Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 44
  1. #1
    Lieutenant Colonel SGFerrit's Avatar
    Member Since
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Vancouver
    Posts
    3,933

    Thumbs up Universe will have a 3-hour premiere...

    ...According to Joe Mallozzi:

    Our second order of business was providing notes for episode #1. Brad and Rob did a terrific job of kicking things off in thrilling fashion. The script is fast-paced and fun; its characters unique and engaging. My favorite: Dr. David Rush. Oh, he’s going to be a handful. Originally planned as a two-parter, Brad and Robert quickly discovered that there was simply too much story for such a tight frame, so the series opener is now looking like a three-parter.
    Tomorrow, we discuss Brad’s first story following the big three-part opener, establish some of the big picture storylines and arcs we’d like to pursue over the course of the show’s first 20 episodes, and then start breaking Carl’s story.
    Link

    I think it's a good idea. If they don't think they can fit the whole thing into 2 hours, then it's best not to rush it. Should hopefully give the series an epic start.

  2. #2
    First Lieutenant Serebii's Avatar
    Member Since
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Bournemouth, England
    Posts
    635

    Default Re: Universe will have a 3-hour premiere...

    Quote Originally Posted by SGFerrit View Post
    ...According to Joe Mallozzi:





    Link

    I think it's a good idea. If they don't think they can fit the whole thing into 2 hours, then it's best not to rush it. Should hopefully give the series an epic start.
    Don't forget that the pilots for SG-1 and what would have been SG:Command (Season 9 of SG1) were both three parters so its not unprecedented

  3. #3
    Probie
    Member Since
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    21

    Default Re: Universe will have a 3-hour premiere...

    You mean 3 scifichannel hour That's 3* 43 = 129min so a tad more then 2 hours.
    Not very special. I rather see a pilot movie from netto 3 hours
    Just call a a serrie start with a 3 parter. With a pilot epp off 43 netto min. with a cliffhanger. end then the Will be Continued.

    Atlantis have severel eps wich are a full strory spread over 5 eps.

  4. #4
    Lieutenant Colonel SGFerrit's Avatar
    Member Since
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Vancouver
    Posts
    3,933

    Default Re: Universe will have a 3-hour premiere...

    1.I thought CoTG was a 2 parter, same as Rising?

    2. What the hell are you talking about Netto for? It's still better than the 2 hour premiere we were expecting, and it shows that they aren't trying to rush things.

  5. #5

    Default Re: Universe will have a 3-hour premiere...

    Quote Originally Posted by SGFerrit View Post
    I think it's a good idea. If they don't think they can fit the whole thing into 2 hours, then it's best not to rush it. Should hopefully give the series an epic start.
    Yeah, cos it's not like we don't know what will follow the "epic start"... If SGU were going to be written properly, there would be no need for two-parters and three-parters, cos each episode would be relevant to the overall storyline. Just goes to show SGU will also be infested with rehashed filler episodes. Somethings never change.

  6. #6
    Lieutenant Colonel Naonak's Avatar
    Member Since
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Cornwall
    Posts
    3,994

    Default Re: Universe will have a 3-hour premiere...

    Quote Originally Posted by sblade View Post
    Yeah, cos it's not like we don't know what will follow the "epic start"... If SGU were going to be written properly, there would be no need for two-parters and three-parters, cos each episode would be relevant to the overall storyline. Just goes to show SGU will also be infested with rehashed filler episodes. Somethings never change.
    Hardly - Lost and BSG both have two- and three-parters, just to give two examples of heavily arc-based shows.

    And anyway, seriously, standalone episode =/= pointless filler.

  7. #7
    Lieutenant Colonel SGFerrit's Avatar
    Member Since
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Vancouver
    Posts
    3,933

    Default Re: Universe will have a 3-hour premiere...

    :sigh:. BSG still has two parters. This does not mean they will have as many stand alone episodes as Atlantis, and to say that just because it will have a 3 part premiere is stupid and you know it. It may very well have lots of stand alone episodes, but that has nothing to do with how long the opener is.

    Edit: What Naonak said.

  8. #8
    Lieutenant Colonel AvatarIII's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 2007
    Location
    Back from Yudonwanano,
    Posts
    3,279

    Default Re: Universe will have a 3-hour premiere...

    Quote Originally Posted by Serebii View Post
    Don't forget that the pilots for SG-1 and what would have been SG:Command (Season 9 of SG1) were both three parters so its not unprecedented
    that's true and a similar point to what i would have made, although in both cases, the first 2 were the true pilot, then the 3rd ep was more of a FYI ep, filling in gaps of information left out in the 2 parter. what is unprecedented is the fact it will be 3 episode pilot, rather than a 3 episode introduction.
    Spoiler:
    Disclaimer:
    I have been using this username since 1998, it has no connection to "The Last Airbender", or James Cameron's movie.
    Quotes!
    - "Things will not calm down, Daniel Jackson, they will in fact calm up!"
    - "I hope you like Guinness Sir, I find it a refreshing alternative to... food"
    - "I'm Beginning to regret staying up late to watch "Deuce Bigalow: European Gigalo" last night... Check that, i regretted it almost immediately"
    STARGAvaTarIII
    http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k4...0137376zj2.png

  9. #9
    Mighty Avenger
    (Moderator Emeritus)
    Madwelshboy's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 2008
    Location
    Somewhere between the lab and labour ward
    Posts
    11,411

    Default Re: Universe will have a 3-hour premiere...

    Quote Originally Posted by Serebii View Post
    Don't forget that the pilots for SG-1 and what would have been SG:Command (Season 9 of SG1) were both three parters so its not unprecedented
    Quote Originally Posted by SGFerrit View Post
    1.I thought CoTG was a 2 parter, same as Rising?
    Serebii is referning to the fact that Children of the Gods & The Enemy Within and Avalon & Origin are both essentially 3 parters.

    I agree that it will allow a much more detailed introduction to the series, rather an compersing it into 2 hours

  10. #10
    Captain
    Member Since
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    1,030

    Default Re: Universe will have a 3-hour premiere...

    3 parters rule;

    what I mean is,

    it allows new fans to develop as the get hooked it, if it's good enough!

  11. #11

    Default Re: Universe will have a 3-hour premiere...

    Quote Originally Posted by Naonak View Post
    Hardly - Lost and BSG both have two- and three-parters, just to give two examples of heavily arc-based shows.

    And anyway, seriously, standalone episode =/= pointless filler.
    Quote Originally Posted by SGFerrit View Post
    :sigh:. BSG still has two parters. This does not mean they will have as many stand alone episodes as Atlantis, and to say that just because it will have a 3 part premiere is stupid and you know it. It may very well have lots of stand alone episodes, but that has nothing to do with how long the opener is.

    Edit: What Naonak said.
    Some people are so naive Out of SGU's 20 episodes, about 7 (1, 2, 3, 10, 11, 19 and 20) will be relevant to the overall story. Kinda makes you wonder why Stargate shows don't have 13 episodes per season... Lost and similar shows do have two-parters and three-parters (more like two-hour/three-hour episodes, actually), but, as you said, such shows deal with their respective stories 20+ episodes per season. That's not what we have experienced with Stargate. In fact, SG writers only come forward with this two-parter/three-parter talk when they feel compelled to use their brains to write something relatively new and relevant to the show, something they should do 20 episodes per season, but they don't.

  12. #12
    First Lieutenant Serebii's Avatar
    Member Since
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Bournemouth, England
    Posts
    635

    Default Re: Universe will have a 3-hour premiere...

    Why must everything be arc based nowadays for people to not ***** (although if they do they will then ***** that it is)

    Some of the best SG1 episodes are standalones which dont push the story forward so to speak

  13. #13
    Lieutenant Colonel AvatarIII's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 2007
    Location
    Back from Yudonwanano,
    Posts
    3,279

    Default Re: Universe will have a 3-hour premiere...

    Quote Originally Posted by Serebii View Post
    Why must everything be arc based nowadays for people to not ***** (although if they do they will then ***** that it is)

    Some of the best SG1 episodes are standalones which dont push the story forward so to speak
    i agree, some of SG-1s best eps were standalone, especially in the early years, however SGU looks to me, like it would benefit from being arc based from the character side, with only a reletively small cast i think that is necessary, hoever the fact the destiny is always moving will mean one offs will be the staple. and i'm looking forward to a nice mixture of arc and standalones.
    Spoiler:
    Disclaimer:
    I have been using this username since 1998, it has no connection to "The Last Airbender", or James Cameron's movie.
    Quotes!
    - "Things will not calm down, Daniel Jackson, they will in fact calm up!"
    - "I hope you like Guinness Sir, I find it a refreshing alternative to... food"
    - "I'm Beginning to regret staying up late to watch "Deuce Bigalow: European Gigalo" last night... Check that, i regretted it almost immediately"
    STARGAvaTarIII
    http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k4...0137376zj2.png

  14. #14
    Colonel nx01a's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Atlantus Outpost
    Posts
    7,297

    Default Re: Universe will have a 3-hour premiere...

    @ Sblade...
    I've always thought that cutting a 20 or 25 episode show down to 13 episodes would force writers and producers to only film the best episodes. I hate seeing filler just because you've got a quota to fill. Only do as many shows as necessary to tell the story and work any 'really cool' ideas you have into those stories, don't force them to sink/swim as stand alone episodes with no bearing to the greater whole.

  15. #15
    Chief Master Sergeant sinfuldraconis's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 2008
    Posts
    177

    Default Re: Universe will have a 3-hour premiere...

    I thought the SGU pilot was supposed to air as a 2 hour movie before the season even started officially? How's that going to work if they have it as 3 hours?

  16. #16
    Major General
    Member Since
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    12,439

    Default Re: Universe will have a 3-hour premiere...

    Quote Originally Posted by sinfuldraconis View Post
    I thought the SGU pilot was supposed to air as a 2 hour movie before the season even started officially? How's that going to work if they have it as 3 hours?
    The same way?

  17. #17
    You call that a glowstick?
    (Moderator)
    Skydiver's Avatar
    Member Since
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    54,912

    Default Re: Universe will have a 3-hour premiere...

    cotg was a two parter, as was Rising

    and, for that matter, sanctuary's television premiere was a 2 parter.

    2 part - 2 broadcast hours - premieres aren't quite all that rare.

    y'all do realize that, if 3 of the 20 episodes are aired in one night then you only get a total of 18 weeks of programming? Because there will only be 17 more episodes

    You're not getting more episodes, you're just getting part of them in one huge chunk

    as to the idea that they're gonna have - let's pretend with ddates here- a 2 hour movie in february then the show begins in march....easy. the two hours ends with a cliffie. they 'rebroadcast' that when the show premiers followed directly by the 1 hour conclusion.

    It'd be like showing children of the gods, then re-showing it and tacking enemy within as the third hour.

  18. #18
    Mrs Hughes Sp!der's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Lost in Time
    Posts
    3,385

    Default Re: Universe will have a 3-hour premiere...

    yay cannot wait!

  19. #19
    Major General
    Member Since
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    12,439

    Default Re: Universe will have a 3-hour premiere...

    Quote Originally Posted by Skydiver View Post
    cotg was a two parter, as was Rising

    and, for that matter, sanctuary's television premiere was a 2 parter.

    2 part - 2 broadcast hours - premieres aren't quite all that rare.

    y'all do realize that, if 3 of the 20 episodes are aired in one night then you only get a total of 18 weeks of programming? Because there will only be 17 more episodes

    You're not getting more episodes, you're just getting part of them in one huge chunk

    as to the idea that they're gonna have - let's pretend with ddates here- a 2 hour movie in february then the show begins in march....easy. the two hours ends with a cliffie. they 'rebroadcast' that when the show premiers followed directly by the 1 hour conclusion.

    It'd be like showing children of the gods, then re-showing it and tacking enemy within as the third hour.
    Which is even better. Hell, I would watch the an entire season straight away if I could. And judging by the amount of people who download leaked episodes and movies I think most people want to get their hand on as much Stargate as possible as quickly as possible.

  20. #20
    Chief Master Sergeant DesertFox2020's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 2008
    Location
    BC-304 Daedalus
    Posts
    205

    Default Re: Universe will have a 3-hour premiere...

    I think you can put anyone who looks at spoilers into that category (myself included). However, I don't want it all at once simply because it would seem over to quick. Although that would force them to make more of it! Have an episode every night through the week and at the end of the season have a several-month break to film new episodes.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Zero Hour (804)
    By GateWorld in forum SG-1 Season 8
    Replies: 204
    Last Post: September 13th, 2020, 03:44 AM
  2. Rush Hour 3
    By 2ndgenerationalteran in forum Heroes
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: August 22nd, 2007, 08:23 AM
  3. Zero Hour.....missed it
    By jennsif in forum Stargate SG-1
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: August 1st, 2004, 11:37 PM
  4. Zero Hour Tape
    By ncfd510 in forum Stargate SG-1
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: August 1st, 2004, 01:16 PM
  5. Goof in ZERO HOUR
    By DownFallAngel in forum Stargate SG-1
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: August 1st, 2004, 10:54 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •