This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ShadowMaat
    So... the matter passing through the event horizon is stored temporarily in the buffer until the object is completely inside, then the whole sh-bang is transmitted to the other gate, where the matter is slowly gathered until it's all there and then out pops whoever.

Or maybe as soon as something passes the event horizon it's broken down and transmitted to the buffer of the OTHER gate, and so forth.

Maybe part of Kawalsky's head was still inside the buffer (of either gate) until the next activation. Glad nobody knew about THAT back then. Kind of an ick thought, there, Jake.
    Yeah, that's really the only way it could work.

It couldn't possibly send just your hand through, because your hand would then die, disconnected from the rest of your body.

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat
      So... the matter passing through the event horizon is stored temporarily in the buffer until the object is completely inside, then the whole sh-bang is transmitted to the other gate, where the matter is slowly gathered until it's all there and then out pops whoever.

Or maybe as soon as something passes the event horizon it's broken down and transmitted to the buffer of the OTHER gate, and so forth.

Maybe part of Kawalsky's head was still inside the buffer (of either gate) until the next activation. Glad nobody knew about THAT back then. Kind of an ick thought, there, Jake.
      Err Kowalsky still has ihs entire head when the gate was shut down. I watched "the enemy within" recently and he still has a complete head at the end of it.
      sigpic
      Banner By JME2

Comment

sorry crazedwrait but a bit of kawalski's head does go missing in enemy within its why the symbiote falls out!
        Don't put jam on a magnet

my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle

Comment

Originally posted by Crazedwraith
          Err Kowalsky still has ihs entire head when the gate was shut down. I watched "the enemy within" recently and he still has a complete head at the end of it.
          The back of his head is still in the event horizon when they turn the gate off, and then you see the big hole in the back of his head as well (Unless the station you're watching has edited it out for being too violent )

Comment

Things only seem to travel through the gate when it completely enters the wormhole, only nit with this is Teal'c's ninja rope trick.

dumbed down theory:
            Imagine the wormhole like a zero friction vacuum tunnel (with wierd shimmering water forcefields on them).
            Get a ninja rope gun thingy with a long enough rope and fire it through - It will come out the other side
            Putt a golfball into the gate - zero friction, it keeps going and come out the other side
            Person - can stick head in have a look around, play with the "water" but not travel through. Step in - one foot is still on the ramp, friction stops person from going through. Step though - zero friction, you zip through the tunnel till you come out the other side

mess with times scales, conveniently miss out the one-way travel and stuff and this makes sense when applied to the event horizon thing.. i think...

Comment

Originally posted by Teal'c
              The back of his head is still in the event horizon when they turn the gate off, and then you see the big hole in the back of his head as well (Unless the station you're watching has edited it out for being too violent )
              I was watching it on Dvds. I thought the sybiote came out his ear. Looks like i'll have to watch it again, Sucg a hard task
              sigpic
              Banner By JME2

Comment

It is my understanding that the event horizon you see is not the actual event horizon but a visual representation of an event horizon created by the gate. Once you step through the event horizon you are not actually transported through the wormhole but the gate begins to break down the matter and stores it (probably recreating it if you were to pull your am back out). Once you have fully moved through it (which the stargate can detect probably because it can tell that there is no longer anything trying to pass through it as stated in the watergate episode, further more it can probably distinguish objects from each other by either multiple sources of pressure aggainst it, a break in time between sources or a break in pressure in the same place where two things have gone in behind each other). Anyway once each individual "thing" has moved through it probably then transmits the information about the thing through to the other stargate which then recreates the matter at the other side.

In the episode where tilk fires the rope through it would mean it would not have been transmitted through the wormhole till walked through holding the gun. I do wonder however wether the gate could detect the time difference in the object moving through the gate and match it when recreating the object at the same time so when tilk reached the other side the rope thing would have been materialised and sent through at the same velocity at what it entered the stargate would then pause to match the time that tilk took to enter the gate and then recreate him as well, this seems the only way it could work.

As for the other guys head my theory would ahev to continue to deduce that there are two buffers one for outgoing and another for incoming, on the event of a new wormhole being created the outgoing buffer would be cleared so the guys head would never have rematerialized. The reason it couldn't ahve been sent to the other gate was because that the entire object had never passed through Earths stargate, also I doubt if an emergency shutdown was initiated (power cut) the gate would be able to transmit the information.

Now what is hard to explain is oneils hand. In theory he was in no danger as he never passed completly through so he was never sent to the other worm gate which would have been in use and so he would never have been rematerialiszed (explaining how you would die if you were to pass though a activae gate). But the bit that's hard to explain is how could blood move into the wormhole (simple enough) but then move back out. It would mean the stargate would have to realise how blood moved round the hand so to know to move it out of the buffer agian back into the body. Maybe it creates a vitual relaity replica based on the data it's currently sotirn gin the out going buffer so it can tell what should be removed feorm the buffer and rematerialized.

So to sumarize as you move through a gate you are broken down into an outgoing buffer which you are able to move back out of until such a time where it is not possible to move yourself back out of (where are are supposedly pulled through by the gate as the submarine did in watergate) or when you have competly passed through. At which point the part of the buffer containtg you is transmitted to the other stargate where it recreates the matter in the same time that it enetered the gate.

The only thing I don't understand is what happens to the matter that hits the iris when it can't fully rematerialize. I through that if that were to happen the mater would give out a tremendous ammount of energy. I can't see how it can just "disappear".

Sorry if I made a few typos i'm quite tired and am typing fast.

Comment

Working...
                X