Teyla's Choice (no, not THAT one)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Teyla's Choice (no, not THAT one)

I'm amazing no one's created a thread for this yet. What do you think about Teyla's choice? No, not her choice between giving up Torren and not giving him up. If she'd given him up, I'd totally lost respect for her. Saving herself and her friends or just saving herself and him or just saving him at the cost of the entire galaxy (she knew what would happen from "The Last Man"). If she'd done it, I would've hated her forever, especially since she knows better (which she did).

No, the choice I'm talking about is the fact that at the end of the episode, she chose to forcibly end Michael's life. Now, I'm not saying what she did was wrong (although it probably was by legal standards; not extending a hand to help, not murder, kicking someone's hands off, murder (possibly)), I'm just saying that it was very dark and un-Teyla-y.

I'm glad they finally gave her stuff to do (even if she spent most of the episode just standing/sitting/lying still either unconscious or being terrified. She got to kick ass, she got character development and she got to commit an act of uncharacteristic darkness that I'm sure is going to haunt her for a while (at least I hope so).

I'm not saying she shouldn't have killed him. But that she chose to kill him herself instead of just waiting for him to fall down on his own (possible) or have John or someone else do it shows how much she hated him in that very instant.

And I'm not saying she shouldn't have killed him. But that she chose to kill him herself instead of just waiting for him to fall down on his own (possible) or have John or someone else do it shows how much she hated him in that very instant.

The point is not what we would've done. The point is that this is Teyla we're talking about. I liked that act of darkness coming from her. I just wanted to generate discussion over the fact that the writers chose to have Teyla be the one to end Michael's life, Teyla of all people, not John, not anyone else on Atlantis, but Teyla herself.
    Last edited by FallenAngelII; 08 November 2008, 06:24 AM.

um good ideas. BUT MICHeAL IS Finally dead!!!!!!

sigpic
    Sig made by squirrely1
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQw4w9WgXcQ
    *PM me if you clicked on that link*

Comment

I think we finally saw a little of that dark side Teyla we were promised last season, but which they couldn't really do due to Rachel's pregnancy.

imho it was the only thing to do. Michael is resourceful enough that if they had just locked him up, there would have been too much chance of him finding a way to escape in the future.

Comment

Originally posted by talyn2k1 View Post
        imho it was the only thing to do. Michael is resourceful enough that if they had just locked him up, there would have been too much chance of him finding a way to escape in the future.
        This is why we have trials.

And I'm not saying she shouldn't have killed him. But that she chose to kill him herself instead of just waiting for him to fall down on his own (possible) or have John or someone else do it shows how much she hated him in that very instant.

Comment

I look at it this way. If someone who had killed 100,000s of people was hanging there in front of you, would you have killed him or just let him hang there with the chance of climbing up and living in Atlantis's brig for the rest of his life.

If it was me, I'd just want him to die.

Fav Stargate Quotes

Spoiler:
          Thanks! It'll be a walk in the park ... a very scary park, filled with monsters who are trying to kill me.

I like the yellow ones.

Operation "This Will Most Likely End Badly" is a go.

OH CRAP!!!

You need someone dumber than you are.... You may have come to the right place.

Comment

Originally posted by jonos101 View Post
            I look at it this way. If someone who had killed 100,000s of people was hanging there in front of you, would you have killed him or just let him hang there with the chance of climbing up and living in Atlantis's brig for the rest of his life.

If it was me, I'd just want him to die.
            The point is not what we would've done. The point is that this is Teyla we're talking about. I liked that act of darkness coming from her. I just wanted to generate discussion over the fact that the writers chose to have Teyla be the one to end Michael's life, Teyla of all people.

Comment

I don't think she was in her right mind, that's how I rationalise it. I don't think Teyla would normally murder an unarmed 'man' like that, the fact that he threatened her child and is a bit of a genocidal maniac probably didn't help his chances either.

Comment

Michael kidnapped her people, experimented on some of them, including her mate, and murdered tens of thousands of others. Then, he abducted her and her child to be included in some grand bid for power over the Wraith. This was completely in line for Teyla. We saw some of The Queen in her.
                http://www.change.gov

The reason you should vote Republican in 2010.

Comment

It was a sad end for him for sure. He's been made into a monster by their experiments, both objectively and in his own eyes, and it's the only person who ever showed even some small measure of pity for him who finally takes his life.

If this scene had been done better, with Sheppard taken out of it for example and some well written dialog between the two, you could almost have made it look like a mercy killing. She can never forgive him for what he's done, and he knows that, he knows what he's become, but at least in killing him she can put an end to the torturous existence they forced on him.

Teyla was right to blame him for much of what he'd done, but at the same time it would have been nice to see her, or someone, acknowledge some responsability in what they did to him. The SGA expedition is hardly blameless and innocent in regard to what they turned him into, yet they've never expressed a morsel of regret for anything other than failing to kill him sooner.

There's an interesting philosophical point to be mused on as well, that it's not until they made him half human that he truely became a monster.

Comment

There are some things mothers (who love their child/children) would do that normally single people won't do. However, she knows that everybody on the base is doing everything they can not to let Atlantis get blown up by Michael or let him take her or her baby away without a fight.

Besides Michael was gonna blow up Atlantis regardless whether Teyla gives the baby to himor not, if she does and she gets killed, no one is gonna stop him but, since we also find out that Michael has the baby's DNA anyway, did it really matter what she chose? Michael still planned to destroy Atlantis.

So after all the threatening that Michael has done too, Teyla did the right thing by extinguishing this threat that is Michael.
                    Last edited by JackHarkness_Hot; 08 November 2008, 04:59 AM.

Comment

I don't think she had a choice...I think as long as Michael lives her kid will never be safe...I liked seeing another side of Teyla...A darker side of her.....She would do anything to protect her child, even kill!
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Ouroboros View Post
                        It was a sad end for him for sure. He's been made into a monster by their experiments, both objectively and in his own eyes, and it's the only person who ever showed even some small measure of pity for him who finally takes his life.

If this scene had been done better, with Sheppard taken out of it for example and some well written dialog between the two, you could almost have made it look like a mercy killing. She can never forgive him for what he's done, and he knows that, he knows what he's become, but at least in killing him she can put an end to the torturous existence they forced on him.

Teyla was right to blame him for much of what he'd done, but at the same time it would have been nice to see her, or someone, acknowledge some responsability in what they did to him. The SGA expedition is hardly blameless and innocent in regard to what they turned him into, yet they've never expressed a morsel of regret for anything other than failing to kill him sooner.

There's an interesting philosophical point to be mused on as well, that it's not until they made him half human that he truely became a monster.
                        Good points and I agree. I think it was the right choice to have Teyla finally put an end to Michael (rather than Ronan as some people had suggested), but I would have liked some dialogue exchange between them at the very end to make her choice even more difficult. IMO, as soon as she handed over her baby and went looking for him, I knew she was going to kill Michael. It would have been interesting if he had said something like, "guess what, your child is really mine" and see if she really would have gone through with it, or she would had had a moral dilemna of her own at that point.
                        If you're not going to learn from your mistakes, don't make any!

Comment

I was wondering about it in the beginning. But remember how often he was able to escape and I think Teyla knew he would always come back for her and especially her son. All that fear, hate and anxiety would probably move every mother to what she did. First, it felt out of character, but it wasn't, she's always been a fighter, she's killed before, now she's a mother defending her cub by any means necessary.

Comment

I think Atlantis did a very bad thing. They made Michael. They let him switch between Wraith and human existence several times and tried to nuke him. They know well they are wrong, otherwise they would have told Todd they made him. As for Teyla, we have seen her murder someone who was defenseless in Missing. Also she told Ronon when he killed Kell (Trinity) that she might had done the same in his place. It wasn't really surprising she killed him. I think Atlantis is totally to blame for it and they should have killed him, but helped him. (This time without a retrovirus).

Comment

It's Teyla's darkside resurfacing again, remember in The Queen when she sent all those darts to attack the other hive, knowing they would likely be destroyed.

The only problem is, because she hardly gets any development, we barely see this side of her.
                              Jedi_Master_Bra'tac, previously known as wako!

Comment

Working...
                              X