Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any doubt now that Carson adds more Dynamic to episodes than Keller?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I actually didn't like Carson in this episode... the acting was a bit still at times and the constant plays at humor were annoying since it was a rather dark episode and I was enjoying that.

Plus... Carson isn't a marksman. Can someone please explain to me why he was able to take out 8 Wraith soldiers, taking cover, while standing in the open, with a pistol he's never used before?
    Click the banner or episode links to visit the virtual continuations of Stargate!
    Previous Episode: 11x03 "Shore Leave" | Previous Episode: 6x04 "Nightfall" | Now Airing: 3x06 "Eldest"

Comment

Originally posted by s09119 View Post
      Plus... Carson isn't a marksman. Can someone please explain to me why he was able to take out 8 Wraith soldiers, taking cover, while standing in the open, with a pistol he's never used before?
      I could do that with any pistol you give me and i have limited experience, and usually with rifles. Why? Cant you?

Comment

Originally posted by Avalonis View Post
        I could do that with any pistol you give me and i have limited experience, and usually with rifles. Why? Cant you?
        So if I gave you a pistol and shoved you into a room with 8 Wraith soldiers hiding behind walls and shooting at you, while you were standing in the middle, with no cover, you could take them all out without being hit?

Okay, sure...
        Click the banner or episode links to visit the virtual continuations of Stargate!
        Previous Episode: 11x03 "Shore Leave" | Previous Episode: 6x04 "Nightfall" | Now Airing: 3x06 "Eldest"

Comment

I prefer Carson as a doctor and he is far more convincing than Keller will ever be. I still would prefer him to stick to the role of doctor and not rambo Carson. The scene on the hive ship was rediculous and it makes the Wraith to be complete idiots.. Four of them can't hit anyone but Carson is on target each time even they he is just randomly shooting...

I have no idea why tptb replaced Carson for Keller. She brings nothing to do the show for me whatsover except a silly love triangle.
          sigpic

Comment

I'm one of those people that like both characters, but not equally. I think Keller is good because of the aspects a female doctor brings to the show, similar to what Janet brought in SG-1 - and also because I agree with Rodney that she is HOT.

I like Carson better because he is a more dynamic character. Keller easily fits into 2-3 roles: doctor, conscience, and sometimes the surprise necessary force/warrior as we saw last week. Carson can fill all those roles, as we saw in this episode, but also so many more. There is also the friendship that exists between the team and Carson. Of course we'd go out of our way to protect or help Keller, but it isn't the same as when Carson needs us.

Comment

Originally posted by JeffKnight View Post
              I'm one of those people that like both characters, but not equally. I think Keller is good because of the aspects a female doctor brings to the show, similar to what Janet brought in SG-1 - and also because I agree with Rodney that she is HOT.

I like Carson better because he is a more dynamic character. Keller easily fits into 2-3 roles: doctor, conscience, and sometimes the surprise necessary force/warrior as we saw last week. Carson can fill all those roles, as we saw in this episode, but also so many more. There is also the friendship that exists between the team and Carson. Of course we'd go out of our way to protect or help Keller, but it isn't the same as when Carson needs us.
              And a lot of that has to do with how much longer Carson has been a part of this show and how much longer people have had to identify with him or to simply come to love him as a character.

Personally, I don't like him but I can't deny that more people are more emotionally invested in his character than in Keller's. I'm not, but I guess I'm the exception to that rule.
              sigpic

Comment

Just watching The Rising again reminded me of what I thought was so great about Carson. He showed a passion and fascination of science while holding onto a severred wraith arm and telling Elizabeth what he had learned from it. I haven't felt that kind of passion and fascination from Keller.

Comment

I don't hate Keller. Her character's gotten better, and with Weir gone and Teyla's peripheral role, they did need another woman to round out the cast.

Carson's just a lot better. And the "he's been there longer, that's why" argument is not true, since like SGLAB was saying, from "Rising," the pilot episode, Carson added that same dynamic.
                  sigpic
                  "Most of our John Sheppard impressions sound more like a demented Jimmy Stewart than Joe Flanigan."
                  ~David Hewlett

Comment

clone!carson seems "off" to me, I was waiting for him to "have" to obey wraith mind-control. that is one of the issues for me. i can't stand the interaction iwth him and mckay either...I just want to smack them each one and tell them to grow up.

Comment

clone!carson (?) just isn't the same as the original, even though Beckett is still a very interesting character, more so than Keller. As a whole, I think the character relationships and dynamic is not as good as it was in seasons 1-3, and, while the plots have become more interesting, it just isn't the same. The original cast (seasons 1-3) added a level of personal interaction that these last two seasons (w/ Carter, Woolsey, and Keller) just haven't been able to reproduce.
                      Never, never, never believe any war will be smooth or easy...

... or that any man can measure the tides and hurricanes he will
                      encounter on the strange journey.

Spoiler:

2 Cor. 10:3-5
                      3 For though we walk in the flesh, we do not war after the flesh:
                      4 (For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal, but mighty through God to the pulling down of strong holds; )
                      5 Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ;

Comment

I don't hate keller, I just think that as an actor she doesn't have that dynamic quality that makes her stand out and be noticed, like Carson does. I really enjoyed his part in this episode and it made me miss him even more. Carson is to Atlantis what Janet was to SG-1, IMO.

Comment

I think the scenes with Rodney & Carson in this episode obviously required the Carson-effect (vs. Keller). And I'll agree with what others have said about the Hoffan experience.

Just because the two characters have held the position of CMO does not mean that they play the same role. For me, it's not really and either/or kind of thing. Paul & Jewel play different characters.

Comment

Originally posted by gatechick View Post
                            I don't hate keller, I just think that as an actor she doesn't have that dynamic quality that makes her stand out and be noticed, like Carson does. I really enjoyed his part in this episode and it made me miss him even more. Carson is to Atlantis what Janet was to SG-1, IMO.
                            Exactly! Janet was much the same way as Keller is now until Cassie came into the picture and the character started to develop. Which is why I don't hate Keller - there is potential there to be a well-rounded character (not on the scale of Carson by any means, but a good supporting character). Unfortunately, Keller doesn't have the time that Janet did (with the cancellation).

We also need to remember that Carson is/was a "star" character. Keller is backup.

Comment

Originally posted by Ripple in Space View Post
                              ?

No doubt whatsoever, i love that they brought Beckett back, i wouldn't care if never saw keller again, i hope they bring him back for the movie as well.

Comment

I'm liking Keller again and even grew quite fond of her in "First Contact" and "The Lost Tribe", but I think Beckett has more... I don't know, more presence on screen. I like them differently: Keller as a surgeon and compassionate doctor able to understand wraith's point of view even though she might not approve (while Beckett imposed his own views on Michael without remorse); Beckett as a medical researcher and member of the team. Keller appears innocent and self-effacing, while Beckett has always been darker (even more now after 2 years in captivity by Michael), but also has a more prominent personality.

But although I enjoyed Beckett in "Outsiders", I couldn't shake a bittersweet feeling. It felt "wrong" to get Beckett, knowing we wouldn't see him again until ages. It's like looking at old photos of a dead person you used to like: It brings good memories, but they're just memories. I wish he would come back to Atlantis and we would regularly get glimpses of him, even when he's not the focus of the episode.
                                My Stargate Atlantis fanfictions - Wraith font
                                Todd contacts Atlantis once more... (spoilers up to season 4) 1. Glimpse Into the Evil | 2. Of Wraith and Men (in progress)
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X