This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GateWorld In 2009 - VOICE YOUR IDEAS!

We're rethinking GateWorld for 2009, and we want your ideas!

Please post between now and January 1, 2009!

Don't worry -- we're not talking about a massive overhaul of anything. But as we head into the home stretch of 2008, the closing of the Atlantis chapter and the beginning of a new one, and now in our tenth year on the Internet, we are taking stock of what GateWorld does (and what it doesn't do), and how we can do it better. Think of it as a creative "audit."

David and I have always been committed to the proposition that this is your site. It's by fans for fans, and your visiting, participating, and contributing is what has made it what it is.

Please post your ideas and opinions on the various elements of GateWorld below, or e-mail webmaster -at- gateworld.net if you would rather respond privately. Two caveats:

(1) This is not a debate or discussion thread. We're not looking for you to respond to what someone else has posted unless it's to piggyback and add a related suggestion or idea. If you don't care for an idea, just move on and suggest an alternative.

Likewise, this isn't the place to debate about Atlantis, Universe, etc. There are lots of places on the forum for those conversations, and it should go without saying that as a site dedicated long-term to the entire Stargate franchise, we'll be very heavily featuring the new show come next summer.

(2) Negative critiques of the way things are currently done are fine, if they are paired with a constructive suggestion. We're more interested in finding some new ideas than just hearing about what bugs you.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please answer as many or as few as you want! (Don't feel like you have to respond under each one, if you don't have something to say.) Here's what we want to hear your thoughts and ideas about:

SITE LOOK & FEEL
    Are there elements of the site's design you feel could use a new look? Think about things like color choices, backgrounds, fonts, feature headers, the main navigation menu, etc.

THE HOME PAGE
    We've crammed a lot of different kinds of things on the home page, from the latest news and features to the video player, TV schedule, poll box, etc. Is there something missing? Or is there too much, and you would rather see a more simplified entry portal?

THE EPISODE GUIDES
    Other than the fact that I just don't have time to keep up on all the episode analysis week-to-week, what do you like or dislike about the SG-1, Atlantis, Universe, Movies, and Infinity sections? We've recently done some remodeling here to give each show the sense of having an almost stand-alone site (a la StarTrek.com). What would you like to see added, moved, redesigned, or done differently?

NEWS COVERAGE
    The daily Stargate news coverage is the lifeblood of GateWorld, and these headlines keep the more casual readers of the site coming back more than anything else we do. The more frequently we publish in the news section, the better our traffic is. This is a key area for making some changes in 2009, and we would like to start publishing more and different kinds of things here (editorials? episode previews?), and make use of the many volunteer writers who want to write for the site but don't necessarily know what to do.

I'm also interested to hear if you like the new comment threads on news stories, or if you think they have become more trouble than they are worth.

INTERVIEWS & SPECIAL FEATURES
    We've proudly brought you interviews with everyone from main cast members and producers to guest stars and production personnel, and we plan to continue to do so. We're also proud that unlike most sites, we publish audio/video as much as humanly possible and we publish transcripts in their entirety -- so you get the whole conversation, not just a write-up of it. But are there new ideas for how we can approach them? We're aware that we've now interviewed the same people enough times that interviews often start to sound the same.

You might have some ideas on how we approach the interview itself (the sorts of questions we ask), or how it is presented on the site, or who we are talking to, or new ways you can interact with that material.

THE STARGATE OMNIPEDIA
    We're obviously planning to update the Omnipedia through Season Five of Atlantis, The Ark of Truth, and Continuum -- hopefully before Universe premieres next summer. Should there be new sections or appendices? New kinds of info you can find on each entry page? A new way to navigate? Different ways of cross-linking to this material throughout the Web site?

GATEWORLD FORUM
    You're here right now! While we are limited to what the vBulletin software can do, we're always taking suggestions -- organization and folders, rules and policies, etc. As much as 90 percent or more of people who visit GateWorld never step foot in our forum, so the best ideas will include clever ways to integrate the forum with the main site.

THE GATEWORLD PODCAST
    If you listen, why do you listen? If you don't listen, why not? Now that we have 20+ episodes under our belts, we are thinking about just what the podcast ought to be and how we might retool the format. (Regular podcast listeners, watch for a full listener survey coming in the next few weeks.)

GATEWORLD PLAY
    David has been chugging along creating daily content in seven categories for our streaming video channel. Any ideas for a new category of videos? Are there some that you especially watch for, or others that you find yourself always skipping? Is daily too much?

THE STARGATE IMAGE GALLERY
    We've just recently launched a massive Coppermine gallery with episodic photography and hundreds of DVD screen grabs for every single episode. We've also started to use the gallery for conventions. How else could we use it?

THE STORE
    The site does need to make money in order to stay afloat, and you guys have been terrific about making Amazon purchases through GateWorld, clicking ads that interest you, etc. The Store page and product integration throughout the site has always been a bit of a challenge, and we could certainly use a brilliant idea or two.

ANYTHING ELSE?
    We don't want to limit your creative thinking by only asking you about existing sections. Is there something totally outside of the box, something we've just never done at all, that you would like to see? New sections? RSS feeds? A mobile GateWorld? Free coloring books with every purchase?!?

Here is is helpful to think about other sites that you visit on a regular basis -- what they look like, and how they present you with what you are looking for. Feel free to post a link and say, "I like how they do this or that."

To reply, just hit the "Quote" button and delete everything except the bold section headers.

Thanks in advance for your ideas! We're excited about 2009 and the changes, big or small, we decide to implement. Remember, it's "YOUR complete guide to Stargate!"
    Last edited by Darren; 27 November 2008, 01:28 PM.
    GateWorld Podcast - Info - iTunes - Google
    The Stargate Omnipedia - www.StargateOmnipedia.com
    Stargate Image Gallery - www.StargateGallery.com

GATEWORLD FORUM

i would like the new system for sg eps (the entire season ep discussion getting it's own area but i feel it invoves to many clicks over time

so i think after a season finishes Syndication the epsoside folders should be reverted to the old style and all the threads brought into the bottom general discssion area

i hope this makes sense

also can we try 80X80 avatars

example of size http://www.thescifiworld.net/avatars...e_80x80_01.htm
    Last edited by Pharaoh Atem; 27 November 2008, 02:00 PM.
    https://twitter.com/#!/Solar_wind84

Comment

maybe u should check out TrekCore for some ideas... it work very well for trekkers... it could work for gaters.

Comment

It would be nice to have the fanfic back up.

Comment

THE HOME PAGE
          I thin the homepage is a bit crowded to the new visitor, How about something like the Stargate Worlds site (the gate which links to different areas of the site) then you could have most breaking news in the event horizon?

THE EPISODE GUIDES
          Short video clips to go with each episode? or the teaser bit before the credits, to give you the feel of what the episode is like?

THE STARGATE IMAGE GALLERY
          Wallpaper sized images, both official and fan-made? This is one (AND ONLY) area I would say Gateworld is weaker than other stargate sites out there.

Everything else is brilliant
          sigpic
          Thanks to Amaunet for the sig!!!
          My First Gateworld News Item!

Comment

The Episode Guide it would be good if there were a trailer or something to go along with each episode

Comment

THE STARGATE OMNIPEDIA
              I think the Omnipedia should be like a Wiki, that is able to be edited by anyone (or members of GateWorld). The Omnipedia is so much more limited in information and content than a Stargate Wiki, such as http://stargate.wikia.com/wiki/Stargate_Wiki because only one person edits it instead of many. That is, in my opinion GateWorld's weakest part (not to bash David or anything) because only one man wouldn't have time to do it justice.

Oh, by the way everyone who lives in the United States, HAPPY THANKSGIVING!!!
              Last edited by xenomorph1211; 27 November 2008, 02:38 PM. Reason: Added more content.
              sigpic

Comment

you might want to add other sc-fi shows to your format which would mean a slight change to your name . example : gateway sci-fi or maybe sci-fi gateway . you do a very good job on the stargate series it would be nice to see galactica and star trek done as well if possible ?

Comment

Bring back Sen'il! And, in fact, semi-irregular columns more generally.
                  Last edited by davidiwharper; 27 November 2008, 03:21 PM. Reason: typo

Comment

NEWS FEATURES
                    Episode previews would be a good idea. They could feature a trailer as well.
                    Do you do episode reviews? also might be a good idea.

And the comment threads on news articles, personally i dont think they're necessary. We have the forum to, shall i say more maturely discuss topics. the comments threads seem to provoke a lot of arguments as im sure you've noticed.

Also, a quicker way to browse old news? Perhaps some kind of calendar, and when you click on the date all the news from that day is there for you.

PODCASTS
                    I think you mentioned doing this during last weeks podcast, but once Atlantis finishes and we wait for Universe to being, perhaps do a podcast discussing an individual season as a whole from either SG-1 or Atlantis. it would be interesting to hear your thoughts on that. Discuss the best and worst episodes of the season etc..

HOME PAGE
                    this is just a small change, but under the 'From the Stargate Omnipedia' section, perhaps there could be a small 'randomise' button, which would select a random entry from the omnipedia for you to view. also, the main banner which features a character from the show, might be rather cool if, like the main headlines, faded from one banner to another.

OMNIPEDIA
                    A weapons sub-topic perhaps?

FORUM
                    When you are on someones Forum site, perhaps there should be a more predominant link to befriend them? And this has probably been suggested in the past, but adding your own background would be fun.

And thats all i got for the now. Keep up the good work guys.
                    "There's nothing to be gained by second-guessing yourself. You can't remake the past. So look ahead… or risk being left behind"

Woolsey: That sounded like another explosion.
                    O'Neill: Yes. Yes it did.
                    Woolsey: What does that mean?
                    O'Neill: Something exploded...

sigpic

Comment

Great Idea, I am glad to add my two cents.
                      Forum
                      Please oh please make a general entertainment section, or alteast a standard television section.

WEBSITE

For the rotating image/main attraction/interview link on the main page make it so that we can shuffle through them oursleves so we dont have wait for the one we want to come up again.

Get rid of or fix the fan fiction section.

Comment

I think widening the entire site would be a good idea. It feels just a tad to squished for my liking.
                        My Stargate fan fiction @ FF.net | NEW: When Cassie Calls Teal'c.

Comment

the home page: it seems fine for me. i like that you post what the stargate stars are up to as well.

the episode guides: the only thing i'd change is; have an option at the end of the season/bottom of page where you could go to the next season.

news coverage: you said: "I'm also interested to hear if you like the new comment threads on news stories, or if you think they have become more trouble than they are worth."

i think the comment threads are great, but allowing ppl to post anonymously has caused way too much trouble. it brings out the worst in the worst. how about making them sign up to gateworld forum first, so their names show up? joe mallozzi made a change on his blog that your name and email address was a *must* to be able to leave a message there.

gateworld podcast: i don't listen to it, mainly because i take in info better when i can read it/see it. that's it.

ANYTHING ELSE? my new passion (that's not taken the place of stargate) is the show 'sanctuary'. i'd just love more news coverage on it. i know there's other places for it on this show, but i love gateworld's style and i trust the ppl that run it.

thanks,
                          sally
                          sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by majorsal View Post
                            the home page: it seems fine for me. i like that you post what the stargate stars are up to as well.

the episode guides: the only thing i'd change is; have an option at the end of the season/bottom of page where you could go to the next season.

news coverage: you said: "I'm also interested to hear if you like the new comment threads on news stories, or if you think they have become more trouble than they are worth."

i think the comment threads are great, but allowing ppl to post anonymously has caused way too much trouble. it brings out the worst in the worst. how about making them sign up to gateworld forum first, so their names show up? joe mallozzi made a change on his blog that your name and email address was a *must* to be able to leave a message there.

gateworld podcast: i don't listen to it, mainly because i take in info better when i can read it/see it. that's it.

ANYTHING ELSE? my new passion (that's not taken the place of stargate) is the show 'sanctuary'. i'd just love more news coverage on it. i know there's other places for it on this show, but i love gateworld's style and i trust the ppl that run it.

thanks,
                            sally
                            I agree about Sanctuary. There will come a time (sadly) that Stargate will start to wane a bit, if it hasn't already happened. Since so many of the people from Stargate are now in Sanctuary, how about increasing the coverage?
                            Visit me on http://wormholeriders.com/

Comment

Please, try to make/keep the response of the server better, as there are times when the site is slow. maybe because it has outgrown the server?

Keep the history of Stargate on the site, as even though the new site will be for a new show, the old shows (SG1 and SGA) info is very relavant.

Until we see the actual new show, it is hard to see what else could make it better.

IMHO
                              My Story:
                              http://www.veteranstoday.com/2010/10...%80%99s-story/

Comment

Working...
                              X