• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Requiem (109)

Visit the Episode GuideSANCTUARY SEASON ONE
    REQUIEM
    EPISODE NUMBER - 109

Magnus and Will take a solitary submarine trip to investigate a problem with the Mer-people, only to find them all dead — victims of a parasite that infects Helen's brain and turns her against her friend.

VISIT THE EPISODE GUIDE >
    Last edited by Darren; 20 February 2021, 09:31 PM.

Has anyone else seen this ep yet?
    I just watched it and thought Amanda Tapping and Robin Dunne were phenomenal.

Comment

Yes. This episode was out of the world awesome. Amanda did an amazing job in losing her mind. Some of the looks she gave were just downright creepy, but everything played out real well. I really like episodes like this. Where it's just a character confined to a small space or alone in a big space. There's just so much more you can accomplish character-wise in these types of episodes. I really...really love these episodes. I don't know how much better I can phrase it and Sanctuary had 2 in one season. These are just solely character driven plots. A little peril and a bunch of soul searching, beautiful.

As for the ending. I honestly thought Will tricked Helen. Like, he faked the dials going down and causing a massive placebo effect on Helen's battered and
      pysche. When I realized how wrong I was. I was actually impressed. I don't know if it was meant to be interpreted as such but it threw me fro a loop. If it was meant to seem like that then the twist was pulled off way better than a certain twist of a certain episode of a certain other show on Sci-Fi that airs at 9pm EST.

All that being said, and I loved this episode, it reminded me ALOT of "Legacy" from season 3 of SG-1 right down to when that thing came out of her ear (It looked vaguely like an atrophied symbiote in my opinion). Which is fine because "Legacy" is one of my favorite episodes.

So over all, and over rambling, fantastic episode.
      sigpic

Just repeat to yourself; "It's just a show, I should really just relax."

Comment

Yeah, I agree. At first I thought it was just her mind imagining the dials and stuff, but when she collapsed I figured it was real. I had a suspicion that he was doing it to subdue her, but I didn't figure that the parasite would leave... I thought that was well done. What happens when it thaws out though?
        Just a question: when Magnus had Will tied to the chair, did her accent change? I think it did, and I figure it was intentional; or am I just imagining things?

I too love the character development in this one. I love the Helen/Will dynamic, and I thought that scene at the end where he's trying to resuscitate her was just perfect and extremely, extremely well done.

Something I'm constantly surprised about is how I don't see Sam at all when I'm watching Sanctuary. I kind of expected to a bit initially 'cause I've watched so much SG1. But even when Magnus is doing mechanical stuff like Carter sometimes did, I still don't see any of Carter and it just makes me think they're doing such a good job with Magnus....

Can't wait until the next one...

Comment

Originally posted by Naddy View Post
          Has anyone else seen this ep yet?
          I just watched it and thought Amanda Tapping and Robin Dunne were phenomenal.
          I agree, both of them were just fantastic, I can see why AT feels this was her bravest work and how she trusted RD and MW to do those scenes.

Even though I spoiled myself silly with this episode, I never expected that opening teaser. It reminded me of a few BSG episodes were they started in media res like that, but I liked it better here since they didn't keeping jumping around in the timeline.

Absolutely loved the opening conversation with Will pumping Helen for information, Harding as an abnormal, Eisenhower needing Helen there to handle to Nazis, Pasteur as a god-father. Great references.

I also really liked Will and Helen discussing how hard it is for her to relate to people, even Ashley, and Will's role and future at the Sanctuary, both before and while Helen was going crazy. And Helen talking about the curse of her long life, that no one is meant to live forever and the pain's she gone through because of it. It was great to see that dark undercurrent to Helen, which she can probably usually suppress with her work and with her interactions Ashley, Will, and the others.

AT did an amazing job showing Helen being taken over by that parasite, going 'crazy' but still able to act methodically and rationally as fitting with Helen's personality. Loved the scene when she tries to goad Will into shooting her and then turns the gun on him. And when the sub was flooding and sinking and Helen's grinning while trying to 'fix' it. And when Will is tied up and Helen's going on about 'seeing the sunshine'. And pretty much every scene.

And what a rollercoaster for the Will and Helen dynamic, co-workers, mentor/protege, family, enemies, and then implicitly trusting and understanding each other at the end. Great stuff.

And yay I get to see it again in 15 minutes.

sigpic

Comment

OK. I pretty much agree with everything you said there.. well put. I too loved the references to all the people whom Helen has known. Liked the line about not all the Nazis breathing air.
            I loved seeing the degeneration throughout the ep and I thought the acting was very very well done. Love the developing relationship between Magnus and Will, particularly that scene at the end with "today is not that day" and the part where he's trying to bring her back. and then when she grabs his wrist when he's about to stab her with the Epi; I loved the timing on that and I was totally not expecting that.

Comment

OK. I pretty much agree with everything you said there.. well put. I too loved the references to all the people whom Helen has known. Liked the line about not all the Nazis breathing air.
              I loved seeing the degeneration throughout the ep and I thought the acting was very very well done. Love the developing relationship between Magnus and Will, particularly that scene at the end with "today is not that day" and the part where he's trying to bring her back. and then when she grabs his wrist when he's about to stab her with the Epi; I loved the timing on that and I was totally not expecting that.
              Yeah, that was a great scene, and good directing work by MW. I think he did a great job considering the limitations of filming on such a small set. Subtle stuff like the rack to focus from Helen to the dripping water, which I think gives her the idea to flood the ballasts in order to go deeper.

I loved the line about not all Nazis breathing air too, as well as Will's reaction to it. And the references! Teddy being more fun than Frank. Harding being kinda crazy for wanting the job of President after WWI.

Oh man, such good dialog in the scenes after Helen knocks Will out. 'Young William', the sunshine stuff, 'the water's lovely', Will telling Helen to fight it. And then the music during when Helen 'dies' and then when Will resuscitates her. And AT doing proper agonal breaths as Helen suffocated, and I really should stop before I get carried away.

Sanctuary rocks!

sigpic

Comment

Yep, Sanctuary rocks, I'll give you that! We were watching it again and one thing i noticed: at that bit right before she grabs his wrist, in the shot that you see Magnus as Will is going for the epi, she blinks, just once. I think that's when she comes out of it and why she is then able to grab his wrist.. just a thought.
                just a question: what dyu mean by "proper agonal breaths"?

Comment

Yep, Sanctuary rocks, I'll give you that! We were watching it again and one thing i noticed: at that bit right before she grabs his wrist, in the shot that you see Magnus as Will is going for the epi, she blinks, just once. I think that's when she comes out of it and why she is then able to grab his wrist.. just a thought.
                  just a question: what dyu mean by "proper agonal breaths"?
                  Ah, agonal respirations are deep, gasping breaths a person makes just before they go into cardiac arrest. I don't often see actors do that just before they 'die' (they usually act like they're choking on something) so I was impressed to see AT doing them.

I couldn't see what med Will was going for, but I doubt it was an epipen, since that doesn't do much good for a person in cardiac arrest.

Oh, I must have missed Helen blinking, thank goodness I've got the ep recorded. Hmmm, is watching it three times in one night too much?

sigpic

Comment

BRAVO AMANDA!!!
                    BRAVO AMANDA!!!
                    BRAVO AMANDA!!!
                    BRAVO AMANDA!!!
                    BRAVO AMANDA!!!
                    BRAVO AMANDA!!!
                    BRAVO AMANDA!!!

WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOA! I saw Requiem on my TMN, and all I can is: W-O-W-- WOW! I've never, seen anything like it, Requiem was Sanctuary's "Line in the Sand", but WAY better. This was hands down, without question, without a doubt, THE best episode this season. I've never seen her act like that, Amanda did a spectacular job showing off Helen's dark and crazy side, she gave so many looks that were just dark, creepy, crazy, devious and totally evil. Amanda was nothing short of phenomenal in this episode, I can see why she thought this was the bravest and toughest she's ever done, Amanda truly gave the performance of her life.

Before I start I just wanna say sorry if I talk about some of the events or facts in the wrong order . It starts with me at the edge of my seat, and with a wet Helen *WOO HOO*, doing something to a few controls inside the sub, as she's doing it, she has that crazy/devious/hot look in her face, then something goes wrong with the oxygen in the room, and she looks at the screen, and she's see that the oxygen levels are dropping fast, and so were a few other things. She tries to open the door, but it's locked, Will was on the other side keeping it locked, she looks at him through the window in the door, and she begs him to open the door, but he doesn't, then she starts to suffocate, and she goes back to the controls to fix the problem but the controls were locked out. She goes back to the window and she begs him again, but he keeps it locked, she suffocates even more and eventually falls to the ground . We get a close-up of her face and she starts taking shorter breathes, THEN we get a close-up of her mouth-- she has nice lips btw , and she takes one final breath, and then we get another close-up of her eyes, and he pupils dilate/get larger-- and she dies , as Will watches . And this is just the beginning .

After the opening credits, we get a shot of the sub, and captions across the screen saying were they are, and that it's 6 hours earlier, in the sub we see that big bolded title "Requiem", as well as Will talking to Helen about all the historical figures she knew, and how she's related to them, she also talks about how hard it was sometimes knowing them and living in the war. They talk about a bit more, and then they got a transmission from Henry, they talk about the mission, and Will talks about how strange it feels being in the Bermuda Triangle, and how it's one of the most mysterious places in the world. Oh Sally, this one's for you , Helen talks about going to see the "Mer folk" and that the Mermaid they have at the Sanctuary told them somethings wrong, and Henry tells them how they named the Mermaid-- you ready for this-- Sally . Contrats hon, you have a Mermaid named after you .

The cut transmission, and Helen and Will go back to talking, this time about the Bermuda Triangle, but Helen tells him it's just ocean. They talk about bit more about each other now, and how they feel about their lives and how Helen can't relate to anyone because she's lived so long and has lost many people she cared about. They arrive at the destination, Will asks Helen in her accent about the "Mer folk" , and something seems wrong, Will looks at a view screen, and he see's something odd, he asks Helen if their at war or something, she says no, and they look through it again and they see a dead Mermaid who's been torn apart just flooding there in the water. Helen who's shocked and what's answers, uses a grappling hook to get the Mermaid inside the sub, on board her and Will do an autopsy, and they come up with a few theories, but Helen finds a strange thick clear liquid but she doesn't know what it is.

Afterwards, Will tells Helen he's going to get some rest, Helen says bye, but when he leaves, she starts getting a headache, and we get a close-up of her hands shaking. A little later after a few little things, Helen's alone in her room, and her nose starts bleeding and then she gets scared, and a little confused, she runs off and goes past Will and he she's her bleeding, and right away she somehow realizes that by ascending, it's causing her pain, tries to take the sub even deeper, as she does, she gets mad at Will and starts getting a little rude . They realize somethings wrong with her, and they start doing some tests, and as they do Helen and Will start talking about how Ashley feels knowing that John is her father, Helen says she's fine, but Will has his doubts, they talk a bit more but Helen gets up and walks away, Will stops her and they argue a bit, but they sort it out and Will gets an idea about what's effecting Helen, they do another test and they find a parasite in her brain They do another autopsy on the Mermaid, and they find that her brain has been destroyed by the parasite, Helen also finds out the reason she has it and not Will is because of that thick clear liquid, Will asks how much more they can deep taking the ship down and Helen said about 2400 something feet, she also told him that as long as they don't share bodily fluids they'll be fine .

In Helen's office, they talk about how sad Helen's been over the years, after losing friends, lovers, etc, and she tells Will she's proud of him and that he's her first real protégé she's had in decades, but then she starts bleeding again, they go back to the control room, and Helen demands they go deeper, but Will says it's too dangerous to take the sub deeper, but she doesn't care, he tries to stop him, but she slams him against a wall, and threatens him, she even takes some of her blood from her nose and tries to put it on him, and as she does, she has a really serious and dangerous look on her face . He agrees to take the sub down, and as he does she feels at ease. Afterwards, when things calm down, Will finds her taking injections to try and stop the parasite, then they talk about what Helen did and she tells him she's scared of what's to happen to her, and she comes clean with him. She tells him that she's lived for a long time, and that if she is going to die, she wants it to be her way, and that she wants Will to do it.

Later when Helen's alone in her room, she see's water leaking from the wall, and she gets this devious look on her face, we then find Will walking around when the sub starts shaking and sparks start flying. Will finds her and they run off to try and fix the problem, in the meantime, the sub keeps sinking, on their way to find the problem, a pipe breaks and they get all wet, they fix that, and make it to the room with the problem, Helen says they need tools, Will goes to find them, but Helen pushes him out of the way, and gets them herself, as she goes toward the problem Will looks around, then BOOM time slows down, and we see Helen with this evil/crazy/devious/insane look on her face like she loves what's happening, but the, as the subs sinking, it stops, Helen looks disappointed, she goes to look outside, and we see the sub lying on a huge rock, keeping it from falling. Will starts talking about what they have and don't have left, then bang, Helen knocks him out with a wrench.

This next scene I thought was amazing- We then find Will tied up to a chair, with Helen doing something near him, and the whole time Helen looks completely unstable, and she asks Will if he can hear what she hears, he says no, and she shouts "Liar, you bloody liar!" Will tries to talk her down, but she's too unstable, she looks at him with an evil look, and mocks Will by making an impression of him by saying "You're just confused, Helen, you're not in your right mind, I can help you, Helen." That was a wicked moment . She asks him if he's trying to probe her, and then she whispers in his ear "I'm not your common criminal", he looks at her scared, and then gets out her gun, and she says, "Maybe I should kill you", but Will's able to talk her down, and then she goes off to a hatch that leads into a room filled with water, she dives in and starts looking for something, as she does that Will's able to get a tool and free himself, he runs over to the hatch, and before he can close it, she pops up and stops him, then she makes him go down under with her. They're able to do what Helen wanted to do, but before they make it back up, Helen pulls off Will's mask, he makes it too the top, and he gets Helen's gun and points it at her. He yells "Fight it Helen, fight it", but she tells him to shoot over and over, he doesn't then she gets the gun, she pulls the trigger, but the bullet case is gone, Helen goes back to the control room, and now we're back to where, when and how the show started, only this time we see what Will's doing outside. After Helen falls to the floor and dies , Will goes in there and tries to revive, but the parasite escapes out of Helen's ear, but Will quickly kills it with nitrogen oxide, he goes back to try and save Helen, but she doesn't respond right away, he keeps begging her not die and not to give up, then he gives her an injection into her heart, that doesn't work, so he goes after another, but before he can inject her, she grab his arm she she thanks him, and they both lie there tired.

In the final scene, we find them together talking about everything that happened, and how they both knew the parasite would leave her body if she was dead, and Will gave her hope by telling her maybe the reason she's been alive for so long is because her work isn't done, and she told him it'll never been done, and that she'll want him to replace her one day, but told her "Today's not that day".

The End.
                    Last edited by Rocky89; 06 December 2008, 02:35 PM.

Comment

Holy cow.

Fantastic episode.

Acting, directing, vis effects, writing, everything. I loved every real and virtual shot of the sub, the sub sounds, the claustophobic feel of it all.

The dialogue was great, the story kept me on the edge of my seat, and the historical quips were funny.

Totally intense, creepily real death/ resuscitation scenes. Wow. AT is always suberb. Dunne was perfectly frantic, his panic so palpable I started to feel panicky.

Brilliant acting all the way through, absolutely stunning.

I loved all the little character clues we got, too. The insights into how each of them clicks.

Great job!!! Thanks to all involved!!

WOOHOO!!

A massive standing ovation!

Words have tremendous power. The right words spoken by the right people at the right times can lift up communities, transform lives, mend relationships, break hearts—even topple empires.
                      Quint Studer

Comment

amanda was amazing!!!

(((amanda)))

you're a fantastic actress!!

and no dastardly deeds prevented me from recording this episode (you know, cable goes out, the vcr breaks down, a crazed possum goes on the rampage and eats the trees across the street that causes them to fall over and crush the house, etc)

this is now my number ONE fave ep, with 'the five' and 'kush' coming in no's 2 and 3.

i don't even know where to begin... okay, i have one complaint... i didn't want it to end!!

i think i'll go and read others reviews and reply. my brain's racing too much.
                        sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by EvenstarSRV View Post
                          I also really liked Will and Helen discussing how hard it is for her to relate to people, even Ashley, and Will's role and future at the Sanctuary, both before and while Helen was going crazy. And Helen talking about the curse of her long life, that no one is meant to live forever and the pain's she gone through because of it. It was great to see that dark undercurrent to Helen, which she can probably usually suppress with her work and with her interactions Ashley, Will, and the others.
                          i don't think i'll ever get past the fear that helen's own personal sanctuary is her death. after seeing 'xena's' last ep... so helen saying to will about her passing it on to him when she's not around anymore...

BUT, i'll try to let that go for the moment and say that i enjoyed the bonding of helen and will. and i really enjoying will in this ep more than i ever have.

AT did an amazing job showing Helen being taken over by that parasite, going 'crazy' but still able to act methodically and rationally as fitting with Helen's personality. Loved the scene when she tries to goad Will into shooting her and then turns the gun on him. And when the sub was flooding and sinking and Helen's grinning while trying to 'fix' it. And when Will is tied up and Helen's going on about 'seeing the sunshine'. And pretty much every scene.

And what a rollercoaster for the Will and Helen dynamic, co-workers, mentor/protege, family, enemies, and then implicitly trusting and understanding each other at the end. Great stuff.
                          yes on everything! i think my brain's a bit fried.
                          sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by EvenstarSRV View Post
                            And when the sub was flooding and sinking and Helen's grinning while trying to 'fix' it.
                            a quick question on that scene. the first time we saw helen grinning (just after will ran into another room); did the camera kind of go slow-mo on her face while she was doing it?

there's just soooooooo much for me to talk about, my brain's all over the place in trying to put it into words and phrases.
                            sally

sigpic

Comment

Love the developing relationship between Magnus and Will, particularly that scene at the end with "today is not that day" and the part where he's trying to bring her back. and then when she grabs his wrist when he's about to stab her with the Epi; I loved the timing on that and I was totally not expecting that.
                              that scene, like *so* many others, was fabulous! it reminded me of a scene from the movie 'abyss', which happened to be my favorite scene. (i only wish helen's eyes wouldn't have still been open when she you-know-whated. )

i'm just totally fangirling amanda right now. bravo, woman, totally bravo.
                              sally

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X