Thoughts on "Dual" (Spoliers?) and Volume 3 in General

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thoughts on "Dual" (Spoliers?) and Volume 3 in General

So there was so much I liked about this episode like Sylar going all “Andrew Ryan” from Bioshock and screwing with everyone over the intercom. Brilliant. And he was into some real Supervillain stuff like giving Claire a choice between saving her Dad/Bio-Mom or her Grandma. But then, like all the episodes this season, there was stuff I absolutely HATED.

OK, “The Hunger” has to be the WORST plot device ever. Seriously. So OK, was it Bennett and Elle who made Sylar like this or The Hunger? Because he has blamed both and at this point he just sounds like a whiny little baby. “Wah, your dad and Elle made me like this.” “Wah, I can’t fight the Hunger.” “Wah, Wah, Wah.” (Nod to Artie Lange). It’s time to take responsibility for your own actions, Mr. Gray. And here’s another example of The Hunger being the worst plot device ever: Last season Sylar loses his powers (company virus) but keeps The Hunger, this season he loses his powers (eclipse) AND loses The Hunger. So, which one is it? Is it tied to the power or not. It’s just another example of the show changing existing canon to fit a current situation and as I’ve said before about this, it reeks of laziness and bad writing.

And speaking of bad writing, what is with Speedy Blondzales’ lines? OMG if she says one more time how she runs really, really fast, I’M gonna run really, really fast… AWAY FROM THIS SHOW and never look back. God I want to like her character since she went good and teamed up with Matt and Hiro/Ando, but her poor dialogue is making it very difficult for me.

This show used to inspire something in me. It used to speak to me on a VERY deep level, but now it’s just gotten WAY too convoluted for it’s own good. Now there’s stuff I love about the episodes and it’s stuff I absolutely deplore. And I know what people are going to say already: “It’s just a show. You’re looking too deep into it.” Am I though? In the first season the story and mythology was deep, rich, and complicated, but in a good way. All the little things made sense in the story (except maybe for some of the time travel stuff but it’s almost impossible to do time travel correctly anyway because of it’s inherent paradoxical nature) but now a lot of it doesn’t make sense and it’s just irritating and disappointing. Well, with all that said, I’m still going to be there every Monday waiting to see what superhero stories the writers can weave, I just hope by “Fugitives” some of these problems can be corrected…
    Last edited by Buddhawasanancient; 16 December 2008, 03:51 AM.
    sigpic

Originally posted by Buddhawasanancient View Post
    So there was so much I liked about this episode like Sylar going all “Andrew Ryan” from Bioshock and screwing with everyone over the intercom. Brilliant. And he was into some real Supervillain stuff like giving Claire a choice between saving her Dad/Bio-Mom or her Grandma. But then, like all the episodes this season, there was stuff I absolutely HATED.

OK, “The Hunger” has to be the WORST plot device ever. Seriously. So OK, was it Bennett and Elle who made Sylar like this or The Hunger? Because he has blamed both and at this point he just sounds like a whiny little baby. “Wah, your dad and Elle made me like this.” “Wah, I can’t fight the Hunger.” “Wah, Wah, Wah.” (Nod to Artie Lange). It’s time to take responsibility for your own actions, Mr. Gray. And here’s another example of The Hunger being the worst plot device ever: Last season Sylar loses his powers (company virus) but keeps The Hunger, this season he loses his powers (eclipse) AND loses The Hunger. So, which one is it? Is it tied to the power or not. It’s just another example of the show changing existing canon to fit a current situation and as I’ve said before about this, it reeks of laziness and bad writing.

And speaking of bad writing, what is with Speedy Blondzales’ lines? OMG if she says one more time how she runs really, really fast, I’M gonna run really, really fast… AWAY FROM THIS SHOW and never look back. God I want to like her character since she went good and teamed up with Matt and Hiro/Ando, but her poor dialogue is making it very difficult for me.

This show used to inspire something in me. It used to speak to me on a VERY deep level, but now it’s just gotten WAY too convoluted for it’s own good. Now there’s stuff I love about the episodes and it’s stuff I absolutely deplore. And I know what people are going to say already: “It’s just a show. You’re looking too deep into it.” Am I? In the first season the story and mythology was deep, rich, and complicated, but in a good way. All the little things made sense in the story (except maybe for some of the time travel stuff but it’s almost impossible to do time travel correctly anyway because of it’s inherent paradoxical nature) but now a lot of it doesn’t make sense and it’s just irritating and disappointing. Well, with all that said, I’m still going to be there every Monday waiting to see what superhero stories the writers can weave, I just hope by “Fugitives” some of these problems can be corrected…

my opinion of the hunger
    season 2, he kept the hunger because it had become part of his personality, because he had never tried to fight the hunger. but when he lost his power in season 3 he lost the hunger because he'd essentially been rehabilitated by elle, so he could control the hunger as part of the power, therefore without the power he didn't have the hunger, do you see where i'm coming from?
    Spoiler:
    Disclaimer:
    I have been using this username since 1998, it has no connection to "The Last Airbender", or James Cameron's movie.
    Quotes!
    - "Things will not calm down, Daniel Jackson, they will in fact calm up!"
    - "I hope you like Guinness Sir, I find it a refreshing alternative to... food"
    - "I'm Beginning to regret staying up late to watch "Deuce Bigalow: European Gigalo" last night... Check that, i regretted it almost immediately"
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by AvatarIII View Post
      my opinion of the hunger
      season 2, he kept the hunger because it had become part of his personality, because he had never tried to fight the hunger. but when he lost his power in season 3 he lost the hunger because he'd essentially been rehabilitated by elle, so he could control the hunger as part of the power, therefore without the power he didn't have the hunger, do you see where i'm coming from?
      Yeah I get ya but this is another problem I have with the show. Alot of the stuff can be clarified with convoluted explanations, but it's never made clear. We're supposed to be able to think as they do to figure out what they were going for but it's not always made obvious. In the past I've thought of other examples of this but I can't think of any now. If I remember any, I'll post them later.
      sigpic

Comment

Yeah I get ya but this is another problem I have with the show. Alot of the stuff can be clarified with convoluted explanations, but it's never made clear. We're supposed to be able to think as they do to figure out what they were going for but it's not always made obvious. In the past I've thought of other examples of this but I can't think of any now. If I remember any, I'll post them later.
        you are right, but i think we'd be complaining that the writers ware talking down to us if they explained every single thing, sometimes it's best to leave it to our imaginations.

anyway, i continue to watch this show mostly out of morbid curiosity, but i really hope the change in writing staff will improve the writing and bring it back to season 1 level.
        Spoiler:
        Disclaimer:
        I have been using this username since 1998, it has no connection to "The Last Airbender", or James Cameron's movie.
        Quotes!
        - "Things will not calm down, Daniel Jackson, they will in fact calm up!"
        - "I hope you like Guinness Sir, I find it a refreshing alternative to... food"
        - "I'm Beginning to regret staying up late to watch "Deuce Bigalow: European Gigalo" last night... Check that, i regretted it almost immediately"
        sigpic

Comment

Ando's power is interesting, and it kind of makes him the most powerful Hero for those with non physical abilities... just use his ability on them and wham, they're overwhelmed. I wonder if his ability can be turned off by the haitian.

Comment

i thought the hunger concept was ridiculous.

does peter have his powers back now, or others. and if it's his, does he have to reacquire all of them by coming in contact with evryone? or can he just fly?

if peter does have his powers back, i wonder what would happen if ando touched him.
            Vice Admiral and occasionally the Acting Leader of the Gateworld Cantina
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by tombombadil View Post
              i thought the hunger concept was ridiculous.
              Sylars original power, is knowing how things work. Could the Hunger not be connected to that? Him needing to know how powers work, thus needing to cut open somebody's head?

does peter have his powers back now, or others. and if it's his, does he have to reacquire all of them by coming in contact with evryone? or can he just fly?
              I would have thought, that he has his original mimic power back, which should grant him the ability to fly, play with fire (Flints power), and whatever Mohinder has.

if peter does have his powers back, i wonder what would happen if ando touched him.
              Ando's power is... overrated, and there is a flaw in it. It enhances ones ability, however, how would that enhance say... teleportation / time travel? how would it enhahce mimicing? how would it enhance flying?
              sigpic
              It's Probin' Time!

Comment

Originally posted by knowsfords View Post
                Ando's power is interesting, and it kind of makes him the most powerful Hero for those with non physical abilities... just use his ability on them and wham, they're overwhelmed. I wonder if his ability can be turned off by the haitian.
                Yeah I'm intrigued by Ando's power as well. I'm interested to see how the writers use it. And while we're on the subject of Ando, let me add to my complaints before about Daphne's "Really fast" thing by saying Ando's line "Wow she is really fast" might be the single worst piece of writing I've ever heard. I was blown away by the ridiculousness and complete cheese factor. Almost as bad as Arthur telling Peter, "You're Grounded" earlier in the season...
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by AvatarIII View Post
                  my opinion of the hunger
                  I agree with the above the explanation it pretty much work like alcoholic one cannot stop drink if they do not have the will power and perhaps a little push, Angela provided both.

Know you just got to think on your own and not rely on explanations given in the show. Yep no dumbing down here, and hopefully it stays that way, think for yourself and not wait for the writers to explain it in the show.

As to the episode simply awesome, got feeling this is probably the one that went way over budget, every one using their powers in this one and the dual plotline made it descent.

And well we had smart peter, smart Hiro what more are we to expect. I disappointed they split the characters up this time and althrough they got rid of Hero powers permanently, they had to go and give away for someone else to use time travel.

And well what peter absorb both Ando and Dalfany will he be able to time travel again.
                  And yeah it seem peter powers has been reset, Nathan the evil bad guy.
                  But seriousl how in the hell are they going to arrest the head of a multi billion dollors company without a few media people getting hold of it.

And I see they already going to bring the electronic control kid back and probably his cousin back into the plot.

Comment

Originally posted by knowles2 View Post
                    Know you just got to think on your own and not rely on explanations given in the show. Yep no dumbing down here, and hopefully it stays that way, think for yourself and not wait for the writers to explain it in the show.
                    OK if it's something kinda obvious, but half the time it's a complete stretch to figure out something they've left open like that and you're not even sure if the explanation you've come up with is the right one or even one thought of by anyone else watching the show...
                    sigpic

Comment

OK if it's something kinda obvious, but half the time it's a complete stretch to figure out something they've left open like that and you're not even sure if the explanation you've come up with is the right one or even one thought of by anyone else watching the show...
                      And that why we got lovely forums to speak to fellow fans and see what they think about subjects.

Comment

While this Volume had its ups and downs, overall, I really enjoyed it. Personally, I think Heroes has regained some of what made it so great in Season 1. I really can't wait for Volume 4 to get started.
                        sigpic
                        MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
                        "...phu...ah..."
                        "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
                        Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

Originally posted by cyberash View Post
                          However, how would that enhance say... teleportation / time travel? how would it enhahce mimicing? how would it enhance flying?
                          As I said, I think that for most of those with abilities... it would be far too overwhelming. Matt looked quite uncomfortable listening to thousands(millions?) of voices at once.

Will it supercharge latent/removed abilities in normals/arthurs victims?

Comment

Originally posted by knowsfords View Post
                            As I said, I think that for most of those with abilities... it would be far too overwhelming. Matt looked quite uncomfortable listening to thousands(millions?) of voices at once.

Will it supercharge latent/removed abilities in normals/arthurs victims?
                            Interesting.

I know peter powers might be enhance to point where he can absorb the powers in a city or far greater distances, but I got the feeling he going to stay with relatively few powers .

By the way is sylar dead, just wondering.

Comment

Originally posted by knowles2 View Post
                              Interesting.

I know peter powers might be enhance to point where he can absorb the powers in a city or far greater distances, but I got the feeling he going to stay with relatively few powers .

By the way is sylar dead, just wondering.
                              On Sylar, wasn't there a spoiler about a road trip?
                              Hope Peter and Sylar have limited number of powers or time limited or something.
                              I don't think Hiro got powers back, but I think he should have time travel for 10 seconds maximum and needs Ando for a boost.
                              Ando could boost flying to pass the speed of sound or speed of light, just like Daphne. He could also boost mimicry by increasing mimic range. Generally do any weird crap the writers can dream up that day.

Comment

Working...
                              X