• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dying of the Light (306)

Visit the Episode GuideHEROES SEASON THREE
    DYING OF THE LIGHT
    EPISODE NUMBER - 306

Hiro heads to Africa on a mission to win favor with the "villains" of Pineheart, while Daphne is sent to bring Matt Parkman into the fold -- not knowing that he is looking for her, too. Claire and her mother try to save Meredith from the puppet master Doyla, and Sylar seeks help from Peter.

VISIT THE EPISODE GUIDE >
    Last edited by GateWorld; 01 May 2015, 09:55 PM.

I thought tonight's episode was a very good one. Things are starting to really come together now.
    sigpic
    MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
    "...phu...ah..."
    "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
    Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

Not bad. Wasn't dragging or too fast, and yeah things are settling into place. Some things I noticed:

Spoiler:
      I didn't like the rehash of Issac. The precog roll was already done and now peter's mother is one too? I don't like time paradox or causality. It's the whole thing... "If you immediately know the candlelight is fire, then how did you end up in a fracking coma!"

Peter overwhelming syler? With all the powers between both of them that was a pretty lame fight, I'd even call it an epic fail. Syler can heal like Claire and she got up from being shot in the chest in a few seconds. How did Peter have time to drag him to an room? It would have been nice if Sylar had used some of the new powers he had stolen like the super sonic scream ability, something peter didn't have.

The ending wasn't very believable. If I had walked in on my dead father I would have been dumbstruck yes, but I also would have been wanting to get the heck out of there and get some answers. I would not want to give anyone in that room a hug!

Also you would think section 5 would be insulated from EM signals or anything psychics use to communicate, like magneto in x-men. I don't know if they are dumbing down section 5 to make the plot work or what but I thought it was kind of lame.

I might be overly picky, but I think the show has done well enough that I can expect a certain standard.

Comment

pretty good episode

the good

claire bennett kicked ass in this episode
        sylar/peter fight
        hiro & ando

the bad

adam munro is dead
        peter has no powers
        arther petrelli
        sylar/peter fight (could have been better)
        mohinder
        Last Movie Watched
        X-men - First Class

Last Video Game Played
        Life is Strange

Comment

So at first I thought that Arthur Petrelli's powers were to dissolve people, or suck their life-force, and that's why Adam died. However, after he drained Peter I now think he simply absorbed Adam's power (healin/immortality), and Adam turned to dust because he was so old.
          All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing-Edmund Burke

The question which once haunted my being has been answered. The future is not fixed, and my choices are my own... and yet, how ironic! For I now find, I have no choice at all! I am warrior... let the battle be joined.-Dinobot-Code of Hero

Don't blame me, I voted Cthulhu

Comment

Originally posted by mr_kennedy View Post
            pretty good episode

the good

claire bennett kicked ass in this episode
            sylar/peter fight
            hiro & ando

the bad

adam munro is dead
            peter has no powers
            arther petrelli
            sylar/peter fight (could have been better)
            mohinder
            Adam's death was certainly interesting. I wasn't expecting him to die. I don't really get why they felt the need to make Arthurdamn immortal. Adam's blood would have healed him. Also, why didn't Hiro just go back to grab him before the fear guy gets Adam. Thats the problem with time travel.

The good thing about the loss of Peter's power is that he no longer has Sylar's power. On the very bad side if Arthur absorbs powers then he is now an empath like Peter and is unbeatable by anything except for a well placed sniper round. I hope Sylar kills him and takes his power.

Yea, I actually like Sylar now. I'm buying into the need to understand bs. grr.

I still do not see why that'd make Peter want to cut open your head. He can read minds and all..

I liked Claire in this episode too. I hope they do not make her go all evil b/c she doesn't like her dad. She has another one....

Comment

Overall, I liked the episode. Peter is finally using Claude's power again, how will Arthur use it though? I like how Claire went awesome on the creepy puppet guy. I think the Sylar/Peter fight could of been better, but I'm hoping for a good one towards the end of the season. The one thing I didn't like was how Adam died. And why did Peter give his dad a hug? Why would you give any of those guys a hug? And why wasn't he in more shock that dad was alive, I think Adam was more convincing there.
              http://www.imagehosting.com/out.php/..._DanielSig.jpg

Comment

So do you think the whole point of Peter going to the future to get Sylar's power was so his father would inadvertantly steal it (assuming he stole all the powers, I don't see why he wouldn't) and is now stuck with it, which may play a factor into beating him?

Comment

Originally posted by Jonzey View Post
                  So do you think the whole point of Peter going to the future to get Sylar's power was so his father would inadvertantly steal it (assuming he stole all the powers, I don't see why he wouldn't) and is now stuck with it, which may play a factor into beating him?
                  by having him try to find a solution to 1/3?

Comment

Very good episode. The puppet master guy was creepy and Claire kicked ass.
                    I'm surprised they killed Adam off(why bother bringing him back) and relieved that Hiro didn't kill Ando.
                    Peter's father is creepy too.
                    Mohinder is a loser and I'm sick of him!

Comment

This show is becoming increasingly difficult to review, not because of its complexity, but because of its chaotic inability to settle into meaningful plot threads. The story is propelling along towards something, as this complication-laden episode attests, but it’s hard to know what the endgame might be, beyond setting up yet another powerful villain from the days of the Twelve.

Arthur Petrelli may be the worst of them all at this point, because he has the ability to steal abilities (just like his sons Peter and Gabriel), but the process takes them from the original “owner”. This is an important distinction, especially for Adam, as it meant instant death. It also means that Arthur has immortality from Adam, a hunger for power from Sylar (via Peter), and a wide array of offensive and defensive powers from Peter. In short, Arthur is the kind of villain that Sylar was supposed to be by the end of the first season, only far more powerful.

Making him this powerful by the middle of the third volume should give the writers the opportunity to take the season in a logical direction. Arthur has been assembling those with abilities he wants or can utilize in other respects, but despite Angela’s best and equally questionable efforts, there’s no assembled team ready to counter Arthur at the moment. So for a little while, at least, Arthur will have his way.

Ironically, I think Sylar is going to be the focal point of the resistance against Arthur (in a nice bit of generational strife, harkening back to the second season). I think he’ll do it in the name of his mother, the only person who treated him as someone special. And in turn, he will make himself into something special, perhaps explaining the process how he could overcome the negative aspects of his ability. If the writers want to make something of this mess they’ve made, that’s the most direct way to accomplish it.

The trick is going to be making sense of the journeys for nearly every other character. In particular, Hiro’s journey is becoming a major annoyance. The second season supposedly advanced Hiro’s character out of his awkward phase into something more assured. This season, he’s once again the bumbling idealistic fool. Hiro is one of the most powerful of the metahumans when given the chance to express his ability properly, so why reduce him to a laughing stock?

I was relatively happy with the direction they took with Claire in the previous episode, but I’m not so sure what this episode was supposed to accomplish. Was this experience meant to toughen Claire by showing her what kind of animals have abilities, thus increasing her already potent fear of being victimized again? If so, then the writers didn’t quite sell it in that fashion. Instead, it felt like a way to pad the episode.

The time spent on Denise and Matt’s “first” meeting was a little better, because it began to explore some of the divisions growing among the metahumans and Denise’s faltering faith in the rightness of her actions. Similarly, it was great to see Peter and Sylar have a little family spat while they still could. But I have no idea what Mohinder’s role in all of this will be, or why Nathan and Tracy had to wind up in his clutches.

I can speculate that Mohinder’s ongoing work to find a cure to remove abilities will eventually succeed, despite Peter’s trip into the future, and the result will be a weapon that could be used to defeat Arthur Petrelli at the end of the “Villains” arc. Perhaps that’s why the next arc is called “Fugitives”; one would imagine that Arthur’s minions would run for the hills and need to be apprehended.

The problem with “Heroes” is the same as it’s been since the first season finale: wasted potential. The first season had its issues, but it still made a strong case for future growth. The first season finale was a huge letdown, and the show has struggled to find itself since that defining moment. There are some great ideas and good stories here, but I don’t think these writers are still capable of making them work.

John Keegan
                      Reprinted with permission
                      Original source: c. Critical Myth, 2008
                      All rights reserved
                      Link: http://www.criticalmyth.com

Comment

Originally posted by Phenix View Post
                        Adam's death was certainly interesting. I wasn't expecting him to die. I don't really get why they felt the need to make Arthurdamn immortal. Adam's blood would have healed him. Also, why didn't Hiro just go back to grab him before the fear guy gets Adam. Thats the problem with time travel.
                        the way he died sorta reminded of star trek nemises the romulan senate scene
                        Last Movie Watched
                        X-men - First Class

Last Video Game Played
                        Life is Strange

Comment

Arthur Petrelli is now essentially invulnerable. The only person who could have countered him effectively was Peter, but now that he's powerless, it's up to Sylar (who has far less powers at his disposal). Also, I don't think Mr. Petrelli will have the "hunger" issue, as he is far older and more experienced with his abilities than either of his sons.
                          Click the banner or episode links to visit the virtual continuations of Stargate!
                          Previous Episode: 11x03 "Shore Leave" | Previous Episode: 6x04 "Nightfall" | Now Airing: 3x06 "Eldest"

Comment

Originally posted by s09119 View Post
                            Arthur Petrelli is now essentially invulnerable. The only person who could have countered him effectively was Peter, but now that he's powerless, it's up to Sylar (who has far less powers at his disposal). Also, I don't think Mr. Petrelli will have the "hunger" issue, as he is far older and more experienced with his abilities than either of his sons.
                            I think he will have the hunger. The need to cut their heads open is not needed by him or Peter. I think the writers made a mistake showing Peter cutting into brains. It would have been much better if he used Parkman's ability to have them tell him what he needs. Peter's use of Parkman's ability would have also pushed the plot forward quicker and perhaps created a tighter storyline. Heroe's lives on the gotcha moment.

Of course the real question is how does Peter get his powers back? Does Peter get them back from Papa Petrelli.

Comment

"Arthur Petrelli is now essentially invulnerable."
                              It's been said in a number of threads that Peter couldn't be fought, but he's been taken out two episodes in a row. Surprise will trump powers. Hiro gets beat up by a precog with a shovel twice in 5 minutes........

"how does Peter get his powers back?" Maybe Peter's only power he has left is the power copying but he hasn't tried it. Peter doesn't think/plan too much.

I'd like to see someone with not much raw power, but the skill/knowledge to use it to its fullest capability. This person would be truly dangerous.

Comment

Working...
                              X