New to B5, Episodes to watch...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New to B5, Episodes to watch...

I've just seen "Midnight on the firing line", and the show is pretty interesting, but there's so many episodes, I'd rather not spend 100 hours of time watching all of them on my first run. Starting from the first season and on, which episodes would you recommend, or are critical to the story (BTW, Is there an over-arcing story of the show?)
    Brian J. Smith Thunk Thread - New SGU Hottie
    Zachary Quinto Thunk Thread - Sexy/Scary Sylar

Yes. Yes, there is a pretty epic over-arcing story-line that spans seasons 2-5 (not so much season 1). So I would of course recommend that you watch every episode

"We're grown-ups now and it's our turn to decide what that means." - xkcd
    The Church of Mappothism | My YouTube Videos (mostly Farscape music videos)

Starburst 1.1 1.2 1.3 | 2.1 2.2 2.3 | 3.1 3.2 3.3 | 4.1 4.2 4.3

Comment

Yeah, I recommend watching the entire show too. The first season I suppose you could skip, but then again I wouldn't do it. However season 1 isn't the best and if you want to skip it that's fine, but I'd watch all of seasons 2-5.
      Jack: Good morning campers!

The Answer To 1984 Is 1776!

Comment

People say you can skip the first season... Well, I suppose you could skip some of it but there are some incredible episodes in that season:

"Mind War"
        "And the Sky Full of Stars"
        "Signs and Portents"
        "Babylon Squared"
        "Chrysalis", to name the absolute classics.

You can definitely skip episodes like "Infection", "The War Prayer", "Believers", and "TKO", and maybe "Grail" and "The Quality of Mercy".

I guess I agree that you can just start with Season 2 if you want, but I would personally just watch everything.
        sigpic
        Watching now: Doctor Who Series 3/29 (rewatch) - The X-Files Season 2 (rewatch) - Pushing Daisies Season 1 - Torchwood Series 1 - Red Dwarf Series 8 - Battlestar Galactica Season 2 (rewatch) - Northern Exposure Season 3 (rewatch)

Comment

Another thing you might do for Season 1 is to only watch the J. Michael Straczynski episodes, skipping "Infection".

Besides "Infection", every episode that he wrote that season was solid (and since JMS was the only one who knew where the story was going, that might serve your purposes).

An interesting approach; I'm just throwing things out there for you to consider...
          sigpic
          Watching now: Doctor Who Series 3/29 (rewatch) - The X-Files Season 2 (rewatch) - Pushing Daisies Season 1 - Torchwood Series 1 - Red Dwarf Series 8 - Battlestar Galactica Season 2 (rewatch) - Northern Exposure Season 3 (rewatch)

Comment

I would watch it all, and I'm not just saying it as I'm a huge fan. I think that as the Sinclair/Minbari mystery plays out across the whole season, you should follow that to fully understand the later episodes. Anyone who skips Babylon Squared wants their head read!

Comment

I wouldn't skip any to be honest.

Trust me, you don't think that watching all 110 episodes is appealing. But the more you watch it the more you'll grow to love the characters, and you'll be glad you didn't skip any episodes when you've reached the last one.

My Da and I r watching through it all at the moment. We're up to No Surrender, No Retreat ^_^

"Say goodbye to your sanity!"

Spoiler:

Mollari: Isn't it ironic? When I first came to Babylon 5 I had all the choices in the world, and no power at all... now I have all the power I could ever want... and no choice... no choice...

Mollari: It was something my father said. I was just a boy... and I heard him, crying in his room. I asked him what was wrong, and he said "My shoes are too tight... but it does not matter... because I have forgotten how to dance..." ...I never understood that until now... now... my shoes are too tight... and I have forgotten how to dance...
              Vir: I don't understand...
              Mollari: ...nor should you...

Comment

You should 'definately' skip TKO! And I wouldn't reccomend Sleeping in Light either!
                I SURF FOR THE FREEDOM!

Comment

Sleeping In Light is a great episode!

But yeah, skip TKO.

Comment

Originally posted by Ulkesh47 View Post
                    You can definitely skip episodes like "Infection", "The War Prayer", "Believers", and "TKO", and maybe "Grail" and "The Quality of Mercy".

I guess I agree that you can just start with Season 2 if you want, but I would personally just watch everything.
                    "The War Prayer" - this introduces Home Guard, which is a pretty important element in the series, at least during the first half of the series.

"The Quality of Mercy" - introduces the alien healing device, which appears again at the beginning of Season 2 and at the end of Season 4.

But, I would agree with the others you mentioned. Although "TKO" does have an important thread for Ivanova's character.
                    sigpic
                    "Dragons can't change who they are, but who would want them to? Dragons are powerful, amazing creatures."--Hiccup; Dragons: Riders of Berk

My Books:
                    Draconia: Forging Trust, Draconia: Fractured Dream, Draconia: Rehatching

Comment

Originally posted by McClance View Post
                      But, I would agree with the others you mentioned. Although "TKO" does have an important thread for Ivanova's character.
                      I still wouldn't say it's worth watching. That episode was horrible.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt G View Post
                        You should 'definately' skip TKO! And I wouldn't reccomend Sleeping in Light either!
                        Man, "Sleeping in Light" almost made me cry. The episode's a bit maudlin, but man, that scene in the hallway where Sheridan's going out and runs into Delenn... yeesh.

But I would recommend that you watch all episodes. It's worth it just to see Peter Jurasik and Andreas Katsulas doing what they do.

Comment

"Sleeping in Light" is definitely the best series finale ever!

Sure, it's sad. But, it's supposed to be sad.
                          sigpic
                          "Dragons can't change who they are, but who would want them to? Dragons are powerful, amazing creatures."--Hiccup; Dragons: Riders of Berk

My Books:
                          Draconia: Forging Trust, Draconia: Fractured Dream, Draconia: Rehatching

Comment

Watch everything the first time. On a rewatch there are a few episodes I always skip. TKO isn't one of them, however.
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by maneth View Post
                              Watch everything the first time. On a rewatch there are a few episodes I always skip. TKO isn't one of them, however.
                              Out of curiosity, what do you skip?

And I concur, watch them all first time through and maybe even the second. That way you know for sure if an episode has no redeeming qualities...

The center of Khlysty surrounds me

Comment

Working...
                              X