This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Organic ships vs normal ships?

- What do you think is best? Organic or normal building?
    - explain why?
    - what are the advantages?

- How do you think the wraith build their ships?
    - How come they lost their technology to build more ships?

Personaly i always liked the normal building of ships but organic ships have their advantages too.
    If you could add shield onto a wraith hive ship, that sjip would be pritty powerfull.
    Damadged in battle, run and it will repair itself?
    A combination of organic and normal build would be even more powerfull!

well it is sort of explained how the wraith built their ships in "The Seed" and the only explaination I can think of as to why they could'nt build more ships is that they can't meet the power requirements neccessary for them to be grown. They must have used the ancient facilites that got abandoned after the ancients lost a planet to the wraith and put someone infected with the pathogen inside the facility, where it would grow and link into the facility power systems and as it turned into a hive ship, it encorperated the facility into its bodywork. But the only problem with this is that there are only so many powered ancient facilitys and maybe after the ancients found out how wraith hive ships were made, they either removed or destroyed the power sources of the planets they were abandoning so that the wraith could'nt build any more. finally after the ancients abandoned the pegasus glaxy there were no more powered facilities upon which to build hive ships so the wraith were out of luck. end of theory!

overall I prefer man-made ships over organic ones, just because I have this thing against organic technology but I think the hull regeneration thing is very useful considering that if a ship is damaged that is normal i has to really wait till it docks with some station before it can be repaired proporly
    Enjoying Stargate's Technobabble since 1997

If you like the Gateworld podcast be sure to listen the The 5th Race Podcast for a fan's view of the Stargate Franchise! and join the forums while you at it![/CENTER]

Comment

Originally posted by BloodNight View Post
      - explain why?

Personaly i always liked the normal building of ships but organic ships have their advantages too.
      If you could add shield onto a wraith hive ship, that sjip would be pritty powerfull.
      it depands on so much

the wraith Ships are organic but no sheild
      all other races are normal but has sheild

if both of them had no sheild i whould say organic
      but it depans of what meterial the normal ships are

Comment

I personally prefer mechanical ships over organic.

'happiness is a warm gun' sig made by Bandcat
        Draco sig made by Spork67

Comment

If the travelers can get shields why cant the wraith, even if its an organic ship, just slap it on the side and have shields?

Comment

Hive ships are huge, maybe the power requirements would be too big. Their armor works pretty well though.
            Robert Jastrow (self-proclaimed agnostic): "For the scientist who has lived by his faith in the power of reason, the story ends like a bad dream. He has scaled the mountains of ignorance; he is about to conquer the highest peak; as he pulls himself over the final rock, he is greeted by a band of theologians who have been sitting there for centuries."

Comment

I have always wondered about the power source of the wraith, we have been in enough of hives but never bothered to check for power source.

Comment

mechanical ships seem the best,atleast you can just fix it
                sigpicIts Scary To Think Of A Mix Between These To Isnt It

Comment

I think that a normal ships are best. Organic ships seem altogether too fiddly to manage correctly.

As for the lack of more ships, the lack of queens (Todd mentioned it in Be All My Sins Remembered) could mean that they don't have the crews to man new ships and so there wouldn't be any point in making any.

Comment

Originally posted by BloodNight View Post
                    - explain why?

As with most things, it comes down to the logistics involved.

If you're the Wraith, using the ships as living spaces and having little to no planetary presence, the advantages of ships which repair themselves over time (rather than wearing out and needing replacement) become obvious. It means you're not tied to repair/construction facilities, and can operate independently as long as your consumables (food and air, primarily) hold out. Depending on how the ships operate, air and food recycling might not be a problem as long as you have plenty of energy (I assume wraith need to acquire material from somewhere - life force might keep them going, but the laws of conservation of mass and energy still apply). This ship concept would be ideal for the Wraith, the Travelers, or any other group that needs ships with multi-century operating lives and expects little to no losses or upgrade potential.

If, on the other hand, ships are expected to operate over the short term in circumstances which require speedy repair/replacement, you're better off with mechanical ships which can have mass production applied to their components. If you live on planets, being tied to them and their facilities is not as much of a problem as it would be for a truly spaceborn species like the Wraith. It also allows for upgrades and replacement as technology improves (I shudder to think about the kind of bioengineering it would take to alter something like power generators or weapons something better was found, whereas mechanical ships can be built using a "plug and play" mentality). That situation applies to the Tau'ri. If Earth ever got onto a true war footing and was able to produce them openly, they could easily outproduce the Wraith in terms of warships.

To recap: organic ships are optimized for long lifespans and low turnover, while mechanical ships are optimized for short lifespan and high turnover. In a stagnant peacetime, organic would be better. In wartime with quickly advancing tech and techniques, mechanical is best.

Remember: Amateurs study strategy and tactics. Professionals study logistics.

Comment

Organic ships with Asgard or Ori shields would dominate. The ship can heal itself and survive multiple shots after the shields fail, and it will also heal the shield and make it last longer. Organic ships, especially huge ones like Wraith hives, can regenerate damage, unlike normal ships. The only drawback is that they can get sick.

Comment

hmmm what if we had like an overshield like HALO? ahahahahhaha separated power sources and can be activated whenever...or maybe an over-hull like retractable armor plating....XD

Comment

We don't know if Wraith ships can be built with just anything. They may actually need special materials like naquadah or trinium. It's the same thing with their ability to heal. They may be able to heal up to a certain extent but they don't have infinite resources and may need to land to replenish them.

Comment

Well, we were indeed introduced to how Hive ships were made but we didn't see what exactly how much power it takes to produce one. The Wraith almost have to have the capability to produce the energy by themselves without using Ancient outposts. They clearly have enough energy to power their ships once built.

It is interesting that scientists have been researching into building organic homes in the past few years. I would think if power requirements were able to be met then an organic ship would be better, all else equal.

If the franchise goes on long enough I wouldn't be surprised if we found some ancient research or even buildings at an old settlement that incorporate organic technology.

Comment

Originally posted by Rodney dex View Post
                              mechanical ships seem the best, at least you can just fix it
                              You can heal can't you? and you are organic.

I think that organic are better, for various reasons, but the biggest is that with every little problem that happens say staff blast or bullet hole the wall would heal itself. Its self sufficant

Comment

Working...
                              X