This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Themes in Stargate Atlantis

What are the themes in Stargate Atlantis? Particularly in the pilot episode "Rising".

I'm writing an essay about the journey in Stargate Atlantis, travelling to pegasus, and need to talk about the themes relating to the journey. I have chosen the pilot episode since that is where the major journey takes place as they all leave milky way and go to pegasus.

My first theme is of differing perspectives. You can see this with Sheppard and O'neill and how Sheppard is kind of reluctant to go while O'neill sees that the journey through the Stargate is a great opportunity for anyone who has the chance.

Also a theme of reluctance. Sheppard not sure of going to Atlantis (why is this? it was never really explained. Fear of unknown perhaps?) there is a short scene with Shep flipping a coin, Beckett doesnt want to leave his mother, and so on.

Any other themes you guys can see in this episode?
    Spoiler:

I'd say maybe The sins of our fathers because the Ancients sort of brought the Wraith on the PG...
    "I'm being extremely clever up here and there's no one to stand around looking impressed! What's the point in having you all?!" - The Doctor (#11)

Comment

Originally posted by Brain_Child View Post
      My first theme is of differing perspectives. You can see this with Sheppard and O'neill and how Sheppard is kind of reluctant to go while O'neill sees that the journey through the Stargate is a great opportunity for anyone who has the chance.

Also a theme of reluctance. Sheppard not sure of going to Atlantis (why is this? it was never really explained. Fear of unknown perhaps?) there is a short scene with Shep flipping a coin, Beckett doesnt want to leave his mother, and so on.
      Well, among other things, O'Neill and Sheppard were each introduced to the Stargate program somewhat differently. O'Neill was there at SGC when Daniel cracked the mystery of the gate, and then saw it activated for the first time. Sheppard however, was in Antarctica on a mission to the outpost, and was only told of the gate program and the stargate without actually seeing it, and it was all sprung on him somewhat abruptly at that. O'Neill then practically cajoles Sheppard into joining the program hardly giving Sheppard time to mentally prepare for what he's getting into.
      My timeline of the Ancients here.

Comment

Originally posted by Professor D.H.D. Puddlejumper View Post
        Well, among other things, O'Neill and Sheppard were each introduced to the Stargate program somewhat differently. O'Neill was there at SGC when Daniel cracked the mystery of the gate, and then saw it activated for the first time. Sheppard however, was in Antarctica on a mission to the outpost, and was only told of the gate program and the stargate without actually seeing it, and it was all sprung on him somewhat abruptly at that. O'Neill then practically cajoles Sheppard into joining the program hardly giving Sheppard time to mentally prepare for what he's getting into.
        Sheppard was based out of mcmurdo for 2 years, he would have seen the fall out of lost city. Theres no way he was completely ignorant when 20 f-302s who had expended their ordinance landed at mcmurdos air strip. He would have been flying medevac for wounded personelle, plus he woulda seen all the recovery/clean up work as it all would have had to gone thru his base.

But to the OP, atlantis's main themes are self sacrifice and making hard decisions. How many have sacrificed themselves or others to save the day at great personal.emotional cost?

Comment

Plus he would have had to have seen that massive fleet..

Comment

Don't make me think about developing thesis statements, now.

Family. (Up until S4 when they decided to toss the whole thing out which is one reason why I personally do not regard it as canon.)

Supporting Quote:

SHEPPARD
            You, Elizabeth, Ronon, Carson, even Rodney are the closest thing I have to, a…
            TEYLA (smiling)
            A family?
            SHEPPARD (clearly emotional)
            I'd do anything…for any one of you.

Comment

I think that one moment can dramatically change our lives forever. You should always help friends because if you don't you can feel terrible about it later. Sometimes death is the best solution and that you can never have enough friends. Those are just some that i could come up with in like 2 min
              This isn't Atlantis?
              I don't think so.
              If this is not the Lost City…then where is it?

SGU= Awesome Eli is so me =P

Comment

Human spirit of exploration, the willingnes of the Atlantis team to go to a nother galaxy not knowing if they can return.

That overconfidence is a bad thing even if your enemy is inferior to you in terms of intelligence and technological capabillities. Don't rely to much on technology, the defeat of the Ancients.

That sometimes it is better to grant someone a merciful death than letting them suffer, Sheppard killing the Colonel.

That there are consequences to every action. Making the right decision can sometimes have unforseen consequences that can be disastrous. Like saving your teammates, but waking the Wraith. This is especially the case when you are facing an unfamiliar opponent and have no way to anticipate their response.
                sigpic

Comment

Leave no one behind.

That was how the show was set up - we learn Sheppard got in trouble for going back for his men. He goes back to save the Colonel and the Athosians. This theme is pounded into our heads throughout the series - it played a big part in Common Ground, Phantoms, and even in John's dream in Search and Rescue...heck, name an episode, it usually has this theme woven into it in some way, shape, size, or form. Not all - but probably most.

das
                  sigpic

Comment

Working...
                  X