Chief Master Sergeant

Question Jumpgate Position

I have recently been watching old episodes in a slightly sporadic order, but it seems like the position of the B5 jumpgate changes its position relative to the station from episode to episode (from directly in front for a narrow beam transmission seen in "Points of Departure" to almost directly behind as seen in "The Corps is Mother, The Corps is Father") and I was wondering if anyone knows if its position is actually supposed to change through out the series or if it is just a simple continuity error. And for that matter, does B5 change its position around Epsilon 3 at any point?
    Last edited by songar87; September 27th, 2008 at 01:06 AM.

Exploring space and time with the 9th doctor

Default Re: Jumpgate Position

B5 orbits around Epsilon 3, so it's only natural that the location of the jumpgate would change, even though the station mostly seems to face it.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v106/manephelien/avatars/deadtribbles.jpg

Airman

im really confused by all this

You call that a glowstick?
    (Moderator)

well, the law of centrifugal force says that what is closer to a gravitational object orbits 'faster' than what is further away...so since the gate is further out from E3 than the station is, it stands to reason that its orbit is a bit slower while the station is - relaively speaking - faster

(and the SFX guys probably messed things up over the years )

I think it stands more to reason that at some point during the 5 years, they simply decided to move the jumpgate closer to the station.
    Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

I assume the real reason is they didn't think it was super important to have their continuity be that tight by looking at the past episode and make sure it's always in the same spot. You could say it moves around on its own as the station would, a bit here and there, and they may send out ships to move the gate, unless it had it's own position thrusters, if it started to get to far or to close to the station.

Exploring space and time with the 9th doctor

I assume that it would have its own position thrusters, since they can move the 4 quarters of the gate further apart if needed, say for a really big ship. I'm pretty sure they did it once, but I'm not sure which ep it was.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v106/manephelien/avatars/deadtribbles.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by maneth View Post
    I assume that it would have its own position thrusters, since they can move the 4 quarters of the gate further apart if needed, say for a really big ship. I'm pretty sure they did it once, but I'm not sure which ep it was.
    That was in the Thirdspace movie, to accommodate the artifact found in Hyperspace.

Quote Originally Posted by maneth View Post
    They also moved the pieces apart to prevent the Centauri from destroying the station's gate, though I can't remember the episode...
    Click the banner or episode links to visit the virtual continuations of Stargate!
    Previous Episode: 11x03 "Shore Leave" | Previous Episode: 6x04 "Nightfall" | Now Airing: 3x06 "Eldest"

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Pasternak View Post
    That was in the Thirdspace movie, to accommodate the artifact found in Hyperspace.
    Does know of an online version of thgat movie? I'e atempted to hunt down the B5 movies but their so old I got nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Tom View Post
    Does know of an online version of thgat movie? I'e atempted to hunt down the B5 movies but their so old I got nothing.
    You can buy the complete movie collection at Amazon for less than fifty bucks--LINK!