Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

could anyone explain without spoilers what this series is about? wikipedia says it's an epic fantasy but I didn't see any fantasy elements in the trailer
    I'm an average viewer. As plain as they come. People make TV shows based on my demographic.

Million's of ZPM's, ZPM's for free! Millions of ZPM's, ZPM's for me!

Comment

It has been many years since I actually read this, but it is not fantasy heavy. Most of the fantastical elements take place outside the Seven Kingdoms and the story lines are smaller in the beginning. It is extremely hard to explain as there is a lot of back story. It is very political and is pretty much about the struggle for the lands.

The reason for the saying you see all the time in the advertising, "Winter Is Coming", is because winter is right around the corner when the book starts and it will last for years.

I only read the first book because I wasn't as drawn in as most people. I did like the story though and would have read the rest, but I knew G.R.R.M. has been taking forever in finishing the series and I didn't want to have to wait for another series. I am sure others here can explain more having read the rest.

I know Martin is involved with the series, but many book to TV adaptions have been changed drastically. Some I like (True Blood, IMO way better than the books) and some I don't (Legend of the Seeker). I tend to like HBO's adaptions, so I am really looking forward to seeing what comes from ASoIaF.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Wayston View Post
        could anyone explain without spoilers what this series is about? wikipedia says it's an epic fantasy but I didn't see any fantasy elements in the trailer
        It's low fantasy. There is magic but it's very rare, normally requires a price in blood. The most fantastical nature of the series is the world it is set on, where seasons last for decades. There was magic in the past, dragons, undead and the mysterious race called “The Others” but they disappeared. However as the series progresses let’s just say magic and the supernatural comes back onto the scene, though half the characters in the story are too busy in the middle of a massive war to notice.

Comment

Here you can watch the HBO behind-the-scenes preview "Inside Game of Thrones" (over 11 minutes long!)
          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-EVKp...layer_embedded
          sigpic
          My short movie "Red Bag" / The Scifi Guys Podcast / My Twitter account

Comment

Originally posted by The Mighty 6 platoon View Post
            It's low fantasy. There is magic but it's very rare, normally requires a price in blood. The most fantastical nature of the series is the world it is set on, where seasons last for decades. There was magic in the past, dragons, undead and the mysterious race called “The Others” but they disappeared. However as the series progresses let’s just say magic and the supernatural comes back onto the scene, though half the characters in the story are too busy in the middle of a massive war to notice.
            Yup. Pretty much this. The magical elements tend to take a backseat to stuff like politics and the characters.

Just one important magical note to remember: House Greyjoy will win 'cause they worship Cthulhu!
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Andron View Post
              Here you can watch the HBO behind-the-scenes preview "Inside Game of Thrones" (over 11 minutes long!)
              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-EVKp...layer_embedded
              Saw this on 'certain sites' the other day and just finished watching it.... Lots of little bits of footage from the show and a lot of talk from people involved in the series. Definitely a great watch for anyone anticipating this series.

I didn't even realize till watching this that Jason Momoa (Ronan, SGA) and Aiden Gillen (Tommy Carcetti, The Wire) were going to be in it till now! Can you tell I've been avoiding all manner of spoilers for the show?
              "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
                Saw this on 'certain sites' the other day and just finished watching it.... Lots of little bits of footage from the show and a lot of talk from people involved in the series. Definitely a great watch for anyone anticipating this series.

I didn't even realize till watching this that Jason Momoa (Ronan, SGA) and Aiden Gillen (Tommy Carcetti, The Wire) were going to be in it till now! Can you tell I've been avoiding all manner of spoilers for the show?
                That behind the scenes is one giant spoiler! Well, sort of..I guess if you've read the books, nothing is really considered spoiler
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by magictrick View Post
                  That behind the scenes is one giant spoiler!
                  I know...I caved

Well, sort of..I guess if you've read the books, nothing is really considered spoiler
                  This is true. But I guess it falls into the same sort of spoiler category as The Walking Dead. And I haven't read the books (in either case), so....
                  "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

So far everything looks terrific, but how on earth are they going to make a series like this work if they remain faithful to the books? After season 1 practically every character will go off on their own adventures and will never see each other again. That doesn't exactly spell long term success for a tv show.

Comment

Originally posted by Krichton View Post
                      So far everything looks terrific, but how on earth are they going to make a series like this work if they remain faithful to the books? After season 1 practically every character will go off on their own adventures and will never see each other again. That doesn't exactly spell long term success for a tv show.
                      Are there even plans to continue? As of now its just this one book that's a miniseries. I'm sure if its really successful they will find a way. Besides, some of the characters still have interactions with each other, and new characters are added in the other books as well.
                      sigpic

Comment

Are there even plans to continue? As of now its just this one book that's a miniseries.
                        Nope....the show is being treated as a first season of a series, not a miniseries

Comment

The plan is that each book will be one season of the tv show. Though that may get complicated with "A Feast for Crows" and "A Dance with Dragons" for obvious reasons...but let's wait and see how they'll solve that problem.
                          sigpic
                          My short movie "Red Bag" / The Scifi Guys Podcast / My Twitter account

Comment

I just want to see the fantasy elements. Don't really care much about the silly politics. Not much fantasy shows. There's none that I'm aware off currently.

Comment

Originally posted by jmoz View Post
                              I just want to see the fantasy elements. Don't really care much about the silly politics. Not much fantasy shows. There's none that I'm aware off currently.
                              Fantasy doe not equal dragons and spell casting. If you're interested in seeing elves and ogres and what not you're going to be disappointed in this show.
                              We're whalers on the moon,
                              We carry a harpoon.
                              But there ain't no whales
                              So we tell tall tales
                              And sing our whaling tune.

Comment

Originally posted by Oka View Post
                                Fantasy doe not equal dragons and spell casting. If you're interested in seeing elves and ogres and what not you're going to be disappointed in this show.
                                Didn't mean it like that. I know what fantasy is, I've read Song of Ice and Fire. It's very diluted fantasy.

Comment

Working...
                                X