This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by magictrick View Post
    Are there even plans to continue? As of now its just this one book that's a miniseries. I'm sure if its really successful they will find a way. Besides, some of the characters still have interactions with each other, and new characters are added in the other books as well.
    The first season will have 12 episodes, which is a standard HBO season.

Originally posted by jmoz View Post
    Didn't mean it like that. I know what fantasy is, I've read Song of Ice and Fire. It's very diluted fantasy.
    Low fantasy is the correct term. And if you've read any of the books then you'd know that the "silly" politics is pretty much a focus of the books. Considering that George R.R Martin is exec producing and is a member of the writing staff, and the series is supposed to be very faithful to the books, I don't think that's going to change.

Comment

I'm hoping with the shortened depiction of the books in tv format, they'd focus on the fantasy elements more. The Wraith or whatever they're called. There's a subtle undertone of a looming invasion by them in the series which still hasn't happened yet.

Comment

Originally posted by jmoz View Post
        I'm hoping with the shortened depiction of the books in tv format, they'd focus on the fantasy elements more. The Wraith or whatever they're called. There's a subtle undertone of a looming invasion by them in the series which still hasn't happened yet.
        If you read the books then you must realize that magic has absolutely no part to play in the overall plot of the books. Aside from the dragons it would be much easier simply to ignore the few instances where Martin felt it necessary to just throw in magic just for the sake of it rather than it having it play an integral part in the storytelling.

Comment

Yea I don't think fantasy is really the focus here. The only reason its classified as fantasy is because it takes place in a fantasy world. And of course, there are a few elements like dragons and the Others that add to it, but not much focus on those.
          sigpic

Comment

Are the books really worth checking out? As a rule, I tend to turn my nose up at any non-Tolkien, non-Lewis fantasy, but I'm quite looking forward to the TV series.
            "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

It seems like you've answered your own question. The funny part is that Martin fans also turn their noses up at any NON Martin books. lol!

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
                Are the books really worth checking out? As a rule, I tend to turn my nose up at any non-Tolkien, non-Lewis fantasy, but I'm quite looking forward to the TV series.
                They sure are. I was hooked from the very first one. Personally what I liked is that there are fantasy elements but there is also a ton of character development. Each character is layered and there is no "good vs bad" scenario which is great.
                sigpic

Comment

When is this series starting exactly. I love the books and I'm really looking forward to this tv series so this is actually going to get me to subscribe to HBO again.
                  sigpic

Comment

April. We don't have an exact date yet, but you can bet it'll be on a Sunday; which means it'll be on the 3rd, 10th, 17th, or 24th.
                    "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Cool thanks, at least I know which month to call the cable company up by lol.
                      sigpic

Comment

There's a new behind-the-scenes featurette about the costume armor.

The Artisans: Simon Brindle http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SNIw5rAkzAs
                        sigpic
                        My short movie "Red Bag" / The Scifi Guys Podcast / My Twitter account

Comment

http://www.makinggameofthrones.com/p...announced.html
                          sigpic
                          The Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Thunk thread The Sam/RepliCarter Ship Thread

Comment

Oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh

Comment

Gimme gimme gimme.

Comment

HBO released another awesome GoT teaser

The Game Begins
                                sigpic
                                The Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Thunk thread The Sam/RepliCarter Ship Thread

Comment

Working...
                                X