Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Keller's fighting skills compared to McKay's?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Womble View Post
    Fighting wise, she's got less.

You also misinterpreted Fallen Angel. He/she was talking about different styles of fighting, not actual strength of punches; the rougher, boxing-like style versus the ballet-like grace of kung fu.

And just for the record, if your goal is to learn to defend yourself in an actual street fight, you're better off learning boxing than kung fu.
    That's not even close to what Martial Arts are. Boxing is actually one of the least effective fighting styles because of how limited and restricting it is.
    || Star Stream || Destiny Song || The Four Suns (My Band) || The Art of War <<== listen please!

Comment

Originally posted by FallenAngelII View Post
      What if their weapons are removed and they have to make a break without them? And that's his excuse?

"Oh, when I'm taken captive, it's almost always when I'm with someone else, so I can rely on them!". Wouldn't it be better with two people capable, at least in some capacity, in hand-to-hand combat when making a break for it instead of one or more with one last person just hiding behind the others?
      Well I guess my point was that as far as I can recall, except for The Hive McKay has never faced a situation where he had to face an enemy with no back-up, he's always had someone from his team with him.

So yes, I do think that McKay would sorta take their back-up for granted. Rather like how the others on the team sorta take McKay's understanding of Ancient technology for granted. You'd think the others would try to at least learn the basics in case he was incapacitated, but I don't think we've seen that happen.

Out of the team, I think all four are capable with their guns, Ronon and Teyla are the best hand-to-hand fighters, with Sheppard also capable at unarmed combat though not quite as proficient, and both Sheppard and McKay can fly the jumper if necessary. It kinda seems like the only skill-set on the team that doesn't have at least one back-up is McKay's.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by FallenAngelII View Post
        Because Jennifer isn't really that skilled at martial arts and look at those scrawny arms? Also, train a 300 pound man in martial arts and then train a 150 pound woman. Now who do you think throws the strongest punches?
        Bruce Lee was 5'8" 145-150 lbs.
        Jet Li is 5'6" 145 lbs.
        Jackie Chan is 5'8" 160 lbs.

The only advantage size gives you in a fight is reach, which means little and has nothing to do with power.
        || Star Stream || Destiny Song || The Four Suns (My Band) || The Art of War <<== listen please!

Comment

Originally posted by Shan Bruce Lee View Post
          That's not even close to what Martial Arts are. Boxing is actually one of the least effective fighting styles because of how limited and restricting it is.
          Nonsense. Boxing is frighteningly effective (which is also why it is so much more traumatic). In an actual fight that is about inflicting maximum bodily harm on multiple opponents in the minimum of time, you don't get the kind of distance control you need for all that fancy leg work and dancing around. A single well-executed jab-and-cross can often end the fight right there and then- and no one can do it like a good boxer can.

Here is a textbook case of a real-life use of boxing in self-defence- against a mob. Constant movement and quick, devastating straight punches. Pay attention to how effortlessly he floors the guy in white who attempts the fancy kicks.
          If Algeria introduced a resolution declaring that the earth was flat and that Israel had flattened it, it would pass by a vote of 164 to 13 with 26 abstentions.- Abba Eban.

Comment

Wow... i see a whole lot off-base comments in this thread concerning fighting. Anyways that's not what this thread is about.

I see McKay not knowing how to fight pretty reasonable. I just don't see McKay wanting to put that kind of effort into something that physically taxing or painful. He also may be extremely uncoordinated so learning those type of skills may take him much longer then a normal person hence a propensity to quit training before actually learning anything.

I did find Jennifer fending off a Wraith kind of amusing though.
            sigpic
            Stargate Fanpage on Facebook----------------------------------- Stargate Launcher on Facebook

Comment

Jet Li is 5'6" 145 lbs.

The only advantage size gives you in a fight is reach, which means little and has nothing to do with power.
              What makes you think that Jet Li or Jackie Chan have hard punches?

Comment

Originally posted by jenks View Post
                What makes you think that Jet Li or Jackie Chan have hard punches?
                Jet Li has won WuShu Championships. There's a special feature on the 'Cradle 2 The Grave' DvD where the MMA fighters that worked with him in the fight club scenes talk about how impressed they were, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Womble View Post
                  Nonsense. Boxing is frighteningly effective (which is also why it is so much more traumatic). In an actual fight that is about inflicting maximum bodily harm on multiple opponents in the minimum of time, you don't get the kind of distance control you need for all that fancy leg work and dancing around. A single well-executed jab-and-cross can often end the fight right there and then- and no one can do it like a good boxer can.
                  Apparently you have no idea what martial arts are. And the video you used as "evidence" of boxing's superiority shows somebody that has to rely on "fancy leg work and dancing around" to stay away from the "mob" coming at him one at a time.

Comment

I'm glad to see she's stepped up and realized she'd get into physical situations on the job, so she trained. Well, Ronon may have offered because he wants in her pants, but she still got some good training so far.

Rodney has no desire to do anything physical. His gun skills aren't even handled the same from episode to episode. I've seen him get into a shooting stance and mow down Wraith with a P-90, but here he's running and shooting blind and fumbling with clips... Basically, for the purposes of this episode, he has no skill with guns and definitely no fighting skills. Well, to be fair, his best battle tactic in this episode was screaming, "RONON!"
                    sigpic
                    More fun @ Spoofgate!

Comment

Jet Li is 5'6" 145 lbs.
                      All these men have/had serious muscle mass. Look at Jennifer. Look at her arms. Also, what makes you think that someone with more muscles and/or weight on them wouldn't be able to punch just as hard or harder than them with the correct martial arts training?

Comment

Working...
                      X