Ending?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ending?

What was with the ending? Smoking Cigars and drinking? I thought that was a bit out of character for both of them...

Not especially. Smoking cigerettes? Maybe.

But a cigar (rightly or wrongly) has long been viewed as something to be smoked in celebration. Militaries, at least the British and American militaries are particularly fond of them. In the Royal Air Force it was traditional to smoke a cigar after a formal dinner whilst heckling "Mr. Vice" (till the smoking ban), and of course, the American forces love of cigars is equally famous. Consequently, though it surprised me, it comes as no major shock that Sheppard enjoys a cigar every now and then. As for Woolsey, considering the kind of person he is, someone who loves the "finer things in life", lives in suits, loves a good stiff drink, then I am not at all surprised that he enjoys cigars.

The alcohol? Well, let's recall Rising, Weir and Sheppard enjoyed a bottle of champagne, and I think the fact that Woolsey's drink is a Whiskey or Brandy is much more telling of his character, just as Jack O'Neill drinking a beer is telling of his.
    Last edited by Flyboy; 26 October 2008, 09:37 AM.

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

'Boojah!' for drugs and alcohol brought into SGA!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/carpentersam/
      MY ARTWORK -- ALL SIGNATURES BY HERMIIOD

Comment

Just think Alan Shore and Denny Crane after a good court case
        The death of one man is a tragedy, the death of millions is a statistic - Stalin
        The viewpoint of one person is not the viewpoint of all - ShadowMaat
        Dulce et Decorum est pro patria mori - Horace
        All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing - Edmund Burke
        Wise men talk because they have something to say, fools talk because they have to say something - Plato
        An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind - Gandhi
        Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake - Napoleon

Comment

Originally posted by Hermiiod View Post
          'Boojah!' for drugs and alcohol brought into SGA!
          Alcohol is a drug also.

Comment

one or another bottle in a time is not unhealthy
            Last edited by Celesto; 26 October 2008, 02:07 PM. Reason: forgot the emoticon ;)
            Spoiler:
            Mission report. Michael invaded Atlantis, tried to blow it up. We stopped him. End of report.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Flying Officer Bennett View Post
              Not especially. Smoking cigerettes? Maybe.

But a cigar (rightly or wrongly) has long been viewed as something to be smoked in celebration. Militaries, at least the British and American militaries are particularly fond of them. In the Royal Air Force it was traditional to smoke a cigar after a formal dinner whilst heckling "Mr. Vice" (till the smoking ban), and of course, the American forces love of cigars is equally famous. Consequently, though it surprised me, it comes as no major shock that Sheppard enjoys a cigar every now and then. As for Woolsey, considering the kind of person he is, someone who loves the "finer things in life", lives in suits, loves a good stiff drink, then I am not at all surprised that he enjoys cigars.

The alcohol? Well, let's recall Rising, Weir and Sheppard enjoyed a bottle of champagne, and I think the fact that Woolsey's drink is a Whiskey or Brandy is much more telling of his character, just as Jack O'Neill drinking a beer is telling of his.
              don't forget his omelet that has his "secret ingredient"

KEEP IT CLEAN
              Alternate BAMSR:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNCunG0llLk
              Halo Alpha Centauri trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eb5po1zQE1k

Comment

I felt the ending was great, nice to see woolsey dressed to the max!
                "You're born, you live and you die. There are no do-overs, no second chances to make things right if you frak 'em up the first time. Not in this life anyway. Like I said, you make your choices and you live with them. And in end you are those choices." --Kendra Shaw

Comment

Originally posted by Cronus View Post
                  Just think Alan Shore and Denny Crane after a good court case
                  Haha! My dad said exactly the same thing.

Comment

I personally found it rather odd that Sheppard and Woolsey were celebrating, since they didn't exactly win the 'trial', they bought off a judge.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Flying Officer Bennett View Post
                      Jack 6 pack
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by EvenstarSRV View Post
                        I personally found it rather odd that Sheppard and Woolsey were celebrating, since they didn't exactly win the 'trial', they bought off a judge.
                        I didn't get it as totally "WooHoo! We Won!" celebrating, just positively acknowledging the Team didn't get banished and there's a chance for Atlantis to have a role in the Coalition.

"I aim to misbehave." - Capt. Mal Reynolds

"Alien locale is no excuse for lack of pineapples." - DP

WALLACE: And if I don't?
                        O'NEILL: We'll beam you up to our spaceship.

Comment

Originally posted by Jill_Ion View Post
                          I didn't get it as totally "WooHoo! We Won!" celebrating, just positively acknowledging the Team didn't get banished and there's a chance for Atlantis to have a role in the Coalition.
                          I agree they should have been happy they got out of the whole thing, but Woolsey didn't seem to thrilled about having to participate in the Coalition.

I guess I just felt that Sheppard and Woolsey seemed too content and unfazed by what was brought up in the 'trial'. This being the last season, I'm looking to see a bit more reflection by the characters, especially after an episode where so many of their past mistakes or missteps were brought up.

I would have liked to see Sheppard and Woolsey really discuss the impact Atlantis has had on the Pegasus galaxy, good and bad. It could have even been a chance for Sheppard to reference his experience from The Last Man, where so much did go wrong in part because Atlantis scaled back its operations.

sigpic

Comment

I'm very impressionable and now that I've saw this I'm gonna start drinking and smoking.
                            Jedi_Master_Bra'tac, previously known as wako!

Comment

Originally posted by Slyke View Post
                              What was with the ending? Smoking Cigars and drinking? I thought that was a bit out of character for both of them...
                              have you ever seen law and order? at the end of each trial the procescutors would usually go to a bar to either celebrate or just to think abouit the verdict.

KEEP IT CLEAN
                              Alternate BAMSR:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNCunG0llLk
                              Halo Alpha Centauri trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eb5po1zQE1k

Comment

Working...
                              X