Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What happens when you go through a stargate wormhole backwards??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CJ Master View Post
    Hello, I'm a bit of a newbie here. I looked back 10 pages and didn't find a topic like this, so my apologies if this has already been discussed.

First, let's talk about a crucial law in wormhole physics:
    * Matter can go one way only, while energy can go both ways.

Alright, makes sense. So people can go only one way. But wait! As said in the series:

* When entering through the event horizon, the matter passing through is converted to energy, and then rematerialized at the event horizon of a Stargate.

Since energy can go both ways... do you see what I'm saying? Am I missing something, here?
    Energy can be of different types. And with different types of energy are available in various manipulations.
    Well, contrary to popular human belief, the Earth is not the centre of the galaxy. (c) ARIS BOCH
    SGU DEAD - Good News !!!

Comment

i think it is ment the you can only cinvart matter one way so but because you dont need the convarte engey so it can travel both way through the wormhole

Comment

the most simplistic explanation is, is that the stargate destroys your body, sends it through as a matter stream (atomic particles and energy) which at the other side is put back together.

the problem is, is that the wormhole would have to be microscopical (otherwise, you have an artificial black hole without event horizon). light is tiny, objects are not. the matterstream would be just small enough to get through, but for safety (and possibly due to computational problems) the gate can only hold something from one side, as the storage of said object takes so much space, it can not account for anything coming from the other side.

in order to prevent all kinds of nasty stuff, the gate is designed so it only goes one way

Comment

Originally posted by thekillman View Post
          the most simplistic explanation is, is that the stargate destroys your body, sends it through as a matter stream (atomic particles and energy) which at the other side is put back together.
          Maybe not. Perhaps they only convert body to supercompact form and shift into a separate subspace exists only at the time of the communication session of the gate.
          Well, contrary to popular human belief, the Earth is not the centre of the galaxy. (c) ARIS BOCH
          SGU DEAD - Good News !!!

Comment

You know what, even with numerous years of watching the show, and then my time here, I still sometimes don't get why the SGC couldn't dial a planet so the people on that planet could get home (eg Abydos)
            Something to do with the direction of the matter stream, but am still lost.....
            sigpic
            385 Heroes coming Home

Here's to smart Mods

Comment

Maybe not. Perhaps they only convert body to supercompact form and shift into a separate subspace exists only at the time of the communication session of the gate.
              supercompression still destroys it. asgard beaming destroys your body, turns it to a matter stream and then rebuilds it. so do stargates. anything that "converts" your body destroys it.

Comment

supercompression still destroys it. asgard beaming destroys your body, turns it to a matter stream and then rebuilds it. so do stargates. anything that "converts" your body destroys it.
                Not destroy if make pre-conversion of matter by irradiation as in 3.21 Crystal Skull
                SGU DEAD - Good News !!!

Comment

HUH?

it looks more like a random combination of funny words than actually something scientific. i would hate to get my body irradiated. all the cancer and stuff...

Comment

HUH?

it looks more like a random combination of funny words than actually something scientific. i would hate to get my body irradiated. all the cancer and stuff...
                    Look "Crystal skull" - Jackson was not ill with a cancer.
                    SGU DEAD - Good News !!!

Comment

Gate Physics 101.

1) Matter. Wormhole established between two gates can send through only elementary particles. This is most likely due to extreme tidal forces inherent in space-time geometry of a small wormhole. A wormhole with tidal forces that would be safe for a traveler would need to be very, very large. The wormhole of the size used by typical stargate would disintegrate ordinary matter into quark-gluon plasma, which is essentially what matter stream is.

2) Direction. In theory, matter stream, in its elementary particle form, should be capable of traveling both ways through the wormhole. The connection between destination and origin gates is very symmetric. Either gate can power the wormhole, for example. However, there could be any number of problems if two matter streams happen to collide mid-way. Most likely, for this reason, matter stream is sent from origin gate only.

3) Buffer. A person stepping through the event horizon would not survive if the disassembled matter was immediately sent to the destination gate. At very least, it should be clear why circulation would become problematic. For this reason, there exists a buffer. Matter near event horizon is constantly disintegrated and reintegrated, allowing free movement between real space and buffer. Buffer stores the disintegrated matter, energy, and information required to reconstruct the object that is about to be sent to the destination. Once a person steps completely into the buffer, the contents of the buffer are sent to the destination gate.

4) Destination. The matter stream, along with information required for reconstruction, sent from buffer at the origin is stored in the destination buffer upon reception. Only then does the reintegration process begin, allowing traveler to step out. The destination buffer operates the same way as origin buffer in every way, with one exception. Just like at the origin, it is completely safe to stand part-way through event horizon. Matter will continue going between real space and buffer freely. However, if an object goes all the way into the buffer, it is stored for transmission. Since matter stream cannot be sent from destination gate to origin gate, the object stays in buffer. The buffer will be purged next time that a connection is established to or from the gate in question, effectively destroying all contents. Reasons why ancients have not equipped destination gate with safety protocols forcing expulsion of any object completely entering destination buffer, similar to what happens when the object first arrives, are unclear.
                      MWG Gate Network Simulation

Looks familiar?

Comment

I realize that these are two different shows, but I think the explanation makes sense.

In sliders, i think it was mentioned in the pilot episode that traveling backwards through an open wormhole would not take you to the place that you came from before, but instead dump you into some random part of some random alternate reality, and no guarantees that it would be anywhere near earth, or that you would come out intact.
                        Warning: This post may not be meant to be taken seriously.

Comment

If the SG wormholes worked the same way, it would be impossible to establish two-way radio communication.

For the most part, SG wormholes are consistent with wormholes predicted by General Relativity. All indications in the show point to writers trying to conform to that as well. So I it seems best to fill in the gaps from real wormhole theory.
                          MWG Gate Network Simulation

Looks familiar?

Comment

I always wanted to know what were to happen if u were to enter the stargate from behind. Like lets say if ur facing the stargate, and it activates, u see the puddle come out of the event horizon, then u walk behind the stargate while its still activated, and enter it through there. Would you be disintegrated or would u just reach ur destination except u'll be on the other side of the stargate, or do u guys have any other ideas... i really want to know, its been bugging me for a couple years now 0_0

Comment

that's been bugging me the only attempt at explaining it I know is massively un-cannon but in gmod (game) there is a Stargate mod and entering the back acts like entering the front backward its hard to explain ill get a quick video together

The only reason i think it might be correct is the guys the moded the gates into the game would have done their homework but they have ignored some rules like the proximity one and such so it could just be a best guess.

Edit: they updated the gates in game so that you die going in backwards specifcaly by just getting de materialised and never re materialised i made a quick vid to show it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NgBC8FFaj9M

i went in normally then round the back im wondering if the devs have evidence i see no other reason to change it.
                              Last edited by Ed; 21 October 2009, 08:25 AM. Reason: aditional info

Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWmw1u2to5M

Currently recruiting new staff

Comment

I've always thought that if you try to go through the Stargate backwards, nothing happens. If you're standing behind an active, sending Stargate and you walk through, you find yourself standing in front of the same gate. No de-materialization, no getting sent to the backside of the receiving gate, no evil parallel universes.

The event horizon is a two-dimensional "puddle" with a front, which if you walk through you get de-materialized and sent through the wormhole. But there is no back to the event horizon. You would just pass through the space occupied by the puddle. If you were to then take a step backwards, off you go to the receiving gate, but it doesn't work both ways. The front is the business end and the back doesn't exist.

That's probably why whenever we see the front of the gate it's like opaque water with light reflecting off it, but from the back it's translucent.

As for walking through the front of a receiving gate, you'd probably just get spat back out. That actually give me a funny image of the MALP in "100 Days" bouncing into and out of the EH until the gate shut down, then crashing on the "floor" to be destroyed when Teal'c dialed in.
                                Science without religion is lame. Religion without science is blind. -Albert Einstein

I'm beginning to realize no one actually reads my posts.

Comment

Working...
                                X