Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

After all this hype about SGU being for a younger audience...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

After all this hype about SGU being for a younger audience...

How old are you guys?

I searched for a similar thread and didn't find anything, but I just thought it would be interesting to see.

I sat down when I was 8 years old and watched the series premiere, and have followed every episode of SG-1 and SGA to this very day. I loved it then and I love it now, and I had always thought that SG-1 was appealing to all age groups. But the controversy over SGU's targeted audience has me wondering otherwise?

I'm 19, almost 20. I've been watching Stargate since I was about 15 or so. I probably would have started watching it sooner if I had realized how awesome it was! Lol But I'll give it a whirl. I've heard how it was supposed to be targeted at a younger audience, and I don't think that's a great idea. I think if they do that, they could possibly lose some of the fans they already have. I already believe both SG-1 and Atlantis are great for most age groups! I hope they keep it that way for Universe as well.
    "I'm not taking a bath with you..." - John

Comment

Started watching at 14 in 1997. Today I'm 25. I'm still a big fan.
      Last edited by General Yogi Bear; 01 October 2008, 08:17 PM.

Comment

im 19 and ive been watching since 1997.

Comment

I've pretty much known about Stargate since I was about 9, although since a nineyearold has a slightly more limited memory capability (read as :less trained), I couldn't remember the name of the series, nor when it was usually on. Wasn't a big fan at that time, I just liked how pretty the active wormhole was. (Don't touch strange things...?)

Although, my memory can remember things from about 6 years ago, I can remember me getting into SG a lot only about 3 years from now. I never had a big imagination, so I let Stargate do it for me. Although I was mainly watching it for like the effects, the acting of it all just kept me watching, to see how things developed. I don't want to be stereotyped as a teenage boy who likes Sci-Fi, since many people have commented on how mature I can actually be (about 10 years older than what I am now), and noticing that, I prefer to watch for how the characters develop, and the inclusion of space battles is just a bonus now.

Mind you, I'm only 18 right now, so I've pretty much followed Stargate on it's entire run, even though I can't exactly remember anything prior season 5 from it's first run.

If it's going to be anything like the redo of 90210, then Stargate will lose my faith. (For your info, what I though of the first episode of the new 90210 series that the people didn't really go anywhere or set up a good basis, hated it, and I plan to never get hooked in by it.)

I just hope they won't stuff up entirely and make the possible 4th series like a Sesame Street.

Comment

I'm 20, going on 21 very soon. But apart from a hiatus of a few years when there was no Stargate on TV in NZ (at least not at watchable times), I've been a fan since the first airing of Children of the Gods in 1997.

Of course, a thread like this is bound to give somewhat biased results, because I think its likely that people in the under-25 age demographic are more likely to join and post on a forum like this. However, the responses will be interesting on this thread anyway.

Comment

started watching it when i was 10 and now im 18 so it's been nearly half my life watchin stargate lol. I just hope universe aint bad though I mean I'll give it a chance
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Finger13 View Post
                How old are you guys?

I searched for a similar thread and didn't find anything, but I just thought it would be interesting to see.

I sat down when I was 8 years old and watched the series premiere, and have followed every episode of SG-1 and SGA to this very day. I loved it then and I love it now, and I had always thought that SG-1 was appealing to all age groups. But the controversy over SGU's targeted audience has me wondering otherwise?
                The average viewer is in their 40's, the average fan, at least on these forums, isn't.

Comment

my story is actually by chance. I started actually watching SG-1 on DVD when I gratuated college, but I always liked the science fiction genre. I was 14 in 1997 and my Dad used to watch it on syndication, it aired on Saturdays since we didn't have cable. I remember walking by the tv and seeing Teal'c and asking my dad, "what's that guy's story? what is that thing on his head?" and I also remember saying.."hey, isn't that MacGyver?"I saw the first movie and thought it was cool, but never got that into it.
                  Then one day (about 2 years ago) my dad and I were out shopping and they had all the seasons on sale (1-8) and I said to my dad, "don't you like that show?" and he said "hell yes!" and bought them all. Periodically I would walk by the living room where he was and watch it for a couple minutes and then walk away. Then one day I walked by again and he was watching "Lost City 1 & 2" and I've been hooked ever since.
                  Ironically, I only started watching it on TV during season 10, right when it was going off the air...crap! I was so mad I became a fan at the end of it all.
                  So accidentally it has become my all time favorite show and still is.
                  So I will be watching SGU to check it out and give it a chance just like I did for SG-1 and SGA.
                  So now I'm 26 and still love SG-1
                  Gator

You're not the usual delivery boy..

"I hope you like Guinness Sir, I find it a refreshing alternative to... food"

Comment

Originally posted by Raven6666 View Post
                    If it's going to be anything like the redo of 90210, then Stargate will lose my faith. (For your info, what I though of the first episode of the new 90210 series that the people didn't really go anywhere or set up a good basis, hated it, and I plan to never get hooked in by it.)

I just hope they won't stuff up entirely and make the possible 4th series like a Sesame Street.
                    No in the middle, just make it like one of those non-stop action shows, boys 7 - 12 watch. Meaning: who cares about stuff like Character development, just shoot something and make a ship blow up.
                    sigpic

Comment

i'm 16 years now found out about stargate when i was like 11 watched it ever since
                      check my story's:
                      Battlestar group 16
                      and Under Siege
                      and respond at:
                      Battlestar group 16 (For BSG 16 and Under siege)
                      my newest story:
                      TFS Ticonderoga
                      and respond at:
                      TFS Ticonderoga

Comment

I'm at the older end of the viewership. I watched the movie in the cinema in 1994 at the grand old age of 36! I loved the whole idea of the Stargate and the alien mythology behind it that was introduced in the movie. I didn't know that a TV series was made until I came across the re run of Season one on Sky TV in 1998 whilst channel surfing, it was the episode 'The Broca Divide'. I went out and bought the episodes I missed to catch up and started watching avidly when season 2 started airing in the UK in September of that year.

Whilst I didn't get into Atlantis as much as I did with SG-1 I've watched it and enjoyed it on the whole. I will give Universe the same chance, can't really know if it gets you hooked or not until you watch it. So if the series has a good storyline with good characters that can carry an entertaining storyline then being 50 or 15 doesn't really matter at the end of the day. We'll all be sitting there watching if it entertains us!

Comment

I'm 29. I watched SG-1 from the very beginning but never loved it as much SGA, don't know why...

Comment

Originally posted by jenks View Post
                            The average viewer is in their 40's, the average fan, at least on these forums, isn't.

Where abouts do they get their numbers from? Because I bet the REAL average age if they were to ask every viewer of Stargate SG-1 or Atlantis, is less than 40!

Comment

I'm 23 been watching Stargate since the Film way back when and never missed an Episode of SG-1 or Atlantis since it started also got all on DVD including the 3 films (Well 1 Blu-Ray)

Comment

Working...
                              X