CAPRICA News, Articles, Reviews Misc. tidbits

excerpt:

http://www.variety.com/article/VR111...goryid=14&cs=1

Dec 1 2008

Sci Fi greenlights 'Battlestar' prequel
    'Caprica' to star Eric Stoltz, Esai Morales
    By DANIEL FRANKEL
    'Caprica' is set 50 years prior to 'Battlestar Galactica.'

Sci Fi Channel has greenlit "Caprica," the much-anticipated prequel to hit series "Battlestar Galactica."

"Caprica" will star Eric Stoltz, Esai Morales, Paula Malcomson and Polly Walker, and will be set 50 years prior to "Galactica's" seminal attack on human civilization by those dreaded 'droids the Cylons. Family-drama-themed series will focus on the Earthlike planet of Caprica as two rival families deal with, among other topical issues, the broader implications of their society's emerging artificial intelligence technology sector.

REST AT LINK ABOVE

2010? I'll forget about it by then!

Comment

yippee
      https://twitter.com/#!/Solar_wind84

Comment

great news!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
        Stolen Kosovo
        sigpic

Comment

Surely this means we'll get to see a Baby Bill?
          Mongoletsi is bigger than hip...hop...

Comment

Good to hear.

Comment

This show looks very uninteresting, worse than SGU, imo. They should just continue with BSG and SGA, instead of making new shows.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Briangate78 View Post
                This show looks very uninteresting, worse than SGU, imo. They should just continue with BSG and SGA, instead of making new shows.
                I'm actually glad BSG will end. All good things must come to an end.It's much better to end it now than making more and more seasons like Stargate. And as for SGA, for me this show is agonizing to watch.And after some news I don't care about SGU either. For me, the whole Stargate franchise is dead.

I'm very happy that Scifi will continue to air very different scifi show as they've been airing BSG which is not a typical scifi show like ST or SG.
                Stolen Kosovo
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by prion View Post
                  excerpt:

http://www.variety.com/article/VR111...goryid=14&cs=1

Dec 1 2008

Sci Fi greenlights 'Battlestar' prequel
                  'Caprica' to star Eric Stoltz, Esai Morales
                  By DANIEL FRANKEL
                  'Caprica' is set 50 years prior to 'Battlestar Galactica.'

Sci Fi Channel has greenlit "Caprica," the much-anticipated prequel to hit series "Battlestar Galactica."

"Caprica" will star Eric Stoltz, Esai Morales, Paula Malcomson and Polly Walker, and will be set 50 years prior to "Galactica's" seminal attack on human civilization by those dreaded 'droids the Cylons. Family-drama-themed series will focus on the Earthlike planet of Caprica as two rival families deal with, among other topical issues, the broader implications of their society's emerging artificial intelligence technology sector.

REST AT LINK ABOVE
                  Good cast. Interestingly, they're all over or pushing 40. Not a youngster amongst them...

Eric Stoltz - 47
                  Esai Morales - 46
                  Polly Walker - 42
                  Paula Malcomson - 38

What is Sci-fi thinking!!!!!!!!! Where will they ever find the demographic to watch these geezers!

*tongue in cheek*

Comment

lol its airing early 2009 on sky1. so most ppl will have seen it by the time scifi gets their game together, and that will mean not as good ratings

Comment

YAYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!! I've liked the concept behind this show since we first heard of it.

Originally posted by g.o.d View Post
                      I'm actually glad BSG will end. All good things must come to an end.It's much better to end it now than making more and more seasons like Stargate. And as for SGA, for me this show is agonizing to watch.And after some news I don't care about SGU either. For me, the whole Stargate franchise is dead.

I'm very happy that Scifi will continue to air very different scifi show as they've been airing BSG which is not a typical scifi show like ST or SG.
                      I agree- I fail to grasp this "more more more" mentality people seem to have with shows. More shows could do with taking a lead from BSG. BSG is the best show I've ever seen, it's likly to remain my favourite, I'm sad that that it's ending, but ultimately I am glad because I think they're doing it the right way.

And SGA this season ugh....."agonizing" is a good word. I agree that the Stargate franchise is pretty much dead- I never want to see the same thing happen with BSG.

The fact that Caprica is a very different kind of sci-fi show makes me happy- this may not have big space battles and whatnot, but I think Caprica sounds like it will cover the themes at the heart of science fiction. When it comes to television we sometimes forgot that the heart of science fiction is more about the questions of technology, etc, and how it relates to us as human beings, rather than explosions and battles.

Originally posted by Showfan View Post
                      Good cast. Interestingly, they're all over or pushing 40. Not a youngster amongst them...

Eric Stoltz - 47
                      Esai Morales - 46
                      Polly Walker - 42
                      Paula Malcomson - 38

What is Sci-fi thinking!!!!!!!!! Where will they ever find the demographic to watch these geezers!

*tongue in cheek*
                      Wow, that's pretty surprising. But it sounds like they've got some pretty good actors there- Eric Stoltz is always good.

Originally posted by daniel9 View Post
                      lol its airing early 2009 on sky1. so most ppl will have seen it by the time scifi gets their game together, and that will mean not as good ratings
                      But that's only the pilot. The actual series hasn't been made yet.....remember what happened when the BSG mini aired on Sky One first?

Comment

What G.O.D and TrekGirl said.

"Agonizing" sums SGA up. S5 is just a load of unrelated fillers, bound by occaisional Michael references.

I'm gutted BSG is going; especially since S4 has built up to sheer brilliance. I was worried after S3, but now it's back on form and going to go out on a massive high.

It's a shame BSG didn't get more mainstream success. Sci-fi-avoiding mates would just mock when I suggested they try it. The stigma of the original cheese I guess... and the fact (despite spending $$$ on it), NBC left it on SciFi instead of taking a risk and showing it on NBC itself.

Caprica... again, why's it on SciFi? If it's determined to be "more of a family drama than a SciFi", then surely SciFi is the wrong home for it? Stick it on the mainstream, show some balls. If it's good, it'll succeed, and probably get non-Frakers into BSG... DVD sales innit.

I'm massively excited about Caprica, on the basis that there's something BSG-related at least to comfort us when it's gone.
                        Mongoletsi is bigger than hip...hop...

Comment

Originally posted by Trek_Girl42 View Post
                          YAYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!! I've liked the concept behind this show since we first heard of it.

I agree- I fail to grasp this "more more more" mentality people seem to have with shows. More shows could do with taking a lead from BSG. BSG is the best show I've ever seen, it's likly to remain my favourite, I'm sad that that it's ending, but ultimately I am glad because I think they're doing it the right way.

And SGA this season ugh....."agonizing" is a good word. I agree that the Stargate franchise is pretty much dead- I never want to see the same thing happen with BSG.

The fact that Caprica is a very different kind of sci-fi show makes me happy- this may not have big space battles and whatnot, but I think Caprica sounds like it will cover the themes at the heart of science fiction. When it comes to television we sometimes forgot that the heart of science fiction is more about the questions of technology, etc, and how it relates to us as human beings, rather than explosions and battles.

Wow, that's pretty surprising. But it sounds like they've got some pretty good actors there- Eric Stoltz is always good.

But that's only the pilot. The actual series hasn't been made yet.....remember what happened when the BSG mini aired on Sky One first?
                          I really agree with what you are saying. BSG, IMO is a brilliant example to SciFi. For one thing, the writing was good - I can hardly remember any empty irrelevant episodes, which became ubiquitous in SGA circa Season 4 and the latter part for Stargate SG-1 ( e.g Quarantine - a whole ep just about a city locking up). The really good episodes of Stargate IMO were the early ones (maybe exclude Emancipation...). They were well- written, and non-plot episodes actually contributed in some form even if it was just a random ep (e.g Tin Man). BSG is good, and thats why it will end with a bang. I would rather that than having lengthly unclear episodes with only about 5 OK episodes and the rest were crap (SGA S5, SG-1 S10.5).

BSG did brilliantly, now time for Caprica, which I think will be really interesting. For starters, we'll get to know a bit more about the Colonies' society, infrastructure (by that we mean the set for the Tollan new homeworld and Ba'al's time machine!). We'll also follow the Adama family, and if the series is in that timeframe, run into how Tigh ended up in the chain.

Comment

I´m glad SCIFICHANNEL at last made the good decision! I was getting worried. Still, I´d love to see the Pilot before 2010. This BSG hiatus is endless.

Great news!

Comment

http://nbcumv.com/scifi/release_deta...eenlights.html

'Battlestar Galactica' Prequel Gets 20 Episode Order

Series Slated for 2010 Premiere

Stars Eric Stoltz, Esai Morales, Paula Malcomson and Polly Walker

NEW YORK – December 2, 2008 - SCI FI Channel has greenlit production on the new original series Caprica, ordering 20 hours of the drama including the two-hour pilot, it was announced today by Dave Howe, President, SCI FI. Caprica is the prequel to SCI FI's hit original series Battlestar Galactica and stars Eric Stoltz (Milk, Chicago Hope), Esai Morales (Jericho, NYPD Blue), Paula Malcomson (Deadwood, ER) and Golden Globe nominee Polly Walker (Cane, Rome).

Set 50 years before Battlestar Galactica, Caprica follows two rival families – the Graystones and the Adamas – as they grow, compete, and thrive in the vibrant world of the 12 Colonies, a society recognizably close to our own. Enmeshed in the burgeoning technology of artificial intelligence and robotics that will eventually lead to the creation of the Cylons, the two houses go toe-to-toe blending action with corporate conspiracy and sexual politics. Caprica will deliver all of the passion, intrigue, political backbiting and family conflict in television's first science fiction family saga. Production on the series is slated to begin summer '09 in Vancouver for a 2010 premiere. Jeffrey Reiner (Friday Night Lights) directed the pilot.

"Caprica will build on Battlestar Galactica's acclaimed legacy of gripping drama and extraordinary characters," says Dave Howe in making the announcement. "It's the beginning of a brand new epic saga that will appeal to both new viewers, totally unfamiliar with the Battlestar franchise, as well as existing loyal and passionate Battlestar fans."

"Ron, David and Remi have created an amazing series with thought-provoking storytelling that deals with a world very similar to our own. It's definitely not as dark as Battlestar, but like that show, this series has smart, dimensional characters who grapple with issues of love, sex and politics from a world in transition," says Mark Stern, Executive Vice President, Original Programming for SCI FI & Co-Head Original Content, Universal Cable Productions.

As the series begins, a startling development is about to occur - the creation of the first cybernetic life-form node or "Cylon" – the ability to marry artificial intelligence with mechanical bodies. Joseph Adama (Esai Morales) – father of future Battlestar commander William Adama (Sina Najafi) – a renowned civil liberties lawyer, becomes an opponent of the experiments undertaken by the Graystones (Eric Stoltz), owners of a large computer corporation that is spearheading the development of these living robots: the Cylons.

Caprica is produced by Universal Cable Productions and executive produced by Ronald D. Moore and David Eick (Battlestar Galactica) and Remi Aubuchon (24). It is co-written by Aubuchon and Moore and directed by Jeffrey Reiner (Friday Night Lights).

Images are available at http://nbcumv.com/scifi.

SCI FI Channel is a television network where "what if" is what's on. SCI FI fuels the imagination of viewers with original series and events, blockbuster movies and classic science fiction and fantasy programming, as well as a dynamic Web site (www.scifi.com ) and magazine. Launched in 1992, and currently in 93 million homes, SCI FI Channel is a network of NBC Universal, one of the world's leading media and entertainment companies.

# # #

Michelle Rosenblatt 212.664.4759 [email protected]

Comment

Working...
                              X