Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jack_Bauer View Post
    Frasier?
    Yes, and then she was promptly forgotten after the episode of her death until season 9 when they needed a reason for Sam's absence in the first five episodes so said Cassie (Frasier's daughter who was also promptly forgotten) needed Sam.

Comment

Originally posted by SGLAB View Post
      Yes, and then she was promptly forgotten after the episode of her death until season 9 when they needed a reason for Sam's absence in the first five episodes so said Cassie (Frasier's daughter who was also promptly forgotten) needed Sam.
      Dedicating a solid two-parter to her death was sufficient. Do you want a series of depression? No. But the realism was shown quite well.
      Meh.

Comment

Kill Bill
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Lythisrose View Post
          Kill Bill
          Dr. Lee? Why? His not a regular character and his death would probably be funny and accepted by fans.
          Meh.

Comment

Dr. Lee? Why? His not a regular character and his death would probably be funny and accepted by fans.
            Spoiler:

Oh, I'd never want to kill Dr Lee....
            Last edited by Lythisrose; 22 October 2008, 09:43 PM.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by maxbo View Post
              I wouldn't want to see more characters die either, especially when the only characters that are killed off are those that the writers no longer want to write for.
              Well, if that's the case, Teyla must be next in line.

One of my favorite shows got rid of my favorite character not long ago, and although I was sad to see her go, I LOVED the way they did it. Plus the fact it impacted the next couple of seasons. Imagine that! We're lucky if it impacts the next episode with SGA.

So I would have to say don't kill any more characters on SGA. It's pointless.
              sigpic
              sig by SueKay

My Team:

Comment

Originally posted by Irish Eyes View Post
                Well, if that's the case, Teyla must be next in line.

One of my favorite shows got rid of my favorite character not long ago, and although I was sad to see her go, I LOVED the way they did it. Plus the fact it impacted the next couple of seasons. Imagine that! We're lucky if it impacts the next episode with SGA.

So I would have to say don't kill any more characters on SGA. It's pointless.
                If you don't mind me asking... what show was that?
                Meh.

Comment

Frasier?
                  I forgot to list her, maybe because....

Originally posted by SGLAB View Post

exactly!

MASH (the series) had a significant cast turn over as well. When tptb killed henry blake the show had number of eps where the cast had to grieve for henry and adjust to colonel potter. It was a smooth, believable transaction.

Stargate skirts the issue by simply never bringing it up again till the script calls for it. Then simply state X amount of time had passed. I hated what they did to weir. No closure, no grieving, at least beckett got a funeral. Weir got absolutely nothing! Just a few scenes where teyla pack her things and Sheppard and talking to Rodney. Where Rodney compared it to beckett.

Grieving and adjusting takes time and when a character dies it's just like having a real person dying to many fans. I know initially it sounds like a stretch but in reality people grow attached to characters the same way you grow attached to idols and celebrities. When the character is killed off and no longer spoke of and heard from again in the series, fans actually do go through a grieving processes. Not as serve as the grieving processes for losing a family member of friend but still an actually grieving process.

Denial--the fan can't believe their fav character was killed off.
                  Anger--for killing off their fav character
                  sadness--become disheartened by the show (the most crucial time for the fan could lose interest in the show)
                  finally acceptance--the end result will be either the fan accepts the loss and moves on either with the show or without the show.

TPTB in stargate FAIL to recognize this process not only in their fandom but also in their characters that should ALSO go through it. Showing the affect of the death and transition to a new character helps with the healing processes for not only the characters of the show but the fans as well.

Never kill off a character without addressing the healing process or your work will be degraded to nothing more than shock and awe values that are superficial only.
                  Grammar, Logic, Rhetoric.

Comment

The Wraith became funny after the second season for me. They aren't really threat now! Oh maybe Todd lately, but now the situation with true enemy became hopeless -in this funny meanings. I respected the Wraith but what they do now with them is real comedy = everything!

I doubt that killing someone important will improve *that* bad situation, and bring back the reputation Wraith used to have...
                    sigpic
                    sig thanks to Luci

Comment

Working...
                    X