Scrubs to pull an "SG-1"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Scrubs to pull an "SG-1"

Scrubs has been renewed for season 8 on ABC. But Zack Braff (J. D.), Judy Reyes (Carla) and Bill Lawrence (Show Creator) indicated that they will not be returning for the now hypothetical season 9.

Should they pull an SG-1 and recast/restaff the show for season 9 or end on a high note? Did SG-1 make the right call?
    sigpic
    "Most of our John Sheppard impressions sound more like a demented Jimmy Stewart than Joe Flanigan."
    ~David Hewlett

IMO, few shows can stay fresh and creative after about 5 seasons. Hell, most shows go stale earlier than that, sometimes even in their first season (sometimes before they even start filming, heh). End on a high note always sounds good to me. I think SG1 would have been better off ending after s8.

Comment

They cannot replace JD and carla. Without JD, you have no Chris Turk. Cancel the show.

Best Stargate quote:
      Sheppard: (yells to McKay) Canadian football is a joke! Celine Dion is overrated! Zelenka is smarter than you are!
      Green is your friend.

Comment

Originally posted by freyr's mother View Post
        They cannot replace JD and carla. Without JD, you have no Chris Turk. Cancel the show.
        agreed... isn't this more off topic than on topic though?
        scrubs peaked in season 4 anyway.
        Spoiler:
        Disclaimer:
        I have been using this username since 1998, it has no connection to "The Last Airbender", or James Cameron's movie.
        Quotes!
        - "Things will not calm down, Daniel Jackson, they will in fact calm up!"
        - "I hope you like Guinness Sir, I find it a refreshing alternative to... food"
        - "I'm Beginning to regret staying up late to watch "Deuce Bigalow: European Gigalo" last night... Check that, i regretted it almost immediately"
        sigpic

Comment

i think the problem is that they dont realize what they have.

zack braff thinks that he is some hotshot who can do movies and hit it big. but mostly all he does is B movies really. if he is content doing B movies the rest of his life, it would be a major dissapointment for me. the reason he is where he is, is due to scrubs. he doesnt realize how big scrubs really is for him. he may think that movies is where he wants to go, but without the tv show, he isnt really on the A list of people.

while some of his B movies may garner some intrest, its not what he is known for. and its just dissapointing.

Comment

Originally posted by Murzin View Post
            i think the problem is that they dont realize what they have.

zack braff thinks that he is some hotshot who can do movies and hit it big. but mostly all he does is B movies really. if he is content doing B movies the rest of his life, it would be a major dissapointment for me. the reason he is where he is, is due to scrubs. he doesnt realize how big scrubs really is for him. he may think that movies is where he wants to go, but without the tv show, he isnt really on the A list of people.

while some of his B movies may garner some intrest, its not what he is known for. and its just dissapointing.
            honestly i think he likes doing Artsy movies (notice i didn't say B movies, because he doesn't do B movies) but you never know, perhaps though the reson he hasn't done more mainstream movies is because he has spent the last 8 years of his life doing a TV show, which means the sceduling would clash, and perhaps he doesn't want to do a lot of stuff. anyway, the way i see it, he could be the next steve carrell if he want's to be.
            Spoiler:
            Disclaimer:
            I have been using this username since 1998, it has no connection to "The Last Airbender", or James Cameron's movie.
            Quotes!
            - "Things will not calm down, Daniel Jackson, they will in fact calm up!"
            - "I hope you like Guinness Sir, I find it a refreshing alternative to... food"
            - "I'm Beginning to regret staying up late to watch "Deuce Bigalow: European Gigalo" last night... Check that, i regretted it almost immediately"
            sigpic

Comment

I didn't think SG-1 ended on a high note, and if the original cast want to call it quits on Scrubs then end the show. All good things must come to an end eventually, and it'll be on their own terms which I think is always fantastic. Who knows? Maybe they'll return with a movie somewhere down the line.
              I write articles/features/reviews for I'm With Geek.com now. Check out our stuff if you get a minute!

sigpic
              Click on sig to check out my fanfic gallery too!

Comment

With regard to SG-1, it really helped me to think of seasons 9/10 as a spin-off of the original. Scrubs could do that, too. But since the uniqueness of the show came from JD's narration and crazy parenthetical thought scenes, TPTB will have to create a new dynamic, which will be risky at best.

On a related note, I'm a bit worried about SGU as a "spin-off" of SG-1. From what I've read, I think I'm just considering it as a whole different concept, with very little that will connect it to the Stargate world we have grown to love. Just like with Scrubs, though, I'll give it a chance. It might be able to stand on it's own.

Comment

"Garden State" is proof alone that Braff doesn't need Scrubs any more, and hasn't done for a long time. He's not looking for the big movies, though he could easily get the roles considering his success and popularity, he wants to work on passion pieces - and all I can say is well done to him.
                  Equality is not a concept. It's not something we should be striving for. It's a necessity. Equality is like gravity. We need it to stand on this earth as men and women. And the misogyny that is in every culture is not a true part of the human condition. It is life out of balance, and that imbalance is sucking something out of the soul of every man and woman who is confronted with it.
                  - Joss Whedon - Equality Now

Comment

Wow, it's starting to sound like Scrubs is precisely pulling a Season 9 SG-1. They confirmed that they're losing "expensive star" Zack Braff (J.D.), Judy Reyes (Carla), and most likely, show runner/creator Bill Lawrence. The plan is hiring some new leads if it get renewed again (http://www.thrfeed.com/2008/07/scrubs-could-co.html).
                    sigpic
                    "Most of our John Sheppard impressions sound more like a demented Jimmy Stewart than Joe Flanigan."
                    ~David Hewlett

Comment

Well,it doesn't look like a definite no to ZB/JD being in S9 of Scrubs.According to that article ,it looks like the negotations are still ongoing.

The whole show was centred round JD's POV,JD's friendships and relationships, and around his daydreams.

The whole dynamic of the show will be completely different without him and Carla,so unless there's a really plausible integration of the new characters ,the new writers are taking a big gamble .
                      The place to "Gate" to during Outages for updates and info:

Comment

Sorry, I should've posted these articles too, http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/ustv/a12...ts-scrubs.html & http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/ustv/a11...rt-scrubs.html, it's been confirmed that they're leaving. The negotiations are over, if Scrubs has a Season 9, it'll be without them.
                        sigpic
                        ~David Hewlett

Comment

Looks like it ,but these articles are all dated July/August.Must go digging too !

Edit: Nothing more recent found so far.Maybe I'm looking on the wrong links .TY for the ones you've posted though.

Anyway...going back to your original post question : I'd prefer a big bang for Scrubs with the original lineup to a whimper,but I can see scope if the new writers are up to the task .
                          Last edited by Bagpuss; 04 December 2008, 03:02 AM.
                          The place to "Gate" to during Outages for updates and info:

Comment

Working...
                          X