This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Infinatus View Post
    Last I checked skepticism was pretty logical.
    How do I even answer that? As an example, is a Gateworld member skeptical because they hate that SGA was cancelled to make way for SGU? In that case, I would say the skepticism is not logical. Logic would say judge SGU on its own merits, not on the basis that it killed SGA. I think the basis of your judgement is what makes skepticism logical or illogical.

Comment

Wow. Theres a lot of very good posts on here.
      People who are complaining about the show (SGU) need to have more faith in Brad Wright and Rob Cooper etc. they've shown that they know how to make good television. But of course Rick Berman of Star Trek had a good history too and he brought us Enterprise which in its first 2 seasons suffered from boring characters and lame stories that had been done before on the other star trek series. They finally got it right in season 4 but it was too late.
      We can only hope Brad and Rob don't repeat themselves as often as Atlantis has copied SG-1. Don't get me wrong I love Atlantis but there sure have been a lot of repeat stories such as more replicators and "oh no! we've been infected by an alien virus again" stories.
      The new cast for universe sounds alot like the characters we've seen in SG-1 and Atlantis, except they are younger. Which I hope will be interesting. But I can't really think of any show I like that has cast full of characters in their early 20's. And I'm 25. Ha.
      I'm cautiously optimistic about the show because I have faith in the writers but I see alot of potential problems. Sorry to be negative but its late.

Comment

Originally posted by LostCityGuardian View Post
        How do I even answer that? As an example, is a Gateworld member skeptical because they hate that SGA was cancelled to make way for SGU? In that case, I would say the skepticism is not logical. Logic would say judge SGU on its own merits, not on the basis that it killed SGA. I think the basis of your judgement is what makes skepticism logical or illogical.
        Maybe I shouldn't have even submitted that post. I meant that it's logical not to just put on some rose colored glasses and assume that a new show is going to be a blast just because you have a good feeling about it.

Originally posted by General Yogi Bear View Post
        People who are complaining about the show (SGU) need to have more faith in Brad Wright and Rob Cooper etc.
        Yes. Hallowed are Brad Wright and Robert Cooper. Maybe we should stop discussing how we think SGU will turn out and just bow down and worship those two.

Comment

Maybe I shouldn't have even submitted that post. I meant that it's logical not to just put on some rose colored glasses and assume that a new show is going to be a blast just because you have a good feeling about it.

Yes. Hallowed are Brad Wright and Robert Cooper. Maybe we should stop discussing how we think SGU will turn out and just bow down and worship those two.

And is it also logical not to hate on a show before really knowing how it is going to run, in your statement my friend you have completely contridicted yourself, while it isn't wrong to assume a show is going to be bad just because you think it will be bad, it also isn't wrong to assume it is going to be good either.

At the end of the day, it is down to the individual if they watch it or not, the only difference is that ppl who post stuff about the show being crap will always be considered wrong because the majority of ppl dont like negativity, no matter how valid their points may seem

Comment

i think character development isnt bad. but i really think continuation is a much bigger issue. i think Scifi couldve been more subtile, by having SGA cancelled, waiting a week, and then reveal SGU is greenlit, and atlantis movies. this would remove all SGU replaces SGA talk. annother thing is:

"aimed at a slightly younger audience".

people read:

"aimed at teens"

"younger characters, more character development".

people read.
            "teens lost in space, space opera".

"a darker tone"

people read
            "BSG"

"stranded on a ship"

people read

"voyager".

i wasnt on the forums during the announcement of SGA, but i bet that this isnt the first and certainly not the last time we see such ignorant and stupid comments about new series

Comment

Originally posted by EdenSG View Post
              Good points. But isn’t that what fandom is all about – people who care passionately about a show?

And when you care passionately about something you tend to react strongly either positively or negatively, you pick apart episodes, spoilers and comments etc… When you are a fan your expectations are high. When you are a fan you feel a sense of ownership.

In the end, SGU will live or die on its own merits

Some people will watch SGU because it simply because it is SG and they believe anything SG is good

Some people will try it out and watch and then decide.

Some people will not watch it because they are angry about SGA

Some people will not watch it because they don’t like the premise.

Some people are apathetic and don’t care one way or another.

The list and the reasons go on and on.

In the end it does not matter what “fandom” thinks because it is the general audience that makes or breaks the show with ratings – not the fans on GW or other fan sites because we don’t add up enough to make a difference either way.

But it is still fandom. And as long as there are venues that allow fans to express their joy about something and their disdain about something there will be these reactions. I think fandom allows people to explore the very best and the very worst. If you choose to be a part of fandom that is part of the package; you can like it or hate it but in the end that is the way it is.
              I couldn't have said it better myself.

Comment

Now here's the big difference between you and I: I ended up losing faith in both existing series as they went on, based on actual hard information. You have a casting sheet that is subject to change, and a few vague statements.

The skeptic doesn't disagree with the crowd for the sake of disagreement. He asks questions. He gets people to think. You just... don't like it. Don't co-opt a useful role to satisfy your vendetta. Come back when you have some real information, THEN you can call yourself a skeptic.
                Forum insight in 1 click!

Comment

I'm not to worried about it. If it does well then it wont get canceled after season 1 and kill the Stargate franchise but we have to face that at some point the Stargate franchise will die and they will stop making new episodes and movies. It may be alot sooner than we're all hoping for but, again, we have to face that day and pull through. Its not like a TV show could cause a riot.

Comment

I will be tuning in to give SGU a chance. I was also trying to defend this point to others who wanted to boycott the new show. But hey if all of us SG-1 fans boycotted SGA it would have left even earlier. Each show must be given its own chance to prove itself to the audience. After a chance is given then decide for yourself, but I think that the Stargate Franchise has done us well in the past so we should give it the initial benefit of the doubt.
                    Gator

You're not the usual delivery boy..

"I hope you like Guinness Sir, I find it a refreshing alternative to... food"

Comment

I'd say Universe gets about 3 or 5 seasons before Sci-fi cancels it for something else. Even if it gets mad ratings, that seems to be the average run length. Atlantis is at 5, SG-1 got 5 on Sci-fi, Galactica had 4 and some movies, and I didnt watch it before then.

Comment

Fair enough. I think the best thing everyone could do is to put everything we know into perspective: a brief summary of the series plot, a few very brief character summaries, and one comment that this is aimed at a younger audience. In my book, that's not enough to make any logical calls as to how good/bad SGU is likely to be.

Comment

The initial posters is right. History repeat itself. It happens for Stargate before or for any franchise series (stargate, doctor who, star trek, csi).

I think its fun to try to predict, here on this forum, how the new series will turn out with the little information we have. But, we must realize that its impossible to predict if it will great or terribly bad as of yet. I personally don't like the idea of Stargate for teenagers stuff (even teenagers probably wont like it that way!), but we'll see...

But, even after the first few episodes of SGU, like any other franchise series. They'll be some people which will like it, other people which won't. Me personally I prefer SG1 over Atlantis. But I still watch Atlantis every weeks and I think its one of the best TV series. Its a new show, which will bring some change to the franchise. Some fans won't like those changes, and some will. At the same time they can get new fans or less that the previous incarnation. I don't like people which have decide to hate it already. Same as those who would love it already, if there was some. Its wait and see...and speculate . We must remember that its impossible to have a new show completely similar to an old show. Its just impossible.
                          Currently watching: Dark Matter, 12 Monkeys, Doctor Who, Under the Dome, The Mentalist, The Messengers, The Last Ship, Elementary, Dominion, The Whispers, Extant, Olympus, Da Vinci's Demons, Vikings

Comment

Fair enough. I think the best thing everyone could do is to put everything we know into perspective: a brief summary of the series plot, a few very brief character summaries, and one comment that this is aimed at a younger audience. In my book, that's not enough to make any logical calls as to how good/bad SGU is likely to be.
                            THAT IS INSANE. I hate the show because the ships name is Destiny. WHAT A STUPID NAME. They should of gone with Enterprise. MAN! What a missed opportunity. This show is going to stink! JUST KIDDING. It'll probably be really good.

Comment

Originally posted by General Yogi Bear View Post
                              THAT IS INSANE. I hate the show because the ships name is Destiny. WHAT A STUPID NAME. They should of gone with Enterprise. MAN! What a missed opportunity. This show is going to stink! JUST KIDDING. It'll probably be really good.
                              Didn't you learn Sheppard's lesson about naming ships Enterprise?

Comment

Very true. We will only really be able to judge SGU after we've seen the first episode.
                                sigpic
                                MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
                                "...phu...ah..."
                                "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
                                Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

Working...
                                X