This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Chaka-Z0 View Post
    Well The Long Night only has a few paragraphs devoted to it in the anthology book. All I'm going to say is...

Frost Spiders
    Really Chaka? Can you believe nobody else is hyped as much as us? White Walkers riding Frost Spiders into battle, how cool is that!
    Spoiler:
    I don’t want to be human. I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-rays, and I want to smell dark matter. Do you see the absurdity of what I am? I can’t even express these things properly, because I have to—I have to conceptualize complex ideas in this stupid, limiting spoken language, but I know I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws, and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me. I’m a machine, and I can know much more.

Comment

Really Chaka? Can you believe nobody else is hyped as much as us? White Walkers riding Frost Spiders into battle, how cool is that!
      Did...did you just reply to yourself?

You're talking about the World of Ice & Fire reference book that came out a few years back, right? The one that was a kind of history of the world, as if it was written by a Maester as a coronation gift for Joffrey/Tommen (I forget which)? I read that cover to cover within days of it coming out, but haven't gone back to it since then. It was quite good. I haven't gotten around to the new Targaryen-centric one from last year yet, though.
      "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
        Did...did you just reply to yourself?

You're talking about the World of Ice & Fire reference book that came out a few years back, right? The one that was a kind of history of the world, as if it was written by a Maester as a coronation gift for Joffrey/Tommen (I forget which)? I read that cover to cover within days of it coming out, but haven't gone back to it since then. It was quite good. I haven't gotten around to the new Targaryen-centric one from last year yet, though.
        Of course I did, I also enjoy cracking myself up by telling me jokes I've never heard before

Yes that's exactly it. It is said that during the Long Night the WW came outta nowhere from the North riding Frost Spiders and brought havoc to Westoros. Once defeated, plans were made to build the Wall by the legendary Bran the Builder in cooperation with the Children of the Forest that laid spells on the Wall and Giants that helped build it.
        Spoiler:
        I don’t want to be human. I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-rays, and I want to smell dark matter. Do you see the absurdity of what I am? I can’t even express these things properly, because I have to—I have to conceptualize complex ideas in this stupid, limiting spoken language, but I know I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws, and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me. I’m a machine, and I can know much more.

Comment

I'm currently reading the Targaryen one, 300 years of Fire and Blood, about the Targaryen reigns from Aegon the first of his name, the Conqueror, up until their downfall I guess the book ends at Robert's rebellion.

I think it's a good read, Martin is quite good to turn a ''historic'' ouvrage and add small stories and twists that makes it interesting. I honestly have no clue how he comes up with ALL those thousand names of lords and sirs, there are so many names in there it can get confusing at times.

(The funniest I've seen is a guy called the Red Dog, Ser Dogglet, which was the leader of the Warriors Sons (the armed faith militants) that rebelled against Maegor the Cruel / Usurper during his reign).
          Spoiler:

Comment

I think it's a good read, Martin is quite good to turn a ''historic'' ouvrage and add small stories and twists that makes it interesting. I honestly have no clue how he comes up with ALL those thousand names of lords and sirs, there are so many names in there it can get confusing at times.
            I don't know how he comes up with them, but I do know that he routinely consults with both the Wiki of Ice and Fire and the people who founded/run it, so that he doesn't mix up characters and histories.

I'll get to it sooner or later. I do enjoy the books and the universe. It's just....as he seems to be in no rush to continue the story that I started buying so many years ago, I in turn don't feel any particular need to rush to give him more money. I'll buy it, once it's gone to paperback and is cheaper.
            "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Right I forgot he didn't actually write the thing and all the illustrations are done by his team. I do feel you for giving him money. It's funny my brother and I gifted each other with the same book at Christmas. I also like the fact the 300 book is filled with drawings of scenes or characters depicted in the book.
              Spoiler:

Comment

The perfect tragic ending could be that Dany is sitting on the dying Drogon, while Bran takes over the animal with his warg skill. He forces the dragon to fly to Essos to the infinite grass land as he can extend his skills through the trees. Drogon dies and so does Bran because of the connection. The mad Dany will be sentenced to die alone in the middle of the "ghost grass". She will be forgotten by the living people as the camera zoomes out, but she is reunited with her khal there.
                "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

I thought this might be interesting to some of you guys. ''Not a Blog'' entry from GRRM on May 13th:

Spoiler:
                  Idiocy on the Internet
                  MAY 13, 2019 AT 3:00 PM
                  Profile Pic
                  Internet journalism is an oxymoron, I am more and more convinced.

Of late it seems there’s a new story about me somewhere on the net every day, or near enough to make no matter. Many get things wrong. For the most part I ignore them. I have better things to do than try and track down every weird rumor or out-and-out fabrication that pops up on some obscure website trolling for traffic.

Every so often, however, one of these stories gains an improbable currency, and just chuckling at the insanity no longer suffices.

That seems to be happening right now. All of a sudden this crazy story about my finishing THE WINDS OF WINTER and A DREAM OF SPRING years ago is popping up everywhere. No, I am not going to provide links. I don’t want to reward purveyors of misinformation with hits.

I will, however, say for the record — no, THE WINDS OF WINTER and A DREAM OF SPRING are not finished. DREAM is not even begun; I am not going to start writing volume seven until I finish volume six

It seems absurd to me that I need to state this. The world is round, the Earth revolves around the sun, water is wet… do I need to say that too? It boggles me that anyone would believe this story, even for an instant. It makes not a whit of sense. Why would I sit for years on completed novels? Why would my publishers — not just here in the US, but all around the world — ever consent to this? They make millions and millions of dollars every time a new Ice & Fire book comes out, as do I. Delaying makes no sense. Why would HBO want the books delayed? The books help create interest in the show, just as the show creates interest in the books.

So… no, the books are not done. HBO did not ask me to delay them. Nor did David & Dan. There is no “deal” to hold back on the books. I assure you, HBO and David & Dan would both have been thrilled and delighted if THE WINDS OF WINTER had been delivered and published four or five years ago… and NO ONE would have been more delighted than me.

I have said it before: don’t believe everything you read on the internet.

Except here, of course.
                  Spoiler:

Comment

Ha ha, that's actually been my pet theory for about four years now, that he was just sitting on it and one day he'll just go "BOOM, it's DONE motherf---ers, now LEAVE ME ALONE!"

Comment

Filming on the spin-off show begins next month, and it now has a working title: "Bloodmoon"

https://comicbook.com/tv-shows/2019/...tle-bloodmoon/

Comment

Alrighty. When is George R.R. Martin finally going to publish a new book for A Song of Fire and Ice? My husband and I are re watching the series right now. He's read the books several times over. He keeps WHINNING that there hasn't been a new book in ages. I REFUSE to even start on the books until the series is actually done because this author is driving me crazy with his inability to end this story.

I told my husband he can read my Witcher novels. It has an ENDING. Then I get glares.
                        Orphan Black: Join the Clone Club Dance Party!

Comment

Working...
                        X