Asgard Tech vs. Ancient Tech

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Asgard Tech vs. Ancient Tech

Im sure this has come up before, I just have to ask it one more time.

Are we forgetting that while the Ancients decided to Ascend some 10,000 years ago, the then Technologically advanced Asgard continued their research for the duration of that time. Why do we assume that Ancient Tech is still more advanced than Asgard Tech? Just because Atlantis Shields are so strong does not mean that the Asgard cannot create something as powerful with equal amount of power. Just a thought.

The reason I bring this up is time and time again I hear Ancient tech is much more sophisticated. The Ori I can understand having built their ships with the knowledge of ascended beings, but the Ancients dont share and have been gone for 10,000 years.

Everyones thoughts again, please?
    "I didnt see you in church last sunday, were you there?"
    "Yes, I was there."
    "Oi, I didn't see you, I was juss worry apout you"
    "Is dat your chob?! You sit and coun da beople in the churg and not in da churg"
    "No I was chus wondring"
    "Maybe if I win the Lotto Ill make heaps of money and puy you a life"

The Ancients have had advanced technology for millions of years, much longer than the Asgard have even existed. However, I think it's wrong to say that the Ancients are advanced in every way to the Asgard. The Asgard probably have certain technologies that are more advanced than the Ancients while the Ancients have certain technologies that are more advanced than the Asgard.

Comment

though the asgard clearly excell the ancients at levels, the ancients have a wide spectrum of technology.

Comment

I think the guys who have been around for 50 000 000+ years are going to have better technology than the guys who have been around for a mere 100 000. The Ancients have a massive amount of experience compared to the Asgard, and they have simply had more time to discover things and improve their technology.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Gate-builder View Post
          I think the guys who have been around for 50 000 000+ years are going to have better technology than the guys who have been around for a mere 100 000. The Ancients have a massive amount of experience compared to the Asgard, and they have simply had more time to discover things and improve their technology.
          Humanity on Earth has had what, 4 or 5 thousand years as a civilization? And yet in the Stargate Universe we are the technologically superior force in two galaxies. Why? Because we got our knowledge from others.

If the Ancients were the first to have to invent their technologies, then encountered the Asgard and formed an Alliance with them, it's not hard to believe that they shared this knowledge with the Asgard. And even if they hadn't, after the demise of the Ancients the Asgard would have been able to study whatever they had left behind. It was probably a combination of the two.

Just like how now we have the entire knowledge of the Asgard, a 100,000 year old civilization. The knowledge that they had to work to understand for all of those years was simply handed to us. Who is to say that they couldn't have had the same treatment? Or at least gleaned the basics off of the Ancients?

Besides, Asgard tech has been shown to be at least on par to Ancient tech. The beam weapons can knock down an Aurora in a few shots, their holographic technology appears similar, if not a little inferior to those seen in Atlantis, we have no evidence thus far of Ancient beaming technology that operates on the level of complexity that the Asgard beaming technology does (that is, beaming anything anywhere like the Asgard sensors allow us to), and the matter converters appear identical.

So even if the Ancients invented them, the Asgard could have easily ripped it off. If the Asgard weren't given the technology behind the matter converter, they obviously either duplicated it or simply took the knowledge at a later time, since it appears to have been identical to the one Daniel used in Season 9 or 10.

So basically what I'm saying is if the Asgard didn't have access to Ancient technology when they were their allies, which is unlikely, they would have probably at least have been able to get bits of it, they could have obtained most of it after the Ancients left.

So if they had Ancient shields at least 10,000 years ago, then had all of that time to work on them and improve them, they most certainly would have superior shields.

So saying that since the Ancients were around for 50,000,000 years and the Asgard only 100,000 doesn't mean that Asgard tech can't be as capable, because the Asgard could have easily been handed knowledge or obtained it from the Ancients through other means, just as we did.

Imagine what the Stargate Universe's Earth would be pumping out in 10,000 years with the knowledge that we have been given now. It would certainly be more advanced than the tech that we have encountered thus far (save for the Stargates maybe), and yet we would only be a 15,000 year old race.

So I think that Asgard tech is at least on par with Ancient tech, and when it comes to military applications, surpasses it. Since I don't think drones can penetrate our shields (BAMSR), and beam weapons take down Aurora class ships in a few hits.

Obviously the Ancients mastered shields on Atlantis though. I doubt the Asgard have anything that tops that, nor a power source as powerful as a ZPM.
          Last edited by Finger13; 29 October 2008, 05:47 AM.

Comment

I think both are incredibly strong,but I bet on Ancient Tech...

Comment

Ancient military tech is at least as good as Asgard military tech. A puddle jumper with drones is a serious threat to enemy capital ships, I doubt you could fit a ship like a PJ with Asgard beam weapons. The beam weapons are very powerful but drones are as good in my opinion as they can track targets etc...although they need ammunition. We've seen our upgraded 304's get taken to town by 3 Hive ships, yet an Ancient satellite can confidently take down 3 Hive ships according to Mckay. Ancient military tech is easily as good as Asgard military tech, we just haven't seen it applied to its full potential.
              Robert Jastrow (self-proclaimed agnostic): "For the scientist who has lived by his faith in the power of reason, the story ends like a bad dream. He has scaled the mountains of ignorance; he is about to conquer the highest peak; as he pulls himself over the final rock, he is greeted by a band of theologians who have been sitting there for centuries."

Comment

yet its like saying put a missile on a fighter or a railgun. missile has independant powersource. therefore does not infringe on the fighter's powersource. putting asgard beams on a jumper would be possible, but dont forget to plug in the ZPM aswell. unless you want to sit with your face against the windscreen otherwise the powersource wont fit.

Comment

Originally posted by thekillman View Post
                  yet its like saying put a missile on a fighter or a railgun. missile has independant powersource. therefore does not infringe on the fighter's powersource. putting asgard beams on a jumper would be possible, but dont forget to plug in the ZPM aswell. unless you want to sit with your face against the windscreen otherwise the powersource wont fit.
                  Drones draw their power from the power source of whats powering them. Its possible that with a ZPM behind them drones would be far more dangerous.
                  Robert Jastrow (self-proclaimed agnostic): "For the scientist who has lived by his faith in the power of reason, the story ends like a bad dream. He has scaled the mountains of ignorance; he is about to conquer the highest peak; as he pulls himself over the final rock, he is greeted by a band of theologians who have been sitting there for centuries."

Comment

MGM shows it has its own powersource. ZPM+ dronechair allows em to pass through shields and allows excellent control

Comment

Originally posted by thekillman View Post
                      MGM shows it has its own powersource. ZPM+ dronechair allows em to pass through shields and allows excellent control
                      I think MGM shows that the Drones stores the power from the power source of what fires them. Can't find the image to check though.

Comment

Originally posted by Buba uognarf View Post
                        Drones draw their power from the power source of whats powering them. Its possible that with a ZPM behind them drones would be far more dangerous.
                        I wonder how dangerous the drones would be if it was an actual Ancient in the control chair. Although O'Niell and Sheppard control them pretty well an actual ancient with more than just a trace of the ATA gene could probably control them all individually!

Comment

Originally posted by Mclean View Post
                          I wonder how dangerous the drones would be if it was an actual Ancient in the control chair. Although O'Niell and Sheppard control them pretty well an actual ancient with more than just a trace of the ATA gene could probably control them all individually!
                          Thats a very good point. An actual Ancient with all the mental abilities could make drones far more devastating.

Comment

Originally posted by Mclean View Post
                            Originally posted by Buba uognarf View Post
                            Thats a very good point. An actual Ancient with all the mental abilities could make drones far more devastating.
                            Shepperd did quite well in BAMSR. When he is on the Aurora and fires the drones, the Asurans intercept and the drones collide in midair, which would be like shooting a bullet with a bullet.

Actually, come to think of it, that would be the Asurans blowing up Shepperd's drones... Wouldn't it?

If a robot as clumsy as the Asurans (come on, they were idiots who couldn't shoot worth a damn lol) can pilot them that well, I'd say that we could too.

But yeah, an Ancient could probably perform complicated surgery with a drone lol.

We've never really seen a situation where we've engaged more than one target with drones, other than O'Neill of course, who wasted all of our drones unnecessarily. The only other battle where Shepperd fired multiple drones was Shepperd in The Siege, correct? And they didn't really show him piloting too many drones, it only showed him chasing one or two around for a bit.

Comment

I want to see another big battle like Lost City and have Atlantis forced to fire a whole lot of drones to take out a Wraith fleet or something. While seeing a few drones is always cool, seeing a whole like Lost City is far better!
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X