Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Stargates - not one way only?

Maybe not. Perhaps they only convert body to supercompact form and shift into a separate subspace exists only at the time of the communication session of the gate.
    supercompression still destroys it. asgard beaming destroys your body, turns it to a matter stream and then rebuilds it. so do stargates. anything that "converts" your body destroys it.

Cameron Re: Stargates - not one way only?

Quote Originally Posted by thekillman View Post
    supercompression still destroys it. asgard beaming destroys your body, turns it to a matter stream and then rebuilds it. so do stargates. anything that "converts" your body destroys it.
    Not destroy if make pre-conversion of matter by irradiation as in 3.21 Crystal Skull
    Well, contrary to popular human belief, the Earth is not the centre of the galaxy. (c) ARIS BOCH
    SGU DEAD - Good News !!!

HUH?

it looks more like a random combination of funny words than actually something scientific. i would hate to get my body irradiated. all the cancer and stuff...

Cameron Re: Stargates - not one way only?

Quote Originally Posted by thekillman View Post
    HUH?

it looks more like a random combination of funny words than actually something scientific. i would hate to get my body irradiated. all the cancer and stuff...
    Look "Crystal skull" - Jackson was not ill with a cancer.
    Well, contrary to popular human belief, the Earth is not the centre of the galaxy. (c) ARIS BOCH
    SGU DEAD - Good News !!!

First Lieutenant

Gate Physics 101.

1) Matter. Wormhole established between two gates can send through only elementary particles. This is most likely due to extreme tidal forces inherent in space-time geometry of a small wormhole. A wormhole with tidal forces that would be safe for a traveler would need to be very, very large. The wormhole of the size used by typical stargate would disintegrate ordinary matter into quark-gluon plasma, which is essentially what matter stream is.

2) Direction. In theory, matter stream, in its elementary particle form, should be capable of traveling both ways through the wormhole. The connection between destination and origin gates is very symmetric. Either gate can power the wormhole, for example. However, there could be any number of problems if two matter streams happen to collide mid-way. Most likely, for this reason, matter stream is sent from origin gate only.

3) Buffer. A person stepping through the event horizon would not survive if the disassembled matter was immediately sent to the destination gate. At very least, it should be clear why circulation would become problematic. For this reason, there exists a buffer. Matter near event horizon is constantly disintegrated and reintegrated, allowing free movement between real space and buffer. Buffer stores the disintegrated matter, energy, and information required to reconstruct the object that is about to be sent to the destination. Once a person steps completely into the buffer, the contents of the buffer are sent to the destination gate.

4) Destination. The matter stream, along with information required for reconstruction, sent from buffer at the origin is stored in the destination buffer upon reception. Only then does the reintegration process begin, allowing traveler to step out. The destination buffer operates the same way as origin buffer in every way, with one exception. Just like at the origin, it is completely safe to stand part-way through event horizon. Matter will continue going between real space and buffer freely. However, if an object goes all the way into the buffer, it is stored for transmission. Since matter stream cannot be sent from destination gate to origin gate, the object stays in buffer. The buffer will be purged next time that a connection is established to or from the gate in question, effectively destroying all contents. Reasons why ancients have not equipped destination gate with safety protocols forcing expulsion of any object completely entering destination buffer, similar to what happens when the object first arrives, are unclear.

Second Lieutenant Schrodinger's Cat's Avatar
    In the box, meowing for someone to observe me...

I realize that these are two different shows, but I think the explanation makes sense.

In sliders, i think it was mentioned in the pilot episode that traveling backwards through an open wormhole would not take you to the place that you came from before, but instead dump you into some random part of some random alternate reality, and no guarantees that it would be anywhere near earth, or that you would come out intact.
    Warning: This post may not be meant to be taken seriously.

First Lieutenant

If the SG wormholes worked the same way, it would be impossible to establish two-way radio communication.

For the most part, SG wormholes are consistent with wormholes predicted by General Relativity. All indications in the show point to writers trying to conform to that as well. So I it seems best to fill in the gaps from real wormhole theory.

Probie

Default Did anyone ever wonder what were t happen if.....

I always wanted to know what were to happen if u were to enter the stargate from behind. Like lets say if ur facing the stargate, and it activates, u see the puddle come out of the event horizon, then u walk behind the stargate while its still activated, and enter it through there. Would you be disintegrated or would u just reach ur destination except u'll be on the other side of the stargate, or do u guys have any other ideas... i really want to know, its been bugging me for a couple years now 0_0

Default Re: Did anyone ever wonder what were t happen if.....

that's been bugging me the only attempt at explaining it I know is massively un-cannon but in gmod (game) there is a Stargate mod and entering the back acts like entering the front backward its hard to explain ill get a quick video together

The only reason i think it might be correct is the guys the moded the gates into the game would have done their homework but they have ignored some rules like the proximity one and such so it could just be a best guess.

Edit: they updated the gates in game so that you die going in backwards specifcaly by just getting de materialised and never re materialised i made a quick vid to show it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NgBC8FFaj9M

i went in normally then round the back im wondering if the devs have evidence i see no other reason to change it.
    Last edited by Ed; October 21st, 2009 at 08:25 AM. Reason: aditional info

Chief Master Sergeant

Default Re: What happens when you go through a stargate wormhole backwards??

I've always thought that if you try to go through the Stargate backwards, nothing happens. If you're standing behind an active, sending Stargate and you walk through, you find yourself standing in front of the same gate. No de-materialization, no getting sent to the backside of the receiving gate, no evil parallel universes.

The event horizon is a two-dimensional "puddle" with a front, which if you walk through you get de-materialized and sent through the wormhole. But there is no back to the event horizon. You would just pass through the space occupied by the puddle. If you were to then take a step backwards, off you go to the receiving gate, but it doesn't work both ways. The front is the business end and the back doesn't exist.

That's probably why whenever we see the front of the gate it's like opaque water with light reflecting off it, but from the back it's translucent.

As for walking through the front of a receiving gate, you'd probably just get spat back out. That actually give me a funny image of the MALP in "100 Days" bouncing into and out of the EH until the gate shut down, then crashing on the "floor" to be destroyed when Teal'c dialed in.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Wake View Post
    I've seen this done on stargate, where the enemy/good guy will run through the stargate backwards. They just come out going backwards on the other side.

Edit-

I think i got your question confused? If a person goes through a stargate that wasn't activated from that person's side they will die. They said this in the original movie.
    Referesh my memory. When was this ever said in the "original movie" (feature film or CoTG)?

Stargate Re: What happens when you go through a stargate wormhole backwards??

I watched that video, but it didn't clear anything up for me. Did you do what you set out to do in the vid? Those stargates look really good though, they made me want to play with them. Which game are they for? Is that done in a terrain/scenario editor & loaded into a modpack, or what? I'm itching to dial addresses now, damn video got me antsy waiting for this 'Stargate Worlds' to be released.
    The initial question is definately something to be tested with robots or malps,& not people. That's some hairy stuff to figure out when being chased & having to make a split decision. I'm sure someone, somewhere came upon the gate from behind while running away from enemies/danger.
    My favorite stargates were the ones embedded into a cliff face, & located directly on the edge of a cliff. I like the way they looked.
    The one on the cliff made me first think of exactly what you asked, b/c that's some cruel business to have someone come out the other side & walk off a cliff not 2 sec through the stargate. I wonder if any alien races anywhere in the universe were able to alter their stargate onto a rotating platform, which they could spin around if they were getting chased. Instead of an iris, they just spin the gate around when they want it protected, & any unauthorized travel gets spit out over a cliff. I remember the Aschen flipping them about to pour grain into them vertically, so it can be done.
    Those space gates though, they seemed tricky if you couldn't enter from either side. I don't remember the two sides looking different,& with no DHD how can you tell which way is forward. Also in that one ep, they ran into it, & spun it around.

I was showing that you just die when entering the back i went forward then back ive just thought of a better way to show it ill throw things in and show they just get disintergrted

that game is GMOD with the stargate on an empty map.
    the Stargate are just spawned when you want ill demonstrate if you want the reason the view was odd like that was that i used a camera so you could see my character you can do some fun stuff with those gates there are rings as well ZPM F302 drones staff canons and some other stuff.

Dialling is kinda odd as each glyph is tied to a letter or number (PoO is #) so you can remember the addresses.

Chief Master Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by aarlin81 View Post
    Referesh my memory. When was this ever said in the "original movie" (feature film or CoTG)?
    It isn't scientific exposition, just vague speculation on the part of the team sent though.

From Stargate The Movie
    BROWN
    Yes, please. If we're not back soon, they'll just turn on the 'gate from the other side.

FERRETTI
    Oh, no. It doesn't work that way. You see, if you don't turn it on from here, we're screwed. So I'm telling you guys, we're not going anywhere!
    And they are indeed talking about going through an incoming wormhole.

Just to spice the discussion...
    at Joseph Blog here http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/page/6/ he answares this

AnneTeldy writes: “ People can only travel one way through a stargate’s wormhole: planet of origin to destination. What happens if a person crosses the event horizon going the wrong way: destination to planet of origin?”

Answer: The gate will spit them back out.

Another fine time where he bits his own tongue...

Chief Master Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by Steelbox View Post
    Another fine time where he bits his own tongue...
    What do you mean he bites his tounge? It could be true. When have we seen something go all the way through the EH of a receiving gate? Sticking your hand into it doesn't count. And the M.A.L.P. from "A Hunderd Days" was said to "Slip back through the event horizon" not explicitly destroyed. It could have been spit out later and destroyed when Teal'c dialed in.

in 100 days that guy had to push his hand in so there is probly a force pushing out from the EV probly why people sometimes get thrown out

Second Lieutenant

Quote Originally Posted by suprmn4105 View Post
    Hi,

I am a huge Stargate fan, and I have seen every episode many a time, but, I don't ever remember this question be answered, at least not directly.

What happens to a person that goes into a Stargate wormhole, when it was initiated from the other end. I know for a fact that you cannot travel backwards, but do you die or do you just move right through the Event Horizon as if it were not there?

Does anyone know if this has been addressed and in what episode?

Thanks

when you go through a stargate backwards you're transported to the magical world of narnia of course

Quote Originally Posted by RubberJesus View Post
    when you go through a stargate backwards you're transported to the magical world of narnia of course
    Only if the stargate was originally designed as a way for a woman to store her massive collection of clothes.
    Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering-Yoda
    The more bizzare a thing, the less mysterious it proves to be-Sherlock Holmes
    I reject your reality and substitute my own-Adam Savage
    A person is smart. People are stupid, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it-Agent Kay
    That is the exploration that awaits you�not mapping stars and studying nebulae, but charting the unknown possibilities of existence-Q
    Church: I learned a very valuable lesson in my travels, Tucker. No matter how bad things might seem...
    Caboose: They could be worse?
    Church: Nope, no matter how bad they seem, they can't be any better, and they can't be any worse, because that's the way things f***ing are, and you better get used to it Nancy. Quit-yer-b****ing.

If you smoke, you choke. If you choke, you're dead. 'Nuff said.

Quote Originally Posted by sunrek View Post
    And they are indeed talking about going through an incoming wormhole.
    Simply says that you can't. It doesn't answer the question. Read the thread title again ...

What happens when you go through a stargate wormhole backwards??