• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Eclipse, Part 1 (310)

Visit the Episode GuideHEROES SEASON THREE
    THE ECLIPSE, PART 1
    EPISODE NUMBER - 310

Arthur sends Sylar and Elle to capture Claire, who is being trained to fight by her father. Nathan and Peter go in search of the Haitian, while Matt follows Daphne to her hometown in Kansas when she loses faith in herself. The arrival of an eclipse robs everyone of their special abilities.

VISIT THE EPISODE GUIDE >
    Last edited by GateWorld; 01 May 2015, 10:04 PM.

Good episode tonight. Definitely setting everything up for the second part, which I can't wait to see. Seeing them all struggling with not being able to use their powers was great too. They have all become so dependent on them since this show began. It will be very interesting to see where this eclipse thing leads.
    sigpic
    MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
    "...phu...ah..."
    "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
    Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

Spoiler:
      Sylar/Elle Kissage - Yay!

Elle hurting Claire - "Aww"

Noah leaving Claire to kill Sylar/Elle - Eww.

Seth Green - omgyes.

Comment

Originally posted by GATEGOD View Post
        Spoiler:

Seth Green - omgyes.
        you don't need to use spoiler alerts

Comment

I just can't wait to see how Sylar is going to survive a vengeful HRG.
          sigpic
          MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
          "...phu...ah..."
          "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
          Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

Spoiler:

Seth Green - omgyes.
            I know i saw Seth Green's name in the opening credits and was just like omg what???

Good episode but a bit of an anticlimax. You can pretty much sum up the episode by saying that everyone looses their powers.

I hope part 2 is good or i will be very dissapointed.
            The BC-304... Just Try And Stop Us Now!

sigpic

Comment

I'm still a fan of the show, and right now have no real pet peeves with the episodes and such, from what I've seen on the boards here. Although, I do wish that they would sort of do what they did in Season One, branch out the storylines through multiple episodes, unlike what they're doing in Season Three, which is to solve these storylines in one or two episodes. With that being said...

I actually liked this episode. It shows us what it would be like if the heroes and villains didn't have their powers again. I can't wait to see what's going to happen in the next episode.

I think it's cool that the Haitian has a brother and that he has a pretty cool ability. I'm just wondering if and when they'll ever tell us his real name.

Now Hiro's sort of on his way back to be where he's at. I just wish they could restore his memory. I don't like him believing that he's 10 years old.

All and all, good episode. Can't wait for the next one.
              sigpic

Comment

pretty good episode 7/10

stuff i liked

Spoiler:
                finally there teaching clair to defend herself

Spoiler:
                mohinder back to normal

Spoiler:
                the petrellis together

stuff i hated

Spoiler:
                nathan ending up in somdi's hands, maybe the future that peter/hiro/angela saw will come true?

Spoiler:
                sylar/elle i hate this ship *hides*

Spoiler:
                sylar's bad again

and im also not sure about

Spoiler:
                the hero's loosing there powers

Originally posted by the fifth man View Post
                i dont see elle surviving, but the eclipse might finish and the heroes/villains will regain there powers

with peter regaining his base power
                Last Movie Watched
                X-men - First Class

Last Video Game Played
                Life is Strange

Comment

folks, spoiler tags for this epsidoe are not needed in this thread

You just need to tag speculation for upcoming episodes and past episodes
                  Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by mr_kennedy View Post
                    pretty good episode 7/10

stuff i liked

Spoiler:
                    finally there teaching clair to defend herself

Spoiler:
                    mohinder back to normal

Spoiler:
                    the petrellis together

stuff i hated

Spoiler:
                    nathan ending up in somdi's hands, maybe the future that peter/hiro/angela saw will come true?

Spoiler:
                    sylar/elle i hate this ship *hides*

Spoiler:
                    sylar's bad again

and im also not sure about

Spoiler:
                    the hero's loosing there powers

i dont see elle surviving, but the eclipse might finish and the heroes/villains will regain there powers

with peter regaining his base power
                    man, you've posted in here before. did you just put the spoiler tag b/c you didn't have much to say....

Comment

This might have been a really good episode but I'll never know because I couldn't see a damn thing. All that running around in the dark, you'd think they'd never heard of electricity.

I wish Nathan would just live up to his pretty face and stop being such a damn idiot. Peter is so right. He's been spineless...not that he should be criticizing anyone.

Matt is consistently an idiot and this last time for no good reason. He has lived most of his years without being able to read minds and all of a sudden he needs to read her mind in order to talk to Daphne? And I say "talk" because this notion of "rescuing" her was ridiculous. She was in her own house! what was he rescuing her from?

The characters seem a little schizophrenic, particularly Elle and Sylar. I'm good, no I'm bad, I'm doing what's right, oh wait no I'm not? I wish they'd find a position and stick to it. I don't even know why they have ever done anything at anyone's behest. It would be so much simpler if they did only what they wanted and forget this ridiculous idea of doing what other people tell them. If that's the direction they're going in then...woohoo! I think Bonnie & Clyde could work for them.

Claire is still complaining and it's getting annoying. I'm glad Noah decided to teach her something if only to shut her up. I know she's young and silly but will one of these characters please tell her there is more than one way to save the world and it usually doesn't involve muscles. She has two fathers, two uncles and two mothers and none of them give any decent advice.

Now for my sadistic pleasures....watching Mohinder get beat down by one of the few characters whose behavior is consistent. Flint is an idiot acting like an idiot and one of the few who doesn't need powers to do the only thing he knows...bully.

"You know what would make a good story? Something about a clown who makes people happy, but inside he's real sad. Also, he has severe diarrhea." - Jack Handy

Comment

Why all the talk about the first eclipse triggering everybody's powers? The way Peter was talking in the beginning of the series he'd been having his dreams for awhile. He never said to Nathan, "Man, I had the weirdest dream last night that I've never had before." And when we saw what everyone was like 6 months before the season started Nathan at least had his power to fly. I don't remember if everyone did but it stands to reason that they did too even if they couldn't use them. I don't remember all of that episode and I don't feel like watching it again right now.
                        "Goodbye Eli Wallace, you're a good man."
                        - imlad, from http://www.readandfindout.com/

Comment

At this point, the backlash against “Heroes” has generated a backlash of its own. There’s no doubt that some of the criticism is due to a bandwagon effect. Too many people in the world (and on the internet) love to kick a man when he’s down, and Tim Kring has fallen right on his face with his recent comments and his decision to scapegoat his previous showrunners.

Unfortunately, it’s not all about tearing down a good thing. There are legitimate criticisms that are being dismissed amidst the noise. Apologists tend to ignore those criticisms anyway, citing the notion that some critics and disaffected fans just don’t pay attention, but that glosses over the many continuity errors that have cropped up this season.

This particular episode is just the beginning of whatever process is underway with the universal loss of abilities, so it’s hard to comment on what has yet to play out completely. A couple of things immediately come to mind. It’s a comic book staple to have some event wipe out powers across the board, at least for a little while, and it always manages to knock over the anthills a bit. The question is how long it will last, and how it will change the approaching war.

One big question does come up, however: why is the eclipse suddenly so important? The first season started with the hint that the eclipse had some greater meaning, but previous continuity has established that the various abilities came about long before the eclipse in the pilot. For that matter, Hiro appeared in Japan during an eclipse, and it had no discernable effect on his powers at the time.

This episode, however, states that the abilities emerged when the previous eclipse took place, and ties that to the apparent significance of the current crisis. Perhaps worse, the writers use that as plot justification in and of itself. They simply borrow the importance of the previous eclipse, even though its own significance is tenuous at best!

I’m also a bit annoyed with the characterization of Sylar in this episode. While Elle does seem like the type to focus on self-interest, Sylar’s character arc went from relatively straightforward to all over the map. Is Sylar being set up as the ultimate wild card? Or is he just shifting his desire for approval from Angela to Arthur to Elle? I’ve been frustrated with Sylar all season, and this episode is no exception.

If “9th Wonder” was the comic book written and drawn by Isaac in the first season, and Isaac is dead, who is generating new issues of the comic book now? That would seem to be a fairly obvious continuity error. It also doesn’t help that the writers took a page from “Lost” and pulled a John Locke with Daphne. So her ability allows her to overcome her disability. It’s an interesting twist for the character, but sadly, it felt derivative.

All that said, I did end up enjoying the majority of the episode. I loved the interplay between Noah and Claire, especially her decision to save his life. She may have thought that her ability would make it a low risk proposition, but it’s the thought that counts. I liked seeing the Petrelli brothers have it out for a while, though I think that they still need a good brawl to get over themselves.

A lot can be forgiven if the rest of this volume’s arc can deliver on its promises. The first season ended with a whimper, and the second season was only marginally better. It would be a very good sign if the third volume could round out the end of 2008 on a high note.

John Keegan
                          Reprinted with permission
                          Original source: c. Critical Myth, 2008
                          All rights reserved
                          Link: http://www.criticalmyth.com

Comment

Spoiler:

Seth Green - omgyes.
                            I emphatically second that statement.
                            Looks like Suresh is going to be making the half-baked formula again.
                            Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering-Yoda
                            The more bizzare a thing, the less mysterious it proves to be-Sherlock Holmes
                            I reject your reality and substitute my own-Adam Savage
                            A person is smart. People are stupid, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it-Agent Kay
                            That is the exploration that awaits you�not mapping stars and studying nebulae, but charting the unknown possibilities of existence-Q
                            Church: I learned a very valuable lesson in my travels, Tucker. No matter how bad things might seem...
                            Caboose: They could be worse?
                            Church: Nope, no matter how bad they seem, they can't be any better, and they can't be any worse, because that's the way things f***ing are, and you better get used to it Nancy. Quit-yer-b****ing.

If you smoke, you choke. If you choke, you're dead. 'Nuff said.

Comment

Originally posted by the fifth man View Post
                              Assuming HRG is primarily after Sylar. Seems waaaay to obvious.

Regardless, Elle better not get shot dead. I might die if I have to go without Kristin Bell in my weekly TV diet.

Comment

Working...
                              X