• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Midway???

Ok...
    Spoiler:
    Midway was destroyed *tear*...

But why abandon the gate bridge? It was a good idea...
    "I'm being extremely clever up here and there's no one to stand around looking impressed! What's the point in having you all?!" - The Doctor (#11)

Because
    Spoiler:
    The wraith figured out how to get to it.

Comment

Originally posted by Sllimy View Post
      Because
      Spoiler:
      The wraith figured out how to get to it.
      Simply installing an iris on at least the Pegasus gate would prevent such a ridiculous repeat of the last incident.

Spoiler:
      The only reason that midway fell was because we had absolutely no security systems or countermeasures in place.

Comment

also just rewrite the macro aswell as placing an iris but the ioa dont want to pay for another one soi dnt matter
        Captain Simms

Comment

Or instead of having 2 guards keep the gate room empty and sealed at all times (except when people are arriving) and give the control room the ability to vent the atmosphere from it..
          Jedi_Master_Bra'tac, previously known as wako!

Comment

As...

Spoiler:
            it was proof of how easy the Wraith could make it to Earth because of the bridge, maybe the idea has better stay just that from now on, an idea.

In Loving Memory of Wraithlord.

I wish I got to know you better.

Comment

My thoughts are:
              Spoiler:
              I always thought Rodney was being too over confident (as per usual) but this time it was completely unjustified considering the times the Earth has needed to use the Iris.
              If a new space station was built it wouldn't have to cost that much coz they could just use the Asgard Matter Conversion technology, build it in a single trip and then take some new gates from uninhabited worlds this time with an Iris.

Comment

or if we really want to get inventive we could get the ship from the new serious to pop along drop us a couple of brand new gates with iris already attached......yeah...right.

there are probably various options. build midway again and actually put a couple of iris' in there. or make acces to midway via ship only thus making the embarkation area atmosphere free or controlable.

also didnt i see an episode somewhere in sg1/atlantis that says the gate is able to filter out things like virus etc? maybe we could just rewrite a macro to flter out wraith...wouldnt make much of a story but hey its an idea

Comment

Originally posted by Shpinxinator View Post
                  Ok...
                  Spoiler:
                  Midway was destroyed *tear*...

But why abandon the gate bridge? It was a good idea...
                  the writers didn;t want to keep it
                  https://twitter.com/#!/Solar_wind84

Comment

They installed an Iris for the SGC gate in the First ever episode, it would make sense to do so for all Tau'ri gates.

Comment

I never understood why it had to be a space station. Isn't a frame with two Stargates enough? Give the SGC a Puddle Jumper and then the SGC and Atlantis can just fly across the bridge via Puddle Jumper. If the ship doesn't arrive on the other end, assume it came out prematurely at the midway point or out of one of the other gates. Surely it wouldn't take that long to send a ship out and look for the jumper.

Comment

I also thought of using an Iris, but then I remembered: transport through the Gate Bridge system isn't instantaneous. It takes 30 minutes to travel from one end to the other
                        Spoiler:
                        (not counting the 24-hour quarantine layover)
                        , so it roughly takes 15 minutes from each galaxy (right? 30 minutes total / 2 galaxies = 15 minutes per galaxy).

More specifically:
                        Spoiler:
                        In "Midway" we see Teal'c and Ronon step through the Atlantis gate and arrive at (what I presume to be) the first stop in the Gate Bridge system. The gate activates, stores Teal'c and Ronon's patterns, holds them there, dials the next gate in the system, transfers the patterns, and shuts down. This all took time on camera.

So Midway Station's gate isn't automatically activated from Atlantis. In fact, it isn't even dialed until it's the last leg in the journey.

As well, travellers don't reintegrate until they reach the Midway station. Their patterns are stored along the way but never reintegrated until they hit Midway's gate.

Combine these factors and you see that they can't install an Iris and use it like they do on Earth unless anyone travelling stopped one planetary gate short of Midway, dialed Midway, and transmitted an Iris code before stepping through. But at that point, why would you even need all those gates? Why not just dial Midway directly?

Comment

Originally posted by JacksonClone View Post
                          Combine these factors and you see that they can't install an Iris and use it like they do on Earth unless anyone travelling stopped one planetary gate short of Midway, dialed Midway, and transmitted an Iris code before stepping through. But at that point, why would you even need all those gates? Why not just dial Midway directly?
                          Exactly why an iris wouldn't make sense. The gates are positioned in the void between the galaxies. Just as far from one another to ensure a safe travel of the data stored in the buffer from one gate to another.
                          There is a maximum distance for gate-travel. That is why they needed several gates to build the bridge.
                          And you can't stop one planetary gate short of Midway simply because there are no planets. The only planetary gate in the bridge is the first one they dial from Atlantis and that one is still in Pegasus. After that every gate is in space.
                          Last edited by Karhedron; 20 October 2008, 08:41 AM. Reason: Spelling
                          sigpic
                          Thanks for the Sig go to the talented Fainne
                          Spoiler:
                          Which Supernatural character are you? (I hate those things..but sadly it fits )
                          You're John! You are skilled and smart, but world-weary and a little jaded. You're a serial monogamist, and you love hard. You can sometimes be a little too narrow-minded, and stubborn to a fault, but your heart is always in the right place.

The GateWorld Cantina - Kara : Runner gone Wraith gone Wraith Queen gone human barmaid

Comment

Allright then, add some Turnstiles in so that anyone arrives has to pay

Comment

Originally posted by jnadreth View Post
                              Allright then, add some Turnstiles in so that anyone arrives has to pay
                              Do you have anything to declare?
                              Could you please open the trunk of your Puddlejumper?
                              No I'm sorry Sir,we have no parking lots for Wraith darts.
                              Well Mr.....Wraith...can I see your visa,please?
                              sigpic
                              Thanks for the Sig go to the talented Fainne
                              Spoiler:
                              Which Supernatural character are you? (I hate those things..but sadly it fits )
                              You're John! You are skilled and smart, but world-weary and a little jaded. You're a serial monogamist, and you love hard. You can sometimes be a little too narrow-minded, and stubborn to a fault, but your heart is always in the right place.

The GateWorld Cantina - Kara : Runner gone Wraith gone Wraith Queen gone human barmaid

Comment

Working...
                              X