Page 4 of 67 FirstFirst 12345671454 ... LastLast

Default Re: HBO greenlights A Game of Thrones pilot!!!

could anyone explain without spoilers what this series is about? wikipedia says it's an epic fantasy but I didn't see any fantasy elements in the trailer
    I'm an average viewer. As plain as they come. People make TV shows based on my demographic.

Million's of ZPM's, ZPM's for free! Millions of ZPM's, ZPM's for me!

It has been many years since I actually read this, but it is not fantasy heavy. Most of the fantastical elements take place outside the Seven Kingdoms and the story lines are smaller in the beginning. It is extremely hard to explain as there is a lot of back story. It is very political and is pretty much about the struggle for the lands.

The reason for the saying you see all the time in the advertising, "Winter Is Coming", is because winter is right around the corner when the book starts and it will last for years.

I only read the first book because I wasn't as drawn in as most people. I did like the story though and would have read the rest, but I knew G.R.R.M. has been taking forever in finishing the series and I didn't want to have to wait for another series. I am sure others here can explain more having read the rest.

I know Martin is involved with the series, but many book to TV adaptions have been changed drastically. Some I like (True Blood, IMO way better than the books) and some I don't (Legend of the Seeker). I tend to like HBO's adaptions, so I am really looking forward to seeing what comes from ASoIaF.

Lieutenant Colonel

Quote Originally Posted by Wayston View Post
    could anyone explain without spoilers what this series is about? wikipedia says it's an epic fantasy but I didn't see any fantasy elements in the trailer
    It's low fantasy. There is magic but it's very rare, normally requires a price in blood. The most fantastical nature of the series is the world it is set on, where seasons last for decades. There was magic in the past, dragons, undead and the mysterious race called “The Others” but they disappeared. However as the series progresses let’s just say magic and the supernatural comes back onto the scene, though half the characters in the story are too busy in the middle of a massive war to notice.

Here you can watch the HBO behind-the-scenes preview "Inside Game of Thrones" (over 11 minutes long!)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-EVKp...layer_embedded

Quote Originally Posted by The Mighty 6 platoon View Post
    It's low fantasy. There is magic but it's very rare, normally requires a price in blood. The most fantastical nature of the series is the world it is set on, where seasons last for decades. There was magic in the past, dragons, undead and the mysterious race called “The Others” but they disappeared. However as the series progresses let’s just say magic and the supernatural comes back onto the scene, though half the characters in the story are too busy in the middle of a massive war to notice.
    Yup. Pretty much this. The magical elements tend to take a backseat to stuff like politics and the characters.

Just one important magical note to remember: House Greyjoy will win 'cause they worship Cthulhu!
    http://forum.gateworld.net/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=43546&dateline=1312852922

Quote Originally Posted by Andron View Post
    Here you can watch the HBO behind-the-scenes preview "Inside Game of Thrones" (over 11 minutes long!)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-EVKp...layer_embedded
    Saw this on 'certain sites' the other day and just finished watching it.... Lots of little bits of footage from the show and a lot of talk from people involved in the series. Definitely a great watch for anyone anticipating this series.

I didn't even realize till watching this that Jason Momoa (Ronan, SGA) and Aiden Gillen (Tommy Carcetti, The Wire) were going to be in it till now! Can you tell I've been avoiding all manner of spoilers for the show?
    "Not every movie is for you. Not every TV show is for you. Not every song is for you. Find the things you like, and like them. Go nuts liking them. A thing ISN’T for you? Cool. Go find something you like. That’s it. That’s as complicated as it should be." -- David Blue

Quote Originally Posted by DigiFluid View Post
    Saw this on 'certain sites' the other day and just finished watching it.... Lots of little bits of footage from the show and a lot of talk from people involved in the series. Definitely a great watch for anyone anticipating this series.

I didn't even realize till watching this that Jason Momoa (Ronan, SGA) and Aiden Gillen (Tommy Carcetti, The Wire) were going to be in it till now! Can you tell I've been avoiding all manner of spoilers for the show?
    That behind the scenes is one giant spoiler! Well, sort of..I guess if you've read the books, nothing is really considered spoiler

Quote Originally Posted by magictrick View Post
    That behind the scenes is one giant spoiler!
    I know...I caved

Well, sort of..I guess if you've read the books, nothing is really considered spoiler
    This is true. But I guess it falls into the same sort of spoiler category as The Walking Dead. And I haven't read the books (in either case), so....
    "Not every movie is for you. Not every TV show is for you. Not every song is for you. Find the things you like, and like them. Go nuts liking them. A thing ISN’T for you? Cool. Go find something you like. That’s it. That’s as complicated as it should be." -- David Blue

Second Lieutenant

So far everything looks terrific, but how on earth are they going to make a series like this work if they remain faithful to the books? After season 1 practically every character will go off on their own adventures and will never see each other again. That doesn't exactly spell long term success for a tv show.

Quote Originally Posted by Krichton View Post
    So far everything looks terrific, but how on earth are they going to make a series like this work if they remain faithful to the books? After season 1 practically every character will go off on their own adventures and will never see each other again. That doesn't exactly spell long term success for a tv show.
    Are there even plans to continue? As of now its just this one book that's a miniseries. I'm sure if its really successful they will find a way. Besides, some of the characters still have interactions with each other, and new characters are added in the other books as well.

Are there even plans to continue? As of now its just this one book that's a miniseries.
    Nope....the show is being treated as a first season of a series, not a miniseries

The plan is that each book will be one season of the tv show. Though that may get complicated with "A Feast for Crows" and "A Dance with Dragons" for obvious reasons...but let's wait and see how they'll solve that problem.

I just want to see the fantasy elements. Don't really care much about the silly politics. Not much fantasy shows. There's none that I'm aware off currently.

Second Lieutenant

Quote Originally Posted by jmoz View Post
    I just want to see the fantasy elements. Don't really care much about the silly politics. Not much fantasy shows. There's none that I'm aware off currently.
    Fantasy doe not equal dragons and spell casting. If you're interested in seeing elves and ogres and what not you're going to be disappointed in this show.
    We're whalers on the moon,
    We carry a harpoon.
    But there ain't no whales
    So we tell tall tales
    And sing our whaling tune.

Quote Originally Posted by Oka View Post
    Fantasy doe not equal dragons and spell casting. If you're interested in seeing elves and ogres and what not you're going to be disappointed in this show.
    Didn't mean it like that. I know what fantasy is, I've read Song of Ice and Fire. It's very diluted fantasy.

Lieutenant Colonel

Are there even plans to continue? As of now its just this one book that's a miniseries. I'm sure if its really successful they will find a way. Besides, some of the characters still have interactions with each other, and new characters are added in the other books as well.
    The first season will have 12 episodes, which is a standard HBO season.

Didn't mean it like that. I know what fantasy is, I've read Song of Ice and Fire. It's very diluted fantasy.
    Low fantasy is the correct term. And if you've read any of the books then you'd know that the "silly" politics is pretty much a focus of the books. Considering that George R.R Martin is exec producing and is a member of the writing staff, and the series is supposed to be very faithful to the books, I don't think that's going to change.

I'm hoping with the shortened depiction of the books in tv format, they'd focus on the fantasy elements more. The Wraith or whatever they're called. There's a subtle undertone of a looming invasion by them in the series which still hasn't happened yet.

Second Lieutenant

I'm hoping with the shortened depiction of the books in tv format, they'd focus on the fantasy elements more. The Wraith or whatever they're called. There's a subtle undertone of a looming invasion by them in the series which still hasn't happened yet.
    If you read the books then you must realize that magic has absolutely no part to play in the overall plot of the books. Aside from the dragons it would be much easier simply to ignore the few instances where Martin felt it necessary to just throw in magic just for the sake of it rather than it having it play an integral part in the storytelling.

Yea I don't think fantasy is really the focus here. The only reason its classified as fantasy is because it takes place in a fantasy world. And of course, there are a few elements like dragons and the Others that add to it, but not much focus on those.

Are the books really worth checking out? As a rule, I tend to turn my nose up at any non-Tolkien, non-Lewis fantasy, but I'm quite looking forward to the TV series.