Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you think that it is wrong how we treat the Wraith in the series?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do you think that it is wrong how we treat the Wraith in the series?

I'm with Ronon on this one, I see the Wraith as the enemy and we just need to kill them!

In season 1-2 we just killed them!

but in Allies through now... the line is no longer just black and white.

After the retrovirus changed the wraith to human and the Queen fed on a him, it was all different it made them question weather or not we should use the retro virus.

Now, with the gene therapy... yet once again compassion is over running the fact that THEY KILL HUMANS.

I am sitting here listening to my Mom and brother feel sorry for the wraith saying that what we are doing is wrong, to just kill them off.

All I can think is...they ARE WRAITH. They don't care that they kill you or your whole family, they just cull your world, destroy whole civilizations and now we feel sorry for them???
    Why did you do such a thing, you mediocre dunces?

Yes, totally wrong. They are an intelligent species, with untold knowledge and skills. Instead of trying to learn about them - understand them - the Lanteans are always looking for ways to kill them. What makes the Lanteans any different from Wraith? Oh, right...the Wraith kill/killed humans in order to EAT - a necessity - but humans, especially Ronon, kill Wraith out of spite, hatred, anger, and vengeance...in other words, the humans are on the verge of committing genocide, wiping out an entire race/species because they hate them, before they have even come to totally understand them.

And keep in mind, they are always talking about killing Todd, or his alliance, even when he's in the process of TRYING to find an alternative to human feeding. That would be like shooting soldiers dead after they have peacefully surrendered to your army. It's just morally reprehensible.

das
    sigpic

Comment

Full agreement.

Today, we see collaboration with parasites.

I didn't like the fighting with the Wraith in the middle of Season 4, for several reasons. Right afterwards, they should have been destroying every hive in range. Too many times now, because of the Atlanteans, the power balance keeps shifting back to the Wraith. Too many times, they have allowed themselves to be compromised (HELLO MIDWAY!!!).

If there was only one thing that the coalition should have found them guilty of, it was collaboration with the Wraith, not only once, but over and over now. They had a Wraith on their ship like some guest of honor. Instead of eliminating them, they choose to "cure" them and work with them. Pegasus isn't their galaxy to play around with. It's no one's to play around with.

The teams from Earth are effectively emulating the Ancients. If anything, they could end up creating a force that would end in their destruction.

Comment

Originally posted by ussrelativity View Post
        I didn't like the fighting with the Wraith in the middle of Season 4, for several reasons. Right afterwards, they should have been destroying every hive in range. Too many times now, because of the Atlanteans, the power balance keeps shifting back to the Wraith.
        This may come to a surprise for you, but the Wraith can still clobber Atlantis if they knew where they were. Even in the mitigated fast-forward in the Season 4 finale nothing of the Earth superior technology could do anything to stop their enemies.

If there's one thing that Earth should've figured out is that if the super technology of the Ancients wasn't enough to defeat the Wraith outright, using their own superior technology to blow up hives left and right isn't going to do it, either. Remember, even the Daedelus was hard-pressed to fighting Michael's cruiser.
        I will rule the world... and find that truly good cup of coffee.

Comment

HA! If I was Caldwell, I would have blown it away with the first shot. They deliberately were holding themselves back.

Comment

Well, in battle, I'm all for killing those who are trying to kill you. But if they surrender and we still slaughter them, then that makes us look real bad. We are their food source. And yes, kill them before they kill you, unless you can find another way of doing it. But if they aren't out to kill you, then why the needless slaughter? I mean, it's just part of the food chain. Just as we kill and eat for our own survival, they are no different. They wanna survive and live just as we do. And if the animals decided to come and wipe us out for killing them, that's the same thing really. But I just don't think that we should wipe out a race because of that. If there is another way, I'm all for it. I mean, they kill to eat, but we kill them out of hate, anger, and revenge. To be honest, that makes them look better then us in my own opinion. They aren't trying to wipe out humanity as they need us to survive. But we are trying to wipe them out. And their whole search for earth as a rich feeding ground, if we found a place where there were animals we could kill and eat in massive abundance, we would so be there. *nod nod*

This is just my own personal opinion. lol Nothing against anyone else's opinion and to each their own. *nod nod*
            sigpic

Comment

Predator species are always looked @ as bad guys because they have to kill to eat and survive.. yet they exist.. and they feed based on need..

Sharks, tigers, bears all of these animals hunt and feed and most people would say they are afraid of them.. would probably run from them or kill them based on self defense.. does that mean those animals are evil?

Just food for thought.. no pun intended
              sigpic
              I love the big hairy fuzzy men on TV, mmmm
              "I'll Be Your Freyr Elrad, Wait For Me!!!
              Me On YouTube! http://www.youtube.com/airricksreloaded

Comment

Ah, but animals act on instinct, whereas Wraith know exactly what they're doing.

It's necessary for them to kill humans to survive though. If cows or chickens suddenly became self aware and could talk - would we still kill and eat them? If they were the only thing we could eat to live?

There isn't really anything to compare it to in real life. I'm all for 'humanising' the Wraith if it's even possible.
                McKAY: Hey, I can eat frozen dinners without thawing them. (~Trinity)

Comment

Originally posted by x Varda x View Post
                  Ah, but animals act on instinct, whereas Wraith know exactly what they're doing.

It's necessary for them to kill humans to survive though. If cows or chickens suddenly became self aware and could talk - would we still kill and eat them? If they were the only thing we could eat to live?

There isn't really anything to compare it to in real life. I'm all for 'humanising' the Wraith if it's even possible.
                  But its all based on perception.. most Wraith dont consider humans on the same level as them, much as we dont consider animals (for the most part) on the same level as us.

For example we have a very strange bond with cats, dogs, etc.. BUT they are still animals. To the Wraith humans are just that, animals.. they dont care about our civilization or culture.. even if they ARE aware youre right.. they HAVE to feed.

I could only imagine being in their position.. whats the nicest way to say.. "Hey I understand you have a family, but I gotta eat"..

My comparison to animals and humans might not be accurate, but I cant think of a better way to explain it.. and since it is science fiction I dont think there is another way to show the cycle unless we try to put it into perspective..

The Wraith think of us as food even if we are alive with kids, mates and families..

We think of animals as food even if they are alive with offspring, mates and families (whatever kind it may be for them)..
                  sigpic
                  I love the big hairy fuzzy men on TV, mmmm
                  "I'll Be Your Freyr Elrad, Wait For Me!!!
                  Me On YouTube! http://www.youtube.com/airricksreloaded

Comment

Originally posted by dasNdanger View Post
                    Yes, totally wrong. They are an intelligent species, with untold knowledge and skills. Instead of trying to learn about them - understand them - the Lanteans are always looking for ways to kill them. What makes the Lanteans any different from Wraith? Oh, right...the Wraith kill/killed humans in order to EAT - a necessity - but humans, especially Ronon, kill Wraith out of spite, hatred, anger, and vengeance...in other words, the humans are on the verge of committing genocide, wiping out an entire race/species because they hate them, before they have even come to totally understand them.

And keep in mind, they are always talking about killing Todd, or his alliance, even when he's in the process of TRYING to find an alternative to human feeding. That would be like shooting soldiers dead after they have peacefully surrendered to your army. It's just morally reprehensible.

das

the ones that Lorne's and Shep's teams killed were drones. As rodney said, "they are drones, with the powerful control of the wraith just lifted, they're gonna go nuts" (well he said something to that degree). So all they are is mind less, tigers, big green tigers, eating your crew. If tigers were attacking you, would you attack them back. any way you cant understand them. all they have done in their life is listen to orders and feed, they are not intelligent, they are not, understanding. Now the higher wraith are understanding, but otherwise no,

sigpic
                    Sig made by squirrely1
                    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQw4w9WgXcQ
                    *PM me if you clicked on that link*

Comment

Originally posted by Gavatarman View Post
                      the ones that Lorne's and Shep's teams killed were drones. As rodney said, "they are drones, with the powerful control of the wraith just lifted, they're gonna go nuts" (well he said something to that degree). So all they are is mind less, tigers, big green tigers, eating your crew. If tigers were attacking you, would you attack them back. any way you cant understand them. all they have done in their life is listen to orders and feed, they are not intelligent, they are not, understanding. Now the higher wraith are understanding, but otherwise no,
                      I have no problem with those Wraith being killed - it was an act of self-defense. Battle, same thing. But on many occasions, the Lanteans have plotted the destruction of the Wraith, based simply on the species dietary requirements. It is a failure to understand the nature of the Wraith, and is not unlike the narrow-mindedness of those who seek - through genocide - to exterminate an entire race because they view them as a threat. Even the Wraith don't seek to wipe out mankind - in fact, under ideal conditions, they manage their human herds well - protecting them from enemy hives, Replicators, disease, and other life-threatening attacks. The Wraith actually want humans to live, while humans want no such thing for the Wraith.

So, killing Wraith in battle I get, but plotting ways to commit genocide against them - no, I cannot condone that.

das
                      sigpic

Comment

I've been against the way they treated the Wraith since Sheppard stabbed to death the unarmed woman in the second episode when her back was turned. I was willing to let that go until Steve came along though.

"We need to test our completely untested experimental drugs!"

"Durr lets go abduct a sentient being and test them on him!"

"opps he died lol"

Comment

Originally posted by Ouroboros View Post
                          I've been against the way they treated the Wraith since Sheppard stabbed to death the unarmed woman in the second episode when her back was turned. I was willing to let that go until Steve came along though.

"We need to test our completely untested experimental drugs!"

"Durr lets go abduct a sentient being and test them on him!"

"opps he died lol"
                          I love you.

(in a totally non-creepy kinda way)

das
                          sigpic

Comment

Does anyone think that the Wraith might be an allegory for the extremist (emphasis on this word folks, I don't think they are all evil) Muslim world? They are a completely different culture that the good guys alternate between trying to coexist with and trying to destroy. That being said, I have no problems with wiping out the Wraith. Are they any different than bloodthirsty vampires or flesh eating ghouls? Does having advanced technology somehow make them more worthy of survival. It's an us or them situation. A deer can't learn to live with a hungry lion!
                            Oh crap!

Comment

Remember the awesome, totally creepy Wraith chick from the first episode? "All living things must eat."

The Wraith need to kill humans to survive. The fact that some are taking the treatment (Todd's hive) show that at least they are willing to try to live a different way. Throughout the five seasons of the show, we've been shown that the Wraith aren't just an enemy to be shot at; they are an intelligent race with layers to some of their characters. Sometimes we have to kill them in self-defense, if they are trying to kill us specifically, but the whole genocide thing...well, would anyone condone bombing a whole country of people on Earth because we are at war with them? Isn't it more or less the same thing here? Just because they are not of Earth does not mean that they are not living, sentient beings.

Robert: So, do the Wraith feed on fear, or just life in general?
                              Me: Just life in general. But they'd probably prefer that their victims be scared.
                              Robert: So, it's like marinating them, then?

http://raethie.deviantart.com/

Comment

Working...
                              X