Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 26
  1. #1
    Chief Master Sergeant haloplayer's Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    246

    Default Were those weapons really Canon?

    The Human Villagers in this Episode were using Earth based weapons in this episode. They were American 19th century Lever Action Rifles. But there is a problem with this. Where did they get the blue prints?

    I dont like it when the Producers use Earth Based Weapons as Props (tend to be Old Earth Weapons) for Humans on other Worlds who have had no Contact with Earth and do not know there tech.

    Does anyone agree with me on this?

    It does take a sense of realism out of it.

    This reminds me of a SG-1 episode called "Icon". In this episode SG-1 come to a human world in which there is a war going on. And some of these Human Military on this world were armed with M1-Garands (American WW2 weapon for the uninformed). Now this comes up with the question were did these people get Blue Prints of the Garand? After all we see them use the weapon so it must be Canon. I disagree.

    I think that whenever Humans living on other planets (not the Earth ones, even though all humans have ancestry from Earth) have Earth based Weapons, they would either have been given to them by the SGC or stolen from them (which is unlikely).

    Its like Sheppard and his team come across a world in which these humans are armed with Civil War era Single shot Rifles or AK-47's. There has to be an explanation for this.

    It would work if the SGC allied with a certain Human Faction in the Pegasus Galaxy, and they decided to give the Blue Prints of say the M16-A1 (older version of the M16, Vietnam era), then i would see no problem with Non-Earth humans waltzing around with Older M16's.

    However there was no Explanation for the Villagers in Outsiders using Lever Action Earth based, 19th century Rifles.

    The Producers should do what George Lucas did with Star Wars. In the Original Trilogy many of the futuristic blasters (props) were actually created based off of Real world Weapons, Im sure the Producers of SGA could have taken a Earth based weapon and change it up a bit to look different.

    Does anyone agree with me on this?
    ------------------------------------


    Maybe the Villagers in Outsiders built a time machine and somehow got to Earth, went back in time and stole some 19th Century weapons from the Wild Wild West.

    OR

    They teleported a few people to Earth and decided to buy Some Old Earth Rifles from some Gun Collectors.
    /sarcasm

  2. #2
    Major fumblesmcstupid's Avatar
    Member Since
    Feb 2007
    Location
    in the closet with John and Rodney
    Posts
    2,947

    Default Re: Were those weapons really Canon?

    I just laughed when he got his shotgun or whatever it is.

    If the Wraith left people alone and didn't keep them in the dark ages..the PG would have Ronon blasters and phasers.

    I still laugh over the fact that EVERYONE speaks English!

  3. #3
    Colonel P-90_177's Avatar
    Member Since
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Traveling through Time and Space
    Posts
    7,280

    Default Re: Were those weapons really Canon?

    Quote Originally Posted by haloplayer View Post
    The Human Villagers in this Episode were using Earth based weapons in this episode. They were American 19th century Lever Action Rifles. But there is a problem with this. Where did they get the blue prints?

    I dont like it when the Producers use Earth Based Weapons as Props (tend to be Old Earth Weapons) for Humans on other Worlds who have had no Contact with Earth and do not know there tech.

    Does anyone agree with me on this?

    It does take a sense of realism out of it.

    This reminds me of a SG-1 episode called "Icon". In this episode SG-1 come to a human world in which there is a war going on. And some of these Human Military on this world were armed with M1-Garands (American WW2 weapon for the uninformed). Now this comes up with the question were did these people get Blue Prints of the Garand? After all we see them use the weapon so it must be Canon. I disagree.

    I think that whenever Humans living on other planets (not the Earth ones, even though all humans have ancestry from Earth) have Earth based Weapons, they would either have been given to them by the SGC or stolen from them (which is unlikely).

    Its like Sheppard and his team come across a world in which these humans are armed with Civil War era Single shot Rifles or AK-47's. There has to be an explanation for this.

    It would work if the SGC allied with a certain Human Faction in the Pegasus Galaxy, and they decided to give the Blue Prints of say the M16-A1 (older version of the M16, Vietnam era), then i would see no problem with Non-Earth humans waltzing around with Older M16's.

    However there was no Explanation for the Villagers in Outsiders using Lever Action Earth based, 19th century Rifles.

    The Producers should do what George Lucas did with Star Wars. In the Original Trilogy many of the futuristic blasters (props) were actually created based off of Real world Weapons, Im sure the Producers of SGA could have taken a Earth based weapon and change it up a bit to look different.

    Does anyone agree with me on this?
    ------------------------------------


    Maybe the Villagers in Outsiders built a time machine and somehow got to Earth, went back in time and stole some 19th Century weapons from the Wild Wild West.

    OR

    They teleported a few people to Earth and decided to buy Some Old Earth Rifles from some Gun Collectors.
    /sarcasm
    Icon was the only episode I was really bothered by it since it was clear they were M1s. I haven't seen outsiders yet either so I can't speak for these 19th century rifles. It's better to tray and ignore them. I would prefer if they came up with their own props but that can be quite expensive. Plus they did all the Genii weapons and they seemed quite happy to just use those a lot of the time. I think it would be fine if they used more unusual weapons that people don't recognise so much. But again there's a limit to what they can use.
    Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

  4. #4
    Colonel
    Member Since
    May 2004
    Location
    Czech Republic
    Posts
    6,477

    Default Re: Were those weapons really Canon?

    Firefly....TPTW are really desperate that they have to use other shows as an inspiration

  5. #5
    Captain
    Member Since
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    1,338

    Default Re: Were those weapons really Canon?

    I didn't really mind the fact of them using familiar guns in and of itself. Sure, some tweaking of the furniture could be nice, but the working principles of lever, pump or semi-auto action is not quite rocket science, it stands to reason that they could be independently re-created in another galaxy.

    BUT what I don't buy is an isolated village making its own repeater guns. Flintlocks- maybe, although even that is pretty tricky. They had to get their guns from somewhere, an industrial society with relatively advanced knowledge of metallurgy. Not to mention that the Wraith would hardly be content with the idea of Pegasus folks walking around with locally produced Winchesters.

    Which brings me to another question: when the renegade villagers led the Wraiths into the cave- HOW COME THEY WERE STILL CARRYING THOSE GUNS? What kind of cretin of a Wraith commander would tolerate half a dozen armed humans standing around him?
    If Algeria introduced a resolution declaring that the earth was flat and that Israel had flattened it, it would pass by a vote of 164 to 13 with 26 abstentions.- Abba Eban.

  6. #6
    Lieutenant Colonel Ouroboros's Avatar
    Member Since
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    4,846

    Default Re: Were those weapons really Canon?

    Considering I don't think any of the villiagers even fired his rifle so there's no need for it to even be operatable this just smacks of laziness.

    How hard would it really have been to chop up some replica guns to at least look alien if not high tech? They did it for the Geni afterall.

  7. #7
    Second Lieutenant The6thRace's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 2008
    Posts
    483

    Default Re: Were those weapons really Canon?

    Perhaps the wraith commander was afraid that asking them to relinquish their weapons might push them to not showing where the refugees are. In any case, the guns didn't bother me too much, but then again I don't really know old guns. If they were P90s I would have definitely been irked. And if I knew that gun by reputation, I probably would have been a lot more critical.

  8. #8
    Chief Master Sergeant HunGripen's Avatar
    Member Since
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Hungary
    Posts
    185

    Default Re: Were those weapons really Canon?

    It's only because the budget. It would be too expensive to make a new weapon for every episode.

    Yeah and in Icon they used AK-47s too.

  9. #9
    First Lieutenant Ed's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Swansea university UK
    Posts
    976

    Default Re: Were those weapons really Canon?

    they should just have all PG humans use wraith, genii, satedan and maybee travler wepons those would all make sence

  10. #10
    Lieutenant Colonel MCH's Avatar
    Member Since
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Now on Silver Cruiser.
    Posts
    3,950

    Default Re: Were those weapons really Canon?

    Quote Originally Posted by The6thRace View Post
    Perhaps the wraith commander was afraid that asking them to relinquish their weapons might push them to not showing where the refugees are. In any case, the guns didn't bother me too much, but then again I don't really know old guns. If they were P90s I would have definitely been irked. And if I knew that gun by reputation, I probably would have been a lot more critical.
    While we know that Wraith can be killed maybe the Commander has so much comtempt for humans that he didn't think the humans weapons where worth worring about.

    MCH

    Thanks to DS for my siggy

  11. #11
    General GoSpikey's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Between Michael and Todd
    Posts
    26,803

    Default Re: Were those weapons really Canon?

    I also found it funny that they didn't try to fight the Wraith when they had *that* laying around!

    Instead they took the guns and turned it on their own people. Lol.

    In Loving Memory of Wraithlord.

    I wish I got to know you better.

  12. #12
    Chief Master Sergeant haloplayer's Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    246

    Default Re: Were those weapons really Canon?

    Quote Originally Posted by GoSpikey View Post
    I also found it funny that they didn't try to fight the Wraith when they had *that* laying around!

    Instead they took the guns and turned it on their own people. Lol.
    Actually the gun was used in the Episode. Near the ending scene in which Sheppard, and his team are fighting off the Wraith at the Gate, there is a scene of a good Villager shooting his Rifle, and reloading it just like a lever Action, i believed he killed a wraith.

  13. #13
    Captain
    Member Since
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    1,338

    Default Re: Were those weapons really Canon?

    Quote Originally Posted by The6thRace View Post
    Perhaps the wraith commander was afraid that asking them to relinquish their weapons might push them to not showing where the refugees are.
    But not afraid to get shot in the back? Puh-lease.
    If Algeria introduced a resolution declaring that the earth was flat and that Israel had flattened it, it would pass by a vote of 164 to 13 with 26 abstentions.- Abba Eban.

  14. #14
    First Lieutenant Ncc-72452's Avatar
    Member Since
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Landing Pad C
    Posts
    639

    Default Re: Were those weapons really Canon?

    The weapons I saw looked like Winchesters and other weapons comparable to mid- to late 1800s. We know the Genii have weapons tech in the era of WWI to WWII. Maybe they sold off their old weapons (like the US does) to some of their trading partners and allies. I know it was never established that the Genii knew these guys, but maybe the weapons were sold and resold across the PG. Otherwise, I agree with the others that a single village shouldn't have the manufacturing capabilities.

  15. #15
    Lieutenant Colonel
    Member Since
    Jan 2007
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    3,024

    Default Re: Were those weapons really Canon?

    Quote Originally Posted by HunGripen View Post
    Yeah and in Icon they used AK-47s too.
    Um, it's clearly because The Trust sells them to them

  16. #16

    Default Re: Were those weapons really Canon?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ouroboros View Post
    Considering I don't think any of the villiagers even fired his rifle so there's no need for it to even be operatable this just smacks of laziness.

    How hard would it really have been to chop up some replica guns to at least look alien if not high tech? They did it for the Geni afterall.
    well it didn't take much effort the Genii weapons were reused props from the film Timecop.
    A lot of the weapons that show up are reused props from films like he guns from blade trinity have showed up in SG1 and SGA.
    McKay - "We need the Zed P M to power the gate!"
    O'Neill - "What?"
    Jackson - "Zee P M... He's um... He's Canadian"
    O'Neill - "I'm sorry"

  17. #17
    First Lieutenant Zamboni's Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Earth, Sol System
    Posts
    796

    Default Re: Were those weapons really Canon?

    What's really the problem is not why they have Earth guns, but rather the fact that there were only three very neat looking shotguns that were obviously machined, while the rest of the mod had sickles...

    Seriously, there should not be so much gap between technology levels of the weapons. If some of them had shotguns, then the rest should have hand guns.

    If some of them had single loading rifles, then some of them should have high power crossbows.

    It's like seeing a dolphin pulling out a phaser pistol for no reason...

  18. #18
    Chief Master Sergeant
    Member Since
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    170

    Default Re: Were those weapons really Canon?

    i try to keep it along the lines of:

    sga uses the weapons familiar to us so we know roughly whats supposed to happen with the weapon

    they are not really supposed to be those weapons, but they function like it, and if they spent the time/money making new "style" of weapons for every culture, it would get really expensive, so they just use human ideal weapons so you the audience knows what to expect when the trigger gets pulled.

  19. #19
    Major General
    Member Since
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    12,439

    Default Re: Were those weapons really Canon?

    Quote Originally Posted by Zamboni View Post
    What's really the problem is not why they have Earth guns, but rather the fact that there were only three very neat looking shotguns that were obviously machined, while the rest of the mod had sickles...

    Seriously, there should not be so much gap between technology levels of the weapons. If some of them had shotguns, then the rest should have hand guns.

    If some of them had single loading rifles, then some of them should have high power crossbows.

    It's like seeing a dolphin pulling out a phaser pistol for no reason...
    Why? Where's the logic there?

  20. #20
    First Lieutenant Zamboni's Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Earth, Sol System
    Posts
    796

    Default Re: Were those weapons really Canon?

    Quote Originally Posted by jenks View Post
    Why? Where's the logic there?
    The logic being that personal armaments evolve from less powerful to more powerful. Shotguns are much more powerful than hand guns. Therefore it's unlikely for a society to produce only 3 shotguns, no hand guns, and the rest are armed with sickles. It's too great a technological leap.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Canon to the left of them, canon to the right
    By Jaymach in forum Stargate Fandom
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: December 13th, 2010, 11:36 PM
  2. Projectile Weapons vs. Directed Energy Weapons
    By Sci-Fi in forum Battlestar Galactica
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: February 4th, 2007, 08:11 AM
  3. Do we have to have canon ship at all on Atlantis?
    By astronomicalchick in forum SGA Characters and Relationships
    Replies: 46
    Last Post: February 13th, 2006, 05:52 AM
  4. Canon or not?
    By Cpn. Chris(tine) Bowman in forum General Stargate Discussion
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: November 29th, 2004, 08:15 PM
  5. Fanon or Canon?
    By Brianamarie in forum Fan Fiction
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: July 18th, 2004, 10:29 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •