Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Skimpy Outfits - Did Stargate Atlantis Ever Use Them?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Skimpy Outfits - Did Stargate Atlantis Ever Use Them?

I was reading this thread

http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=62031

and it got me thinking about whether or not Stargate Atlantis ever had characters (wether it be regular or guest) on the show wear skimpy outfits?

So my questions are

1. What do you consider to be the meaning of the phraise "skimpy outfit"?
    2. Did Stargate Atlantis ever have any characters wear Skimpy outfits?
    3. In what situations are skimpy (or sexy) outfits approapriate for SGA and what situations are they not appropriate?

not sure but 1st thing that comes to mind is keller in brain storm, she could have worn something more revealing

it would have to be a scenario where there out of uniform or are in a forest or something uniforms are damaged.

sigpic

Comment

Teyla got skimpy a few times while doing some practice fight scenes in the gym with Sheppard or Ronan.
      if you see a light at the end of the tunnel, it's just a photon torpedo.

Comment

Originally posted by the blackheart View Post
        not sure but 1st thing that comes to mind is keller in brain storm, she could have worn something more revealing
        I for the most part think that what the characters wear on Atlantis is very conservative. Keller was wearing a cocktail dress but it was one of the more conservative cocktail dresses i have seen.

Comment

SGA has shown alot of cleavage but I wouldn't call that skimpy. And I don't think Teyla's outfits have been skimpy a bit revealing at times but not skimpy.

Skimpy to me is where there is little clothing covering the body so alot more skin, including legs, thighs, midriff, cleavage as well as potientally the back and shoulders are most likely showing.

I just check my dictionary and skimpy is define as 'deficiant in supply or execution'.

I think skimpy outfits would work if it fits within the culture of one of the planets that they were visiting, and it would be nice if the skimpy was equal for the men as for the women!
          Last edited by Rosehawk; 14 December 2008, 08:39 AM.
          sigpic

www.facebook.com/pages/DavidNyklFans/402742713123717

Comment

scimpy would be brain storm (KELLER)

sigpic
            Sig made by squirrely1
            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQw4w9WgXcQ
            *PM me if you clicked on that link*

Comment

Skimpy no. Very form fitting. YES! Tayla, Larrin, Chaya Sar (All 3 are HOT HOT HOT).
              Spins and turns, angles and curves, the shape of dreams half remembered. Slip the surly bonds of Earth and touch the face of perfection. A perfect face, a perfect lace, find a perfect world for the end of Kara Thrace.
              End of line.

Comment

Personally, I don't think there has been any skimpy on SGA. Now on SG-1, I think skimpy and I think Anise/Freya from the Tok'ra.

Comment

Originally posted by ykickamoocow View Post
                  1. What do you consider to be the meaning of the phraise "skimpy outfit"?
                  Tight and revealing and have a lot less fabric on them than the male's counterparts.

2. Did Stargate Atlantis ever have any characters wear Skimpy outfits?
                  Yes. Teyla on a regular basis - compare Teyla's outfits to Elizabeth's, for example. Or generally, the way her shirts are cut vs. the male members of the team. Other than that, the vast majority of young female guests.

3. In what situations are skimpy (or sexy) outfits approapriate for SGA and what situations are they not appropriate?
                  They are not appropriate when they're supposed to be a part of the uniform. They're appropriate every once in a while, I guess, in alien cultuers but not nearly as often as they appear - i.e, most women on alien cultures, Teyla included. They are appropriate on Earth based episodes worn by Earth women in the same occasions women wear these outfits here.

Look at it from an SG1 perspective. When Claudia Black played Vala playing Quetesh in The Powers That Be or played Quetesh herself in Continuum, her outfit was just fine - it's been established Goa'uld in female hosts dress that way. Likewise, in the "seducing Daniel" scene in The Ties That Bind it was, once again, fine - yes, this is the way she would dress in a situation like that. It was less okay in Avalon 1 and 2, but rather borderline - it's obvious she was the "sexy alien" in these episodes and dressed ccordingly, but considering Vala's personality.... sort of. I'll let that pass. Her outfit in Ark of Truth, however, was neecdlessly skimpy. In the highly conservative society of Ori followers, where she previously had to trick someone into marrying her so that no one would know she's single and pregnant, to be wearing a dress with such a cleavage is an abuse of the "sexy alien" cliche and rather feels like putting her inside a revealing outfit for the sake of it.
                  Pinky, are you thinking what I'm thinking?
                  Yes, I am!
                  sigpic
                  Improved and unfuzzy banner being the result of more of Caldwell's 2IC sick, yet genuis, mind.
                  Help Pitry win a competition! Listen to Kula Shaker's new single
                  Peter Pan R.I.P

Comment

I think the height of skimpy outfits would be what the Asgard wear.

Comment

Originally posted by Aaronjw View Post
                      I think the height of skimpy outfits would be what the Asgard wear.

quite right.

Teyla was dressed in quite skimpy (revealing) outfits IF compared to the rest of the crew and people's outfits on the planets, not if compared to outfits in our culture. People in Atlantis seem to cover themselves up more than in SG-1, but it doesn't mean some of them don't dress in form-fitting and/or sexy outfits.
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by chocolate_muffin View Post
                        quite right.

Teyla was dressed in quite skimpy (revealing) outfits IF compared to the rest of the crew and people's outfits on the planets, not if compared to outfits in our culture. People in Atlantis seem to cover themselves up more than in SG-1, but it doesn't mean some of them don't dress in form-fitting and/or sexy outfits.
                        Even in our culture though, these outfits are a matter of context. You get quite a number of revealing outfits on 20+ women in clubs. These very same women don't dress the same way to work. Or look at female leaders - they're usually wearing outfits that reveal as little as possible. And in the military? No way. Covered from head to toe.

Teyla doesn't wear her skimpy outfits to a night club, she wears them everywhere. And yes, she's an alien, ethnocentricity etc etc, but I can't help but thinking this isn't a well thought out point by TPTB in order to encourage diversity and make us question are out assumptions, but rather the simple thinking that sexy female + sexy outfits = more viewers.
                        Pinky, are you thinking what I'm thinking?
                        Yes, I am!
                        sigpic
                        Improved and unfuzzy banner being the result of more of Caldwell's 2IC sick, yet genuis, mind.
                        Help Pitry win a competition! Listen to Kula Shaker's new single
                        Peter Pan R.I.P

Comment

Teyla to a degree, besides that not much, although it depends on your definition of skimpy. A lot of kind of tight clothing, but SG-1 had more "skimpy" outfits.
                          "Yo, Adrian!" -Rocky in Rocky
                          "That'll be the Day" -John Wayne in The Searchers

Comment

None at all. good for stargate, no need to objectify women; they stand out on their own.

Comment

Does imaginary Sam in her knickers in the submerged puddle jumper count?
                              Oh crap!

Comment

Working...
                              X