the area. Also at this time there is no major enemy in the Home galaxy. So patince would be the dominating factor...a little peace time military philosiphy "Saftey first".

That being said this has definatley being added to my continue to read list.

Comment

Originally posted by altimasmitty View Post
        I have to say that this is a pretty good story so far. I love your writting style and the story moved very well.

I would have thought that there would be more than only two British teams at the SGC. Also I do not think that the SGC would give anyone access to go through the gate to an unknown region of space like the one described without a lot more time to investigate it more. I personnaly believe that they would have waited until the Apollo arrived to do more intensive scans of the area. Also at this time there is no major enemy in the Home galaxy. So patince would be the dominating factor...a little peace time military philosiphy "Saftey first".

That being said this has definatley being added to my continue to read list.
        Thank you! As far as the points you raise go:

Spoiler:

A) They're only the first two British teams at the SGC, so far. Essentially a trial run. More will certainly follow, especially if Gen. Bullock has anything to say about it. And the Russians only have one known team, but you're right - there should be more!

B) Ordinarily, you're right, the SGC wouldn't allow them to do what they did so quickly, but I tried to introduce a time element which I may have forgotten to emphasise, in addition to the drive (touched upon by Halverson) to claim whatever it is for the UK.

Anyway, the remaining few chapters should be going up soon, and hopefully they'll smooth the story out a little.
        sigpic

Comment

You touched on the fact that the UK wanted to be the ones to get ahold of the tech. However, being a military man and knowing that the UK is one of four major allies, we would be more inclined to share technical knowledge with them, more so than the Russians. In the original SG-1 this was never really brought up, so I will give you the benefit on that.

Comment

Just read the latest chapter, it's scary.
            Spoiler:
            Who knew those werewolves were so deadly?

Comment

Originally posted by Talus View Post
              Just read the latest chapter, it's scary.
              Spoiler:
              Who knew those werewolves were so deadly?
              I'm happy to hear that - I wasn't sure if I'd pulled it off properly. Incidentally, is the scariness a good or bad thing in your opinion?
              sigpic

Comment

Good. It draws the reader's attention more and it's also unexpected which makes it brilliant.

Comment

i was really not expecting the werewolfs! furlings? i was kind of expecting something more british obviously not merlin stuff since you had already gone asgardy but possibly something to do with vikings seeing as they liked trips to blighty. Though i suppose werewolves are quite british (first known use of the term is in wales), though the mythology is common across most of europe. Please don't say the teams will end up using silver bullets and being scared of the full moon.

BUt anyway it looks like you're going more Norse than British in terms of mythology. Prey tell will we be seeing Loki and perhaps even the crystal skull aliens? anyway will there be a return of 7 asgard at the end? perhaps 7 asgard ships?

Comment

Don't worry, I'm aware that silver bullets are a very modern addition to the werewolf myth! In fact, I'm planning for Halverson to comment on this and other aspects of the werewolf myth in the next story. As for the other things - shapeshifting, full moons, etc, I'll be tackling these soon enough, and not necessarily in predictable ways. Hopefully!

I decided to go with werewolves because I feel recent Stargate has been lacking in the mythology department, and while vampires are overused and everywhere nowadays, not explicitly linking the Wraith to the abundance of vampire legends across Earth was a big mistake in my eyes. I chose the next mythological archetype, one with quite a large grounding in worldwide myths in various forms. And yes, Dog Soldiers was part of my research for this story.

As for the Norse influence and potential lack of British-ness...well, a great deal of British folklore has an incredibly strong relation to Norse myth, especially with regards to wolves and dogs. The Barghest, Black Shuck, and most Black Dogs in British folklore are directly linked to Norse wolf myths. This will be touched upon in a following story. I may find ways of linking Arthurian myth and the Ancients to the story, but there aren't any concrete plans yet.

As for Loki, the Crystal Skull aliens and the return of the Asgard...maybe - quite, quite possibly, in fact. Since Stargate: Ragnarok deals with the legacy of the Asgard, there's a good chance.
                    sigpic

Comment

simply awsome....
                      McKay: "We need the Zed-Pee-Em to power the gate."
                      O'Neill: "Huh?"
                      Daniel: "Zee-Pee-Em. He's Canadian."
                      O'Neill (to McKay): I'm sorry.

Comment

Thanks! After numerous delays, the next chapter should be going up in an hour or so.
                        sigpic

Comment

Okay - Chapter 5, the final part of Stargate: Ragnarok's "pilot" is up. Let me know what you think, and if you want to see more.

BTW I've intentionally not touched on certain issues or the implications of several events because they will ideally form the basis of stories to come.
                          sigpic

Comment

So when is the next "episode" coming up? I've been looking forward to it for ages
                            If Algeria introduced a resolution declaring that the earth was flat and that Israel had flattened it, it would pass by a vote of 164 to 13 with 26 abstentions.- Abba Eban.

Comment

I must admit that when I decided to read a little bit of this. I thought it wasn't going to be that good. Then I kept reading and started to like it. Your focus on the characters and their interactions with each other is a refreshing change of pace.

Your details of the environment also make it more enjoyable to read. Helps me imagine the environment the characters are in and what they are feeling.

Not to mention you are including mythology into story to make the story fit into the Stargate universe.

I eagerly await the next chapters.

Edit: P.S. Holy **** that was just the pilot episode? I thought I had read through like your first 5 "episodes" lol.
                              Last edited by Harkonnen; 21 December 2008, 12:56 AM. Reason: Added P.S

Comment

Working...
                              X