This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The character breakdowns...

I might be late coming into this but I just re-read the character breakdowns for casting spells and they sound awfully familiar. It's like the writers didn't really want to try something new at all and wanted to recycle old, used and familiar characters (played by different actors).

Apologizes if this is old and tried.

Colonel Everett Young – Described as "40's handsome, capable, former SG team leader" who is "like the Jack O'Neill of ten years ago", yet with sharper edges. At the beginning of Stargate Universe, he has been married for two years and is the temporary commander of a secret off-world base.
    My reaction: They even mention Jack by name. It's Jack2!

Tamara Jon – An SGC field medic in her early twenties with off-world experience. She has a modest background, yet is "beautiful, tough, smart, capable." At the beginning of the series, she is overwhelmed by the lack of medical knowledge, experience, medicine and supplies aboard the ship.
    My reaction: Oh, Jennifer. Did you get plastic surgery?

Chloe Carpenter – A "stunning and sexy" daughter of a US Senator around her twenties, whose character is tested "after her father's tragic death and the dire circumstances of being trapped on a spaceship".
    My reaction: This is pretty much the only character who's new. But what's with the need of describing all female characters as "sexy", "stunning" and "beautiful"? Is that the only kind of women they want to cast for Stargate leads?

Eli Hitchcock – A "total slacker" in his early twenties and an "utter genius" in mathematics, computers and other fields. He is a social outcast with an "acerbic sense of humor", and lacks confidence in his intelligence. The character breakdown compares him to "Matt Damon's character from Good Will Hunting with a little Jack Black thrown in".
    My reaction: It's basically Rodney with Daniel's initial naivete and lack of confidence.

Lt. Jared Nash – A skilled and well-trained Junior SGC member in his early twenties who is "mentally unprepared for the urgency of the situation" aboard the ship.
    My reaction: Ford's finally coming back!

Ron "Psycho" Stasiak – A "big, strong, silent" marine aged 20 with a mysterious past who lacks control over his temper in non-combat situations. The character breakdown compares him to Eric Bana's character "Hoot" in Black Hawk Down.
    My reaction: It's Ronon, only crazier!

What's with this? The core characteristics of the characters were almost directly lifted from former regulars! I mean, it's not wrong per se. But weren't they supposed to, in their own words, do something completely new and not at all like the old shows? I guess it only extends to the plot, not the characters?

Originally posted by FallenAngelII View Post
    What's with this? The core characteristics of the characters were almost directly lifted from former regulars! I mean, it's not wrong per se. But weren't they supposed to, in their own words, do something completely new and not at all like the old shows? I guess it only extends to the plot, not the characters?
    These are the most basic character outlines; something for people auditioning to use to get a very basic feel for the character they're reading for.

It's impossible to delve deep into a character's psyche in 2 or 3 sentences. I imagine very many characters would sound alike if you did that.

The doctor character could also be described as being Sam minus the confidence, and she and Rodney are nothing alike aside from being geniuses.
    sigpic

Comment

did it occur to you that most characters arent make or break by their description in the most simplistic form, but rather by their development. i mean, these are scriptless actorless empty hulls with some writing on it on whats it roughly gonna be. i mean, rodney is oneil+tealc, with some more caveman attitude. does that make him appealing? no. sheppard=oneill with a younger taste and no dead son. does that make him appealing? no, but in the end, hes different. hes the hero cause he is one, not a jack who is big bad millitary guy with a dead son. he is divorced, yea. but he never had a son and he never died. jack is different.

so in the end, these empty descriptions mean nothing.

Comment

I think that a thread talking about the new character breakdowns would be a good thing. It is indeed quite possible that the characters are similar to other past SG shows. However, I cannot see anything productive in this thread. I am going to close it down and I hope that FA will take his thread idea (which I have to say is an excellent one - I would like to have a discussion on the character breakdown) and repost it. Perhaps start with the character breakdown, and then post your opinion on this. That way you'll leave it a bit more open for people to post their own opinions too, both good and bad. Thanks.
        sigpic

Comment

Working...
        X