Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If wraith hive ships/crusiers have darts, then wont ancient ships have puddle jumpers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If wraith hive ships/crusiers have darts, then wont ancient ships have puddle jumpers

If wraith hive ships/cruisers have darts, then wont ancient ships have puddle jumpers? It makes cence. It is a counter attack. I understand that a drone is like a suicide puddle jumper and can intercept a dart, but i mean a jumper can take out hundreds of darts instead of 1 drone taking out 1 , MAYBE 2 darts.

Your thoughts

gavatarman
    Last edited by Anon; 03 December 2008, 02:30 AM.

sigpic
    Sig made by squirrely1
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQw4w9WgXcQ
    *PM me if you clicked on that link*

The Ancients were like the Asgard; they believed more in largely-invulnerable warships being sent out to simply wipe out all resistance. They didn't really believe in things like fighters and bombers.
    Click the banner or episode links to visit the virtual continuations of Stargate!
    Previous Episode: 11x03 "Shore Leave" | Previous Episode: 6x04 "Nightfall" | Now Airing: 3x06 "Eldest"

Comment

The Wraith cloned their warriors on mass at least mid to later throughout the war and could probably grow Darts incredibly fast as, like Hives/ Cruisers they were in a sense alive.
      I think that each Ancient citizen was probably a lot more valuable to the whole Ancient race than a drone cloned troop is to each alliance.

It really comes down to how each race used their technology and their strategies, as you must know the Ancients relied on their superior weaponry/defense tech and the Wraith just overpowered the Ancients with their numbers.

The amount of Darts a jumper can take out depends entirely on the pilot, whether they changed the cloak into a shield and stock of Drones (they carry what anywhere between 10 to 30, which is of course me guessing but given the size and where the Drones come from I don't think this allows for many more than 30 at the most).
      With someone like Sheppard in the pilot seat a Puddle Jumper could probably take out maybe 40 Darts I don't think they could destroy more than that a piece without at least refilling from Drone stocks on their mother ship.

I must also add that a fully stocked standard (no ZPM) Aurora can tear apart a Hive in seconds so the Wraith may not even get the chance to release it's Darts especially one on one.

Comment

Originally posted by Gavatarman View Post
        If wraith hive ships/crusiers have darts, then wont ancient ships have puddle jumpers? It makes sence. It is a counter attack. I understand that a drone is like a sucide puddle jumper and can intercept a dart, but i mean a jumper can take out hundereds of darts instead of 1 drone taking out 1 , MAYBE 2 darts.
        Dart=fighter
        Puddle Jumper=transport

Puddle Jumpers are designed to transport small objects or groups of people over long distances fairly quickly. A Puddle Jumper is not a combat vehicle and most like has drones only for self-defense in case it should encounter some form of hostile. Furthermore, most Ancient ships were armed with drones and since drones are small enough and precise enough to take out small ships like Darts, there is no need for Ancient ships to carry Puddle Jumpers, which are not designed for combat anyway.
        "From East Middle School. Suzumiya Haruhi. I have no interest in ordinary humans. If there are any aliens, time travelers, sliders, or espers here, come join me."
        - The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya; Best Character Introduction Ever.

"And can we lose the ten thousand year old dead plants?!"
        - Stargate: Atlantis (1x03) "Hide and Seek"

"Hammerheads do not load/unload units immediately – they must descend to ground level first. Initial experiments involving jump-jetting infantry into the Hammerhead’s cargo compartment met with unfortunate results."
        - Command&Conquer 3: Kane's Wrath Hammerhead Unit Spotlight

Comment

Originally posted by Gavatarman View Post
          If wraith hive ships/crusiers have darts, then wont ancient ships have puddle jumpers? It makes sence. It is a counter attack. I understand that a drone is like a sucide puddle jumper and can intercept a dart, but i mean a jumper can take out hundereds of darts instead of 1 drone taking out 1 , MAYBE 2 darts.

Your thoughts

gavatarman

(i know about my spelling, spell check is all F***ed up)

jumpers cant take out hundreds of darts, they only have 8 drones so they can only take out 8 darts. also, since the jumpers only weapon is drones, whats the point of exposing the jumper pilots to risk when they can just launch the drones from the ship, behind the shield, instead of from the puddle jumpers.

if the puddlejumpers had some sort of energy weapon, then it might be worth it but since they dont, i think that they were just designed as transport craft and possibly escape ships if destruction of the ship was emminent and should not be used as fighters.
          STARGATE ROCKS

THERE IS NO BETTER SHOW

Comment

Why do the Wraith even call them Darts? That name is just something that the Atlantis expedition made up "because they're so pointy."
            Wraith Humour. I has it.

Comment

Wraith Darts and Jumpers really cant be put into the same category, also we dont know how big an aurora class hanger bay actually is and we dont know if it could house many fighters.

Also the wraith are all about numbers, the ancient do things big and are more like the asgard like so9119 said

Comment

Aurora Class ships do have 3 launch bays-Larrin told Sheppard to park his jumper in bay 3 so it stands to reason that at least some were carried as shuttles????

Comment

Originally posted by jnadreth View Post
                  Aurora Class ships do have 3 launch bays-Larrin told Sheppard to park his jumper in bay 3 so it stands to reason that at least some were carried as shuttles????
                  True but we still dont know the size, maybe they have a few bays but only could fit a single jumper in? or maybe they were huge but we just dont know enough again.

Comment

Even if they could only hold 3 jumpers that would be OK. Look at how Sheppard damaged a Wraith hive in "Queen" when Teyla went around blowing everything up with Todds hive!

Comment

True but if it was Ancient WarShip against a Hive, 3 jumpers are not match for 50 or so darts.

Look at No Mans Land, Sheppard damaged 1 Hive but as soon as the other hive launched darts he was screwed

Comment

No but they could act like PT Boats from WW2 by sneaking up close and launching all of their drones and sneaking off. True the Darts are good against jumpers-If only the jumpers had energy weapons as well????

Comment

May have come down to a question of man power
                          sigpic
                          "We are the Fifth Race. Our role is clear. If there is any hope in preserving the future, it lies with us."
                          Signature made by RJB

Comment

Well, puddle jumpers, as established, are armed tranposrts. I suppose u could compare then to the Huey helicopter of its time. Now, if the ancients had invented a Puddlejumper gunship or sumthing, then I wud agree.

As for point defence, drones are both anti-ship wepaons and anti-air. They can take fighters no problem, and ships, so use them for both!
                            sigpic
                            385 Heroes coming Home

Here's to smart Mods

Comment

Well Aurora's have a bay for jumpers. Launching Jumpers against darts is sort of pointless, the darts will most likely outnumber the jumpers by a huge margin and Aurora class warships can easily dispatch Hive ships leaving the Darts stranded.
                              Robert Jastrow (self-proclaimed agnostic): "For the scientist who has lived by his faith in the power of reason, the story ends like a bad dream. He has scaled the mountains of ignorance; he is about to conquer the highest peak; as he pulls himself over the final rock, he is greeted by a band of theologians who have been sitting there for centuries."

Comment

Working...
                              X