Probie

Default Stargate Model....

Hello All, I am a huge StarGate fan, and thought I would share a little something that I made. I just recently built a CNC Milling machine, and one of the first things I milled was, you guessed it, a Stargate. It is about 25 inches accross. It is not painted yet, as I want to make a bigger one, and am considering building an actual size one that rotates and lights up for makers fair. Hope you all enjoy!

Thanks,
    Bob

http://www.saberfire.com/gallery/d/1...+-+001_001.JPG

Here is a link to my gallery with some more pics....

http://www.saberfire.com/gallery/Pro...targate25inch/

Chief Master Sergeant General Yogi Bear's Avatar

Default Re: Stargate Model....

Wow. Very cool. Great details.

Lieutenant Colonel Rise Of The Phoenix's Avatar

Very nice and looks just like the one in the show apart from the fact it's plain wood.
    I bet if you go ahead, make a life size one and take it to the fair people will think it's the real thing.

Keep up the good work

Only 1.2 billion candle, DUDE you need bigger lights !!!!

I kid i kid,

Nice work though, I;m a engineering student and some of the cnc stuff is a real dream .
    "Dying doesn't work in our favour!"

Wow that is actually really awesome

Sorry to be a newb but how do you do it-I know it is computerised but is it as simple as designing it on the computer and the machine would carve it exactly. Or do you sit there and carve everything yourself?

Ultimately how do I get myself one of these? do you have measurements somewhere?
    as you can see, I am very excited but understand if you say no cause well it is your hard work

Chief Master Sergeant

one word.....awesome, i wouldn't mind having a stargate like that myself
    keep up the good work dude

Are you able to share a copy of the plans for the CNC milling machine? I have been interested in building one my self for a fair while now.

And I love the attention to detail that you have paid on the gate model all you need now is to paint it well and it will look like the real thing.

Probie

The short answer is that you draw the design in 3d, then you tell your software to generate a cut file that your machine can use....You load a block of material, and your machine cut's it out....

I built a machine to do this... Here are the pictures and build log of it.
    http://www.saberfire.com/gallery/Projects/CNCMachine/

The long answer is that I found that someone had drawn the gate in 3d and posted a 3d file. I downloaded the file and converted to a cut file that my machine can use. You specify the size to cut out the gate, and what size cutting bits to use. You use a large bit to cut out the rough design, and then you change the bit to a smaller one for the finer detail. This gate took about 14 hours to cut out because of the amount of detail.

Quote Originally Posted by Fan-e-Gate View Post
    Wow that is actually really awesome

Sorry to be a newb but how do you do it-I know it is computerised but is it as simple as designing it on the computer and the machine would carve it exactly. Or do you sit there and carve everything yourself?

Ultimately how do I get myself one of these? do you have measurements somewhere?
    as you can see, I am very excited but understand if you say no cause well it is your hard work

Probie

Here is the link to my build log....
    http://www.saberfire.com/gallery/Projects/CNCMachine/http://www.saberfire.com/gallery/Projects/CNCMachine/

I bought the plans for $100 from http://www.joescnc.com/.

You get access to the builders logs as well, which is great!

Thanks,
    Bob

Quote Originally Posted by gavo2o View Post
    Are you able to share a copy of the plans for the CNC milling machine? I have been interested in building one my self for a fair while now.

And I love the attention to detail that you have paid on the gate model all you need now is to paint it well and it will look like the real thing.

Chief Master Sergeant General Yogi Bear's Avatar

You should make some more, paint them, than sell them on ebay.

Lieutenant Colonel Rise Of The Phoenix's Avatar

Hey bbristow if you're gonna make a lifesize gate then you've gotta have a go at the DHD that lights up when you push down on the symbols and centre crystal.
    It'd be sweet to have the pair.

Cheers for the answer

Send us a link as to where the 3d Gate Design comes from. If its easy access and you are allowed to distribute it of course.
    Obviously I can't really create a CNC machine-maybe if I could find a friend to upload the gate model onto their CNC machine. would be great so I could get one to.

Amazing job!

Please post a link to the location of the 3D file you used.

Chief Master Sergeant SGAtlantisP60's Avatar

nice!!!

ATLANTIS RULES

Probie

Hi Guys,

First post here and not sure if there is a newer thread on this but I am looking at building a scaled Stargate and DHD that turns and lights up. So looking to see has anyone managed this? Is there any pitfalls I should watch out for?

I have access to a 3D printer, laser cutter and milling machine so only thing is I don't want it to cost too much.

My plan is to use a micro controller to control the turning mechanism and to try to link this up with the DHD so as you press each of the 39 symbols the gate will also turn to the correct symbol.

I am just at the concept stage although this is my summer project so I do intend to have some prototypes made soon.

Any advice would be great!

Thanks

Andrew Hay