• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Angels and Monsters (305)

Visit the Episode GuideHEROES SEASON THREE
    ANGELS AND MONSTERS
    EPISODE NUMBER - 305

Claire goes after a Level 5 escapee who can create vortexes, but sympathizes with him when she hears how he lost his family because of his power -- only to have Noah and Sylar show up to apprehend him, as well. Hiro and Ando turn to a dangerous foe to find out who is collecting the formula, and Maya discovers Suresh's frightening transformation.

VISIT THE EPISODE GUIDE >
    Last edited by GateWorld; 01 May 2015, 09:55 PM.

Pretty good episode.

1) Is Mohinder becoming some kind of spider or what?
    2) It seems like this episode would make Clair not want to become part of the company, but we always see her as an agent in the future.
    3) Mr. Patrelli???
    4) Hiro and the new gang of bad guys?
    sigpic

Comment

Mohinder I don't know... He is probably going through a phase (alike Sylar) that he cannot control what he is doing. I doubt turning into a spider (that wouldn't be good on the writing side of things). His DNA and what not is messed up at the moment.

Claire an Agent still? I don't know. The future keeps changing.

Mr Patrelli - Didn't see that coming (except for when Angela had her dream), I knew it was him then, before we were actually told. Nice that they've explained about Linderman now too. Wonder what Mr Patrelli's power is too... Obviously he isn't too fond of his kids either.

Hiro and Ando... I really don't know.
      sigpic
      It's Probin' Time!

Comment

Originally posted by Spimman View Post
        2) It seems like this episode would make Clair not want to become part of the company, but we always see her as an agent in the future.
        She wasn't working for the company in the future. They were working for the other company, Pinehearst. Not saying they're any better or anything, but it's still not the same place.

Comment

Either I’m lowering my expectations for “Heroes” this season, or this was a relatively strong episode. Maybe it has something to do with the fact that the writers are finally getting around to pulling some of the disparate plot threads together and making sense of it all. I really like the idea that many of the established metahumans or “Specials” are being manipulated into villainy, not because it’s remotely original, but because of the characters involved.

It’s always more interesting when the villains believe that they are doing the right thing, because it’s more authentic. Far more authentic than, say, the notion that people go bad because of a “hunger” that drives them to do harm. I’m still annoyed that they took that direction with Sylar, and it looks like the same thing is happening with Peter. The only saving grace is the strong possibility that Peter will go completely rogue, and Sylar will be the one dispatched to stop him. It would be a nice way to bring about their long-promised full-powered confrontation.

To be honest, I don’t remember much about Arthur Petrelli, but considering how much of the season has been about family issues, I suppose it makes sense for him to be the mastermind this time around. Here again, we have an original founder of the Company threatening the world. From what I recall, wasn’t Arthur Petrelli a normal human being? Perhaps he gave himself a power, just as he did with the children he experimented with; he could have thus concluded that the world would be better off if everyone had a power.

Whatever the case, one must question a number of unusual circumstances in the current season, now that we know that Arthur has a “Mastermind” character in his employ. That said, I think Matt’s current spiritual journey will hold particular importance. Unless the writers claim that Matt’s experience is one big illusion, it probably holds the key to the resolution of this threat. Arthur may not know what Matt has been shown, and that would allow Matt to infiltrate the “villains” and make the difference.

Hiro is another character with a questionable vision of the future. The rift between Hiro and Ando was already hard to reconcile, especially the speed of their friendship’s apparent decline. This episode only compounds the issue with one of the more ridiculous scenes in the history of the series. Does anyone really believe that Hiro stabbed Ando to death? Hiro’s supposed betrayal was so quick and contrived that it nearly undermined all the other material in the episode on its own.

In contrast, the writers are doing exactly what I had hoped they would do with Claire: they are making a strong case for her eventual descent. Claire acts out on her own, ready to take extreme action, but her compassion leads her to a different path. If Mr. Bennett hadn’t first shown up with Sylar, then hadn’t used the renegade as a pawn to kill Sylar, Claire might have retained some trust in the “good guys”. But now that faith is shattered, it makes sense that she would be vulnerable to anyone who presents her with a sense of self-security.

“Heroes” is still suffering from the same lack that keeps it from running with the best genre shows currently on the air. “Lost”, “Supernatural”, and “Battlestar Galactica” feature outlandish situations, but the focus is on character psychology. We have some insight into how the characters view themselves in this episode, but with the exception of Claire, it lacks depth. The focus is all too external; the show would truly excel if the focus was on internally consistent growth.

Comment

Originally posted by entil2001 View Post
            To be honest, I don’t remember much about Arthur Petrelli, but considering how much of the season has been about family issues, I suppose it makes sense for him to be the mastermind this time around. Here again, we have an original founder of the Company threatening the world. From what I recall, wasn’t Arthur Petrelli a normal human being? Perhaps he gave himself a power, just as he did with the children he experimented with; he could have thus concluded that the world would be better off if everyone had a power.

In contrast, the writers are doing exactly what I had hoped they would do with Claire: they are making a strong case for her eventual descent. Claire acts out on her own, ready to take extreme action, but her compassion leads her to a different path. If Mr. Bennett hadn’t first shown up with Sylar, then hadn’t used the renegade as a pawn to kill Sylar, Claire might have retained some trust in the “good guys”. But now that faith is shattered, it makes sense that she would be vulnerable to anyone who presents her with a sense of self-security.

“Heroes” is still suffering from the same lack that keeps it from running with the best genre shows currently on the air. “Lost”, “Supernatural”, and “Battlestar Galactica” feature outlandish situations, but the focus is on character psychology. We have some insight into how the characters view themselves in this episode, but with the exception of Claire, it lacks depth. The focus is all too external; the show would truly excel if the focus was on internally consistent growth.
            I think we will have to consider that Arther Petrelli was the unnamed mastermind in season 2 and that Adam was simply a rogue operator or in the employ of Mr. Petrelli. I never really understood why Matt's father would fear anyone that did not have major mental abilities. I appreciate that Adam and Claire are immortal but they are not major threats to any person with abilities.

I'd really like to know how Arthur got his powers. Did he realize he had them after meeting Linderman? Also, why is he not dead? I thought he either shot himself or had a heart attack. I just knew he was dead.

I am holding judgement about Claire. I still believe that she can feel pain but that she is still in a state of shock. It is a shame that they made her 15-16 now 17 and cousins with Peter. I thought that present day Peter had the best chance of reaching her. Perhaps they will help each other get out of this fall from grace.

Heroes greatest failure IMHO is that it does not develop coherent plot from the outset. It is maddening to wait 5-6 episodes to figure out that there is even a plot. A well written ensemble show has a path that is not necessarily clear but at least you know there is something going on. I know that that is why they use the time jumping but that is getting old fast. Kaito could have told Hiro what was important about that formula when he opened the safe. I do not think that you lose any dramatic effect when Mrs. Petrelli 'berates' Hiro.

There is also the problem w/ time jumping. Why not jump back to warn Mohinder that using the formula is wrong...

It is also frustrating to look back on season 2. There was so much potential in that season.

Comment

pretty good episode

the good

we finally understand whats going on with mr linderman
              maya captured by mohinder
              mr petrelli's acolytes
              i liked the vortex generating guy
              adam munro

the bad

ando dead (but i bet hiro will teleport back before he killed ando)
              hiro ends up working with the acolytes
              the vortex guy offed himself
              tracy strauss
              peter petrelli...........
              Last Movie Watched
              X-men - First Class

Last Video Game Played
              Life is Strange

Comment

Overall, I thought this was a really good episode. The Hiro killing Ando thing was the only part that drove me mad. That better be resolved in the next episode.
                sigpic
                MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
                "...phu...ah..."
                "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
                Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

Originally posted by the fifth man View Post
                  Overall, I thought this was a really good episode. The Hiro killing Ando thing was the only part that drove me mad. That better be resolved in the next episode.
                  I enjoyed it, it was a decent and unexpected move. With spoilers flying all over if you are looking, and most of the time if you aren't... it's really good to get a nice shocker even if you know he's probably not totally dead.

I'm just glad the show is provoking any emotions other than the ones aimed at the plot dillydallying for the majority of the hour! I would be so grateful if the story advanced over the entire hour and not in the last ten or fifteen or even five minutes like they do. I know they have to hook you into watching next week but sometimes I just want to get the first half over with and fast forward to the meat and potatoes of the episode.

Some shows can pack more awesomeness of storytelling into a half hour than these guys do in the time they are given. It either feels totally rushed or dragging its heels. I want to keep watching and at the same time I'm tempted to stay away for a while and just to watch bunch of episodes in row.
                  Last edited by Franklyn Blaze; 16 October 2008, 04:28 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by the fifth man View Post
                    I personally think that Hiro froze time and set up the "killing".

"I move through time and space, there are many things you do not see"

Comment

Originally posted by knowsfords View Post
                      I personally think that Hiro froze time and set up the "killing".

"I move through time and space, there are many things you do not see"
                      I also think that Hiro froze time and set up a fake murder. That means that Daphne was in it. She was also surprised and oppose to the killing of Ando.
                      Currently watching: Dark Matter, 12 Monkeys, Doctor Who, Under the Dome, The Mentalist, The Messengers, The Last Ship, Elementary, Dominion, The Whispers, Extant, Olympus, Da Vinci's Demons, Vikings

Comment

1. Mohinder = eeek!

2. Hiro = WTF!

3. Petrelli = wtf?

4. Nathan looks to be the only sane player right now.

Very strange.
                        I SURF FOR THE FREEDOM!

Comment

awesome Episodes....even all the seasons of heroes good..

Comment

Originally posted by Spimman View Post
                            I know the longer you fight off being something, the more often you wind up becoming it.. SO maybe he her consistent fighting against the company ends up drawing her TO it...

Originally posted by JayShadow View Post
                            She wasn't working for the company in the future. They were working for the other company, Pinehearst. Not saying they're any better or anything, but it's still not the same place.
                            Maybe that is what the company morphs into.. Much like it becomes Renautas in Heroes reborn.

Comment

Working...
                            X