This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In the long-term...

So the premiere was pretty good, but I don't think this show has what it takes to make it in the long term. The webisode format worked well, but the TV format works less well. I think this would have been a great miniseries, bit the premise is going to get old in the long term. I'm thinking 1, maybe 2 seasons tops.

Now don't get me wrong here, I'm a big fan of Amanda Tapping and those behind this show, but I just found myself getting bored about 45 minutes in last night. I'm not trying to be a troll, but I just don't think this show will make it very long.

Thats odd cause i thought the last 30 minutes made me want to watch the series even more. I thought it was good pilot for the series, and i hope it goes for longer then 1-2 seasons.
    sigpic

Comment

Well, if you had watched the webisodes, I can kinda see where you're coming from. However, this is the way the series should continue. Being on television they have a longer amount of time for character development (the biggest draw for the show imo), story, as well as a larger budget for what they want to do. They also need the larger budget, otherwise we would never be talking about anything new for Sanctuary.

Comment

Hmmm depends how the story line unfolds probably. If they can come up with a nice story line with some nice plots it can go on for a while. But they dont need to do the same thing over and over again because then it would get boring rather quickly but for the moment I enjoyed it and i hope this will go on for lot's of seasons it's nice to see amanda in action again
        sigpic
        by Snowflake Shona

Comment

Originally posted by Arturis View Post
          So the premiere was pretty good, but I don't think this show has what it takes to make it in the long term. The webisode format worked well, but the TV format works less well. I think this would have been a great miniseries, bit the premise is going to get old in the long term. I'm thinking 1, maybe 2 seasons tops.

Now don't get me wrong here, I'm a big fan of Amanda Tapping and those behind this show, but I just found myself getting bored about 45 minutes in last night. I'm not trying to be a troll, but I just don't think this show will make it very long.
          Honestly I didn't really enjoy the premiere, which stinks cause it had a lot of awesome stargate actors. It went really slow in parts and I also found myself yawning. I forced myself to watch the remainder of the episode hoping there would be a nice hook in to next week but it was very closed ended, so I don't know what to think. The part where Will sees the sanctuary is really un impressive, you can't even see what's in all the cells while he's turning around, you just sit there going huh are we supposed to be in awe now? It was sort of like hellboy but without hellboy.

Comment

It'll get much better, trust me. After all, it was just the pilot.

Comment

Course it can go on. They can go anywhere on the planet, as long as they can render it.

Comment

I hope it does keep on going for several season.

Mainly because I want to our they evolve their used of the technology and see how much better it will look in that time frame.

Plus I want see more the story of the creatures and how they come about.

I guest the key theme will be to see the kid evolve to learn to control symbiont. Also I want to see what other surprises chernobyl has in store for us.

Comment

Actually I think this show has staying power. They have strong characters and character interactions which is the most important aspect of a show. Add to that the ground breaking special effects that allow them to go anywhere in the world, and have any kind of set they can dream of. Since it moved to TV they have expanded it, giving us more background to the characters and building on that. The set up, some may have found borng, but the pilot had some kick-ass drama, intrigue and action. I think it will only get better
                  sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

As someone who never saw the webisodes, I must say that this premiere held my attention from beginning to end - I was on the edge of my seat during a good part of it. I really liked it, and am looking forward to more.

Those who saw the webisode are naturally going to have a different opinion of the premiere. First, it was 2 hours long (with commercials), not 15 minutes long. Of course it seemed 'slower'! Second, there was some fleshing out (as I understand it) of a few scenes. This, too, can be a disappointment to someone already familiar with the show (in the same way as I am often turned off by the extended DVD versions of theatrical releases - I usually prefer the version I'm am familiar with).

But the next episode will be shorter, and - perhaps - that will give those familiar with the webisodes more of a feel for the original. And then, eventually, there will be never-before-seen episodes, and then those who watched the original can see what the tv version is really all about, without comparing it to the web version. I think that's when we will really know if the show has what it takes, or not.

das
                    sigpic

Comment

I think this show has the potential to go on for quite some time. The premiere has me pretty excited for what comes next.
                      sigpic
                      MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
                      "...phu...ah..."
                      "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
                      Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

for me, the pilot got better in the second half when John arrived

Comment

I found the pilot horribly boring. Course, most shows have boring introductory episodes (initial character introductions are always boring), but this just seemed worse than normal.

But other than that it didn't seem too bad. It didn't make horrible mistakes like Bionic Woman did or anything.

Comment

I watched the webisodes and the premiere.

I was curious to see how those who had not seen the webisodes responded...

I enjoyed the premiere, a couple slow scenes, but otherwise I was "on the edge of my seat" the entire time.

I wondered if the backstory I already knew from the webisodes and previous interviews had me hooked.

I am glad to hear those without webisode exposure also enjoyed it!

I think the show will only get better. Little inter-episode clues left each Friday, as well as stories within the episodes. The characters will come into their own with time.
                            Words have tremendous power. The right words spoken by the right people at the right times can lift up communities, transform lives, mend relationships, break hearts—even topple empires.
                            Quint Studer

Comment

I had not watched the webisodes and thought this premire was fine. My opinion of the shows possibles length can only come from other shows like it. I remember watching the first Xfiles ep and thinking that show wouldnt last either. I think this show is very similar and I think it could have similar success....except its on Scifi and that will hurt it in the longevity department.
                              Joseph Mallozzi -"In the meantime, I'm into season 5 of OZ (where the show takes an unfortunate hairpin turn into "the not so wonderful world of fantasy")"

^^^ Kinda sounds like seasons 9 and 10 of SG-1 to me. Thor, ya got Aspirin?

AGateFan has officially Gone Fishin (with Jack, Sam, Daniel, Teal'c) and is hoping Atlantis does not take that same hairpin turn.

Comment

Working...
                              X