• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sanctuary ratings

October 6 2008

Lackluster ratings on Friday night

http://www.variety.com/article/VR111...ryid=1275&cs=1

excerpt:

Americans appear to be using Friday as DVR playback night, as season premieres on the broadcast nets posted tiny numbers.

CBS' "Ghost Whisperer" was the exception, dominating the night's opening hour and holding all of its aud from its year-ago preem. The Eye won the night, but with less than scintillating results from 9 o'clock newbie "The Ex List" and 10 o'clock vet "Numbers."

After a presidential debate the previous Friday scuttled net plans to roll out their lineups, the five top English-language broadcast networks combined for a meager 7.2 rating/22 share among adults 18-49 -- down sharply from the 8.7/30 they posted during the opening Friday of last season.

The meager overall broadcast numbers came despite the fact that Nielsen said TV usage was up slightly vs. the same week a year ago.

REST AT LINK ABOVE

-------------------

Nothing was mentioned on Sanctuary, of course, but if the nets were down, Skiffy probably wasn’t pulling much better. When I spoke to one person at the Sanctuary signing on Friday morning in NYC, she said she doesn’t watch TV – she DVRs everything and watches at her leisure (usually a weekend ‘marathon’). Hopefully Skiffy takes that into account.

I dvr most things i watch seriously and only watch stuff in real time if I really really want to watch the episode or if I'm not to bothered by it. This allows me to fast forward through the breaks and to rewind if I didn't hear/catch something.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Mousie View Post
      I dvr most things i watch seriously and only watch stuff in real time if I really really want to watch the episode or if I'm not to bothered by it. This allows me to fast forward through the breaks and to rewind if I didn't hear/catch something.
      I think more and more people are doing that, and the ratings folks need to get a handle on how to deal with it. Sitting in front of the TV 'live' only works for a segment of the population now.

Comment

The prob with Sci Fi is that not every household gets it - I know a lot of people who can only get Sci Fi with a digital box (not everyone has one). Not sure how that will change, but I know my parents cable company just switched two channels (not Sci Fi - but TCM and AMC - two classic movie channels - to digital only, forcing my parents to get the box since mom loves those channels). Others, like my in-laws, have opted out of full cable packages in order to keep expenses down, and so they don't get Sci Fi, either, but only local channels, and a handful of others, like CNN.

Younger generations are just watching everything on the computer. Others, like myself, do rely on the DVRs. The rating system is obsolete...totally obsolete. It needs to be revamped to take in all the new ways people watch their shows.

das
        sigpic

Comment

Even though I would go TOTALLY INSANE if I didn't watch any of my shows on the first airing, it really is a shame how much a show's life is dictated by something so obsolete.

Comment

Originally posted by prion View Post
            I think more and more people are doing that, and the ratings folks need to get a handle on how to deal with it. Sitting in front of the TV 'live' only works for a segment of the population now.
            They alread have. There's a rating called a C3(Commercial Minute rating within 3 days), which only counts people who didn't switch channels or fast forward through the commercials within a three day window. This is the rating advertisers use to determine the value of advertising in the show. It was created at the advertisers' request. Advertisers feel it is obsolete to count who watches the show. They only care who watches the commercials.

Besides "C3" Nielsen also releases "Live plus 7 day" ratings which reflect the program's ratings with a 7 day period.

The prob with Sci Fi is that not every household gets it
            The ratings generally published here and by SciFi are called Coverage Area ratings. That means the rating is calculated based only on the number of households that get it. Nielsen updates the "coverage universe" monthly.

Currently, SciFi is received in 92.9 million households. This is only a little less than cable and satellite penetration in the U.S. CNN, which is in pretty much all cable/satellite households, is in 97.9 million households.

Comment

I never watch anything as it airs live. I always record it and watch it later. I did that with Sanctuary.

Comment

Wow, this was fast...

http://nbcumv.com/scifi/release_deta...sseek039s.html

October 6, 2008

VIEWERS SEEK 'SANCTUARY' ON SCI FI
                #1 Program Among Adults 25-54
                2.7 Million Tune In For Series Premiere

New York, NY – October 6, 2008 –SCI FI's groundbreaking new original series Sanctuary, which premiered on Friday, October 3 (9-11 pm), was the #1 primetime cable entertainment program among Adults 25-54 and the #4 among Adults 18-49. Sanctuary delivered more than 2.7 million total viewers (P2+), 1.08 million Adults 18-49, and 1.4 million Adults 25-54. With its 2.2 HH rating, Sanctuary is the highest rated original series premiere since Eureka made Channel history in July 2006.

Sanctuary helped to make SCI FI the #1 cable network airing entertainment programming in 8-11 pm primetime with Adults 25-54, and among adults 18-49 the Channel was ranked #2.

SCIFI.com also had record highs. Since measurement began in 2006, Sanctuary is the best performance online for any SCI FI series debut in all key metrics. Sanctuary's web performance boosted SCIFI.com to 1.2 million page views, 208,000 uniques, and 287,000 video streams on Friday, October 3, 2008.

Sanctuary follows the adventures of the beautiful, enigmatic and always surprising Dr. Helen Magnus (Tapping), a brilliant scientist who holds the secrets of a clandestine population — a group of strange and sometimes terrifying beings that hide among humans. Along with her new recruit, forensic psychiatrist Dr. Will Zimmerman (Robin Dunne), her quirky tech wiz Henry (Ryan Robbins) and her fearless daughter Ashley (Emilie Ullerup), Magnus seeks to protect this threatened phenomena as well as unlock the mysteries behind their existence. The series also stars Christopher Heyerdahl as the sinister John Druitt.

Created by Damian Kindler (Stargate SG-1, Stargate Atlantis), Sanctuary is produced in association with SCI FI Channel and is distributed by Tricon Films and Television. The show is executive produced by Damian Kindler, Sam Egan, Amanda Tapping, Martin Wood, Keith Beedie, and N. John Smith.

SCI FI Channel is a television network where "what if" is what's on. SCI FI fuels the imagination of viewers with original series and events, blockbuster movies and classic science fiction and fantasy programming, as well as a dynamic Web site (www.scifi.com) and magazine. Launched in 1992, and currently in 93 million homes, SCI FI Channel is a network of NBC Universal, one of the world's leading media and entertainment companies.

Comment

okay, this sounds good. REALLY good.

but what's the rating??? i'm seeing a lot of different niumbers!

Wow, this was fast...

October 6, 2008

New York, NY – October 6, 2008 –SCI FI's groundbreaking new original series Sanctuary, which premiered on Friday, October 3 (9-11 pm), was the #1 primetime cable entertainment program among Adults 25-54 and the #4 among Adults 18-49. Sanctuary delivered more than 2.7 million total viewers (P2+), 1.08 million Adults 18-49, and 1.4 million Adults 25-54. With its 2.2 HH rating, Sanctuary is the highest rated original series premiere since Eureka made Channel history in July 2006.

Sanctuary helped to make SCI FI the #1 cable network airing entertainment programming in 8-11 pm primetime with Adults 25-54, and among adults 18-49 the Channel was ranked #2.

SCIFI.com also had record highs. Since measurement began in 2006, Sanctuary is the best performance online for any SCI FI series debut in all key metrics. Sanctuary's web performance boosted SCIFI.com to 1.2 million page views, 208,000 uniques, and 287,000 video streams on Friday, October 3, 2008.

Sanctuary follows the adventures of the beautiful, enigmatic and always surprising Dr. Helen Magnus (Tapping), a brilliant scientist who holds the secrets of a clandestine population — a group of strange and sometimes terrifying beings that hide among humans. Along with her new recruit, forensic psychiatrist Dr. Will Zimmerman (Robin Dunne), her quirky tech wiz Henry (Ryan Robbins) and her fearless daughter Ashley (Emilie Ullerup), Magnus seeks to protect this threatened phenomena as well as unlock the mysteries behind their existence. The series also stars Christopher Heyerdahl as the sinister John Druitt.

Created by Damian Kindler (Stargate SG-1, Stargate Atlantis), Sanctuary is produced in association with SCI FI Channel and is distributed by Tricon Films and Television. The show is executive produced by Damian Kindler, Sam Egan, Amanda Tapping, Martin Wood, Keith Beedie, and N. John Smith.

SCI FI Channel is a television network where "what if" is what's on. SCI FI fuels the imagination of viewers with original series and events, blockbuster movies and classic science fiction and fantasy programming, as well as a dynamic Web site (www.scifi.com) and magazine. Launched in 1992, and currently in 93 million homes, SCI FI Channel is a network of NBC Universal, one of the world's leading media and entertainment companies.
                  sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by majorsal View Post
                    okay, this sounds good. Really good. :d

but what's the rating??? I'm seeing a lot of different niumbers!
                    -

Comment

Originally posted by RealmOfX View Post
                      thank you!!

oy... so many numbers to say something so simple.
                      sally

sigpic

Comment

http://www.multichannel.com/article/CA6602399.html

‘Sanctuary’ Finds 2.7 Million Viewers
                        Sci Fi Channel Show Premiere Best For Network Since ?Eureka?
                        -- Multichannel News, 10/7/2008 5:39:00 AM

Sci Fi Channel said new original series Sanctuary drew 2.7 million total viewers and was the top primetime basic-cable entertainment program on Oct. 3 among adults ages 25-54.

The two-hour premiere (9-11 p.m.) ranked fourth among cable primetime programs Friday night among adults ages 18-49 with 1.08 million viewers in that demographic, Sci Fi said. The show, starring Sci Fi staple Amanda Tapping (Stargate SG-1), attracted 1.4 million viewers in the 25-54 bracket, according to the NBC Universal-owned channel.

Sci Fi Channel said, on the night, it was the top cable network airing entertainment programming in primetime (8-11 p.m.) among the 25-54 set, and was second among adults 18-49.

Sci Fi said the premiere was the highest rated for Sci Fi Channel since Eureka debuted in July 2006, setting a network record with more than 4 million viewers.

The show -- heavily promoted and notable for its use of green-screen technology -- also drew Web traffic to Scifi.com. Since measurement began in 2006, Sanctuary had the best performance online for any Sci Fi series debut in all key metrics, the channel said. On the night, Scifi.com claimed a total of 1.2 million page views, 208,000 uniques and 287,000 video streams.

The premiere will be replayed tonight at 7 p.m. The show’s regular timeslot is Friday at 10 p.m., after Stargate Atlantis.

Comment

Wow, this was fast...

October 6, 2008

Great to hear the good news. Thanks so much!

Thanks to Pengyn, SamJackShipLover and Mala for the sig.

Comment

Sanctuary Scores Big Premiere Ratings

The new series Sanctuary, featuring many Stargate alumni, scored big ratings for Sci Fi Channel on Friday Oct 3, 2008. Here is the press release:

VIEWERS SEEK ‘SANCTUARY’ ON SCI FI

New York, NY October 6, 2008 SCI FI’s groundbreaking new original series Sanctuary, which premiered on Friday, October 3 (9-11 pm), was the #1 primetime cable entertainment program among Adults 25-54 and the #4 among Adults 18-49. Sanctuary delivered more than 2.7 million total viewers (P2+), 1.08 million Adults 18-49, and 1.4 million Adults 25-54. With its 2.2 HH rating, Sanctuary is the highest rated original series premiere since Eureka made Channel history in July 2006.

SCIFI.com also had record highs. Since measurement began in 2006, Sanctuary is the best performance online for any SCI FI series debut in all key metrics. Sanctuary’s web performance boosted SCIFI.com to 1.2 million page views, 208,000 uniques, and 287,000 video streams on Friday, October 3, 2008.

Sanctuary follows the adventures of the beautiful, enigmatic and always surprising Dr. Helen Magnus (Tapping), a brilliant scientist who holds the secrets of a clandestine population a group of strange and sometimes terrifying beings that hide among humans. Along with her new recruit, forensic psychiatrist Dr. Will Zimmerman (Robin Dunne), her quirky tech wiz Henry (Ryan Robbins) and her fearless daughter Ashley (Emilie Ullerup), Magnus seeks to protect this threatened phenomena as well as unlock the mysteries behind their existence. The series also stars Christopher Heyerdahl as the sinister John Druitt.

http://stargate-sg1-solutions.com/blog/?p=1779

Comment

This is good news.

Comment

Working...
                              X