Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What happens when you go through a stargate wormhole backwards??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What happens when you go through a stargate wormhole backwards??

Hi,

I am a huge Stargate fan, and I have seen every episode many a time, but, I don't ever remember this question be answered, at least not directly.

What happens to a person that goes into a Stargate wormhole, when it was initiated from the other end. I know for a fact that you cannot travel backwards, but do you die or do you just move right through the Event Horizon as if it were not there?

Does anyone know if this has been addressed and in what episode?

Thanks
    McKay: "We need the Zed-Pee-Em to power the gate."
    O'Neill: "Huh?"
    Daniel: "Zee-Pee-Em. He's Canadian."

I've seen this done on stargate, where the enemy/good guy will run through the stargate backwards. They just come out going backwards on the other side.

Edit-

I think i got your question confused? If a person goes through a stargate that wasn't activated from that person's side they will die. They said this in the original movie.

You won't travel anywhere if you enter the stargate that wasn't activated on your side. But, has seen in the Atlantis episode "38 minutes" you can rest in the event horizon... just make sure you are pulled out before the gate shuts down.
    Last edited by Alan Wake; 05 October 2008, 09:14 PM.

Comment

you would be destroyed just like the malp was in "100 days" when the gate was activated when it was on it's side
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Alan Wake View Post
        I've seen this done on stargate, where the enemy/good guy will run through the stargate backwards. They just come out going backwards on the other side.
        I am not sure about that. I believe it has been specifically stated that you can only travel in the direction the gate was dialed. That is why I am asking what happens when someone inters the event horizon from the other end.

Comment

Originally posted by suprmn4105 View Post
          I am not sure about that. I believe it has been specifically stated that you can only travel in the direction the gate was dialed. That is why I am asking what happens when someone inters the event horizon from the other end.
          yup, sorry got your question confused. corrected above.

Comment

Originally posted by Drizzt Do'Urden View Post
            you would be destroyed just like the malp was in "100 days" when the gate was activated when it was on it's side
            I thought that malp was destroyed by the unstable vortex, the "fwoosh", from when the stargate was actived.

Comment

I think i got your question confused? If a person goes through a stargate that wasn't activated from that person's side they will die. They said this in the original movie.

You won't travel anywhere if you enter the stargate that wasn't activated on your side. But, has seen in the Atlantis episode "38 minutes" you can rest in the event horizon... just make sure you are pulled out before the gate shuts down.
              I remember that from the movie, but there is a lot about the SG universe and stargate physics in general not carried over from the original movie. I was wondering if this was ever addressed in the TV show.

I am not sure I understand your explanation from SGA mention. In that episode the jumper entered a space gate they activated from the jumper. It just got stuck.

Comment

Originally posted by suprmn4105 View Post
                I remember that from the movie, but there is a lot about the SG universe and stargate physics in general not carried over from the original movie. I was wondering if this was ever addressed in the TV show.

I am not sure I understand your explanation from SGA mention. In that episode the jumper entered a space gate they activated from the jumper. It just got stuck.
                I was just trying to point out that some of the team members entered the gate that was activated form the Atlantis side, and managed to stay alive by staying in the gates event horizon. If the gate had been shut off well they were doing this, they would have died. I think this is the only mention of the gate in all of stargate that i can remember.

I was hoping bringing this episode up would try and answer your question on if they would die or not.

What i got from that episode about this situation-

You can enter a stargate that was activiated from another location, you won't move or go through the stargate to that location... you'll just sit in the event horizon in "stasis" like until it shuts down... and you die.

Hope that helps some.
                Last edited by Alan Wake; 05 October 2008, 09:35 PM.

Comment

you would be dematerialized but not transported to the other side, so unless a part of you did not cros the eventhorison (so someone can pull you out, on the same side) you would't be rematerialized.

Comment

You would be killed.... TO DEATH!!
                    Wraith ships are giant lobsters.

Comment

But you can stand on the receiving side and put your hand in and then pull it back out...

Comment

Originally posted by Trig View Post
                        But you can stand on the receiving side and put your hand in and then pull it back out...
                        excellent point. Maybe it is only when all of you has been disintegrated or something like that.
                        "Wøøf!"

Comment

Would presume so yes, after all if your all disintegrated then theres no part of you to pull you back.

If someone stepped into the event horizon on the recieving gate (RG) though and someone else was to come through from the POO gate what would happen, would the travelers molecules become mixed with the disintegrated persons and then a mix of both spat out of the RG, would both fail to rematerialise, would the traveler pick up the person that'd been dematerialised and push them out?

Its fair to assume that it would be possible for someone that had entered a RG end to be dematerialised in a way that they could be rematerialised, otherwise Jack would of lost his fingers when he put his hand in the gate.

However, The gates were built with various failsafe's in place, so when you enter the RG you dont go anywhere, it demateriases you, realises you cant actually go anywhere, and spits you back out.

Comment

[QUOTE=Alan Wake;9040510]I was just trying to point out that some of the team members entered the gate that was activated form the Atlantis side, and managed to stay alive by staying in the gates event horizon. If the gate had been shut off well they were doing this, they would have died. I think this is the only mention of the gate in all of stargate that i can remember.
                            QUOTE]

You do know that it was an outgoing wormhole from where the Jumper was to Atlantis and not activated FROM the Atlantis side?
                            When the time comes to utilize Earth's best weaponry against an ailen threat. The weapon that will ultimately prove to be Earth's best will be the Zatnikitel
                            Zatnikitelman

Comment

Hello, I'm a bit of a newbie here. I looked back 10 pages and didn't find a topic like this, so my apologies if this has already been discussed.

First, let's talk about a crucial law in wormhole physics:
                              * Matter can go one way only, while energy can go both ways.

Alright, makes sense. So people can go only one way. But wait! As said in the series:

* When entering through the event horizon, the matter passing through is converted to energy, and then rematerialized at the event horizon of a Stargate.

Since energy can go both ways... do you see what I'm saying? Am I missing something, here?

Comment

Working...
                              X