X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Essential Episodes in SG-1, Season One

Hello all,

As I'm wrapping up my viewing of SG-1 Seasons Nine and Ten (I jumped to them after becoming a fan of "Farscape"), I've become interested in viewing SG-1 from the beginning. However, from what I've read elsewhere, many of the episodes in Season One aren't essential to the overall story arc that plays out in Seasons 1-5 (and are pretty rough on occasion, as the series was still finding its footing). Can anyone provide me with a list of episodes in Season One that are absolutely essential to the overarching storyline?

Thanks for any help you provide.

This would be my selection of "must see" season one episodes:

Children of the Gods
    Thor's Hammer
    There But For the Grace of God
    Politics
    Within the Serpent's Grasp

It's helpful to see the others, but not strictly necessary.
    Hunger is Distasteful...

"Jaffa, I can't believe it's not butter! Kree!"

Comment

Torment of Tantalus. you learn a little bit about the 4 races of that time.

Comment

In addition to the ones that have been mentioned above by LordDylan and neoncrazy101:

The Nox
        Enigma
        Solitudes

As each features elements or races contained within later seasons.
        The Nox and Enigma are also two classics in my opinion and personal favorites of mine.

Comment

*cough* all of them *cough*

No seriously though, I did what you're wanting to do--that is jump from important episode to important episode and skip all those in between--and it's just not a good idea. Yeah sure there's more episodes that have the main story and all, but to get the full stargate experience you need to see them all.
          sigpic
          ____I reserve the right to be completely wrong about any topic I post on.

Comment

The early seasons were by far and away the best, and it really doesn't pay to skip any episodes. With few exceptions, they're all good. You'd miss a lot skipping over non-essential episodes. But you can skip Politics... worst. episode. ever.
            My Stargate fan fiction @ FF.net | NEW: When Cassie Calls Teal'c.

Comment

If you skip the episodes you miss what makes Stargate Stargate. That is the team interaction. The show's first years were built on the back of Richard Dean Anderson, RDA. You get to see the team grow and bond in every episode I feel. For example in "The Enemy Within" you get to see how close Oneal and Kowalski are and how Tealc begins to earn the trust of the SGC. I think that was a great episode because it showed the losses we could face, but the friends we could get.

Comment

this is weird as ive bn watching all of stargate again on dvd. i do agree with the one tlking about to get the stargate experience. I would say it is vital as it shows development of the characters, technology, races and vitally the stargat itself. I would start with the movie and go on to the tv series. Some would say its not needed to view the movie, i would disagree as many times there are references to it and you see some form of charatcer relationship between jackson and the abydonians and especially O'neil (l).
                (hopefully some will get the O'neil(l)

My advice is to watch it all from the movie to the end, including sga - full stargate experience

Comment

Originally posted by chewie2020 View Post
                  My advice is to watch it all from the movie to the end, including sga - full stargate experience
                  I agree! Skipping some episodes, especially in season one, doesn't allow you to get the full Stargate experience! You miss too much of the character interaction (and the foundations of that interaction) and there are so many references later down the line that to avoid any confusion it's better to watch them all in order. I'm trying to introduce some friends to Stargate but I only have seasons 3, 4 and 7 on dvd - they're more than a little confused...so i'd take the time to watch all of them - you won't regret it!

Comment

I agree with everyone who has said tha skipping some episodes dosent give you the complete experience. Even tho there are some episodes in season 1, which dont have any future story pay off, they usually have some small character defining momments in them.

But if i was to put to gether a list of much watch episodes from season 1, it would probably be:-

Children of the Gods
                    The Enemy Within
                    The Nox
                    Thor's Hammer
                    The Torment of Tantalus
                    Bloodlines
                    Hathor
                    Singularity
                    Enigma
                    Solitudes
                    Tin Man
                    Politics

Comment

I'd drop Hathor, actually. It's a pretty bad episode and it's not that essential.
                      Pinky, are you thinking what I'm thinking?
                      Yes, I am!
                      sigpic
                      Improved and unfuzzy banner being the result of more of Caldwell's 2IC sick, yet genuis, mind.
                      Help Pitry win a competition! Listen to Kula Shaker's new single
                      Peter Pan R.I.P

Comment

Originally posted by Pitry View Post
                        I'd drop Hathor, actually. It's a pretty bad episode and it's not that essential.
                        Well it dose give background to Out of Mind and Into the Fire and also shows the start of Carter and Janets freindship

Comment

However Hathor/Into the Fire and Out of Mind and the beginning of Sam and Janet's friendship are not needed for the overall story arc.

Season 1 is a bit rougher than the rest of the seasons, but that is true of any show. When I see S1 eps of Star Trek TNG I find myself pretty amused. I would, like the others, advise watching them all though. They might not be essential to the overall story arcs as the Ancients and Ori hadn't even been hinted at then but they are worth watching for the character development and the humour.

Even some of the bad episodes, such as Emancipation, can be thougth provoking if you look beyond the surface.
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by LordDylan View Post
                            This would be my selection of "must see" season one episodes:

Children of the Gods
                            Thor's Hammer
                            Politics

It's helpful to see the others, but not strictly necessary.
                            how can you forgett tarment of tatalus, it is the key show off that season

Comment

Originally posted by Mousie View Post
                              However Hathor/Into the Fire and Out of Mind and the beginning of Sam and Janet's friendship are not needed for the overall story arc.

Season 1 is a bit rougher than the rest of the seasons, but that is true of any show. When I see S1 eps of Star Trek TNG I find myself pretty amused. I would, like the others, advise watching them all though. They might not be essential to the overall story arcs as the Ancients and Ori hadn't even been hinted at then but they are worth watching for the character development and the humour.

Even some of the bad episodes, such as Emancipation, can be thougth provoking if you look beyond the surface.
                              Personally, I prefer season 1 over season 2. Or 7. Or 10...
                              But yeah, I agree about the small episodes, such as the not-mentioned-here Broca Divide or First Commandment etc. They're both character development and in fact very lovely!
                              Pinky, are you thinking what I'm thinking?
                              Yes, I am!
                              sigpic
                              Improved and unfuzzy banner being the result of more of Caldwell's 2IC sick, yet genuis, mind.
                              Help Pitry win a competition! Listen to Kula Shaker's new single
                              Peter Pan R.I.P

Comment

Working...
                              X