Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Keller's fighting skills compared to McKay's?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Keller's fighting skills compared to McKay's?

Im not sure if im making mountains out of molehills but did anyone else think it was a little unbelievable that Keller could fight a Wraith like that?

In "Missing" Keller was essentially useless when it came to combat (whether it be hand to hand or with weapons). This would be understandable as she is a doctor and not used to these things. But a year later she is seen holding her own in a fight with a Wraith. Again i wouldnt have a problem with this if it wasnt for McKay.

In "Tracker" Keller is shown fighting better than McKay has ever done and i personally find this odd considering that

- McKay has been on Atlantis for over 5 years
    - McKay is on the frontline team which is the team most likely to see combat.

I just think that if the writers could have improved Keller's hand to hand fighting abilities in under a year it would have been nice to see some improvement in McKay's fighting abilities after 5 years. It would have been nice to see a scene or 2 every so often of Teyla training McKay in her stick fighting techniques and it would be nice to see a steady improvement in his abilities.

So in short

- McKay after 5 years has shwon NO improvement in hand to hand combat (or stick to stick) while Keller (who i see as a similar sort of person to McKay in dangerous situations) has managed to pick up enough skick fighting ability to hold her own with a Wraith.

I am happy to see Keller's fighting improve but it would have been nice to see that improvement in McKay aswell.

Does anyone else agree with me on this?

I suppose it depends on how many ... errr ... "lessons" she's been getting from Ronon.

BTW Congrats on 1000 posts Mooccow.

Comment

Keller has now replaced Teyla. Soon she'll be able to replace Ronon, too.

In short, more random sh*t to get us to like her.

Comment

Its not like she actually did the good against the Wraith. As for doing better then McKay Keller is physically fit
        Originally posted by aretood2
        Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by ykickamoocow View Post
          - McKay after 5 years has shwon NO improvement in hand to hand combat (or stick to stick) while Keller (who i see as a similar sort of person to McKay in dangerous situations) has managed to pick up enough skick fighting ability to hold her own with a Wraith.
          To me, McKay doesn't seem like the type who would be interested in sparring, so it doesn't surprise me that his hand-to-hand fighting skills have not improved. I think he has improved with his accuracy with guns, hitting a wraith while hopping on one foot.

From what I remember of the Keller vs. Wraith fight, she was just blocking the Wraith's attacks, but not attacking herself. And defense is usually the first thing you learn, at least what I did in fencing class. I don't think Keller would have been able to continue defending herself for long and she wouldn't have been able to win the fight. McKay ended up killing that Wraith.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by EvenstarSRV View Post
            To me, McKay doesn't seem like the type who would be interested in sparring, so it doesn't surprise me that his hand-to-hand fighting skills have not improved.
            Its funny how two people can have completely opposite opinions on the same topic. I believe McKay would realise that his job is extremely dangerous and because McKay is keen on living (as is everybody) i think he would want learn basic hand to hand combat as it may be the difference between life and death. McKay would realise that he is safer if he can better defend himself.

Comment

It was absolutely ridiculous. They just wanted to show off their new Keller toy. I had a lot of problems with that episode, they could have her just grab a stunner. That would have worked.

How about when she killed that Wraith by stabbing him through the gut? That shouldn't have instantly killed him, even if he was a human. There's a reason why Samurai would eviscerate themselves, it's a slow painful death and proof that the Samurai wasn't a coward for committing suicide in such a grisly manner. How does she kill him so easily then?

And why didn't Rodney pick up a stunner any of those times when there was a dead Wraith? ........

I'm not one of those anti-Keller people, but I didn't enjoy how they trumped up her abilities in this.

Comment

Im not sure if im making mountains out of molehills but did anyone else think it was a little unbelievable that Keller could fight a Wraith like that?

In "Missing" Keller was essentially useless when it came to combat (whether it be hand to hand or with weapons). This would be understandable as she is a doctor and not used to these things. But a year later she is seen holding her own in a fight with a Wraith. Again i wouldnt have a problem with this if it wasnt for McKay.

In "Tracker" Keller is shown fighting better than McKay has ever done and i personally find this odd considering that

- McKay has been on Atlantis for over 5 years
                - McKay is on the frontline team which is the team most likely to see combat.

I just think that if the writers could have improved Keller's hand to hand fighting abilities in under a year it would have been nice to see some improvement in McKay's fighting abilities after 5 years. It would have been nice to see a scene or 2 every so often of Teyla training McKay in her stick fighting techniques and it would be nice to see a steady improvement in his abilities.

So in short

I am happy to see Keller's fighting improve but it would have been nice to see that improvement in McKay aswell.

Does anyone else agree with me on this?
                It was totally incredulous. In Rising Teyla was unable to defeat a wraith with her sticks and she has been practicing .. um .. all her life.. but yet Keller is able to defeat a Wraith with a few lessons... but I expected the writers to turn Keller into super woman after the Missing fiasco... they are desparate to show us that she has grown so much since that ep.

I also agree about McMay.... five years on the team and in combat situations and they still show Rodney panicking and no better at hand to hand than he was five years ago... sigh !!
                sigpic

Comment

Yes, I also thought it was rather silly. In fact Keller got a little bit on my nerves in a lot of this episode. I chalked it up to that happening to be the worst Wraith Hunter in history. I'm not a major Keller hater, but I'm beginning to suspect I will have liked her better a s major recurring character.

McKay I do not have any problems with it this episode, he seems a little bit more confident with a firearm than when he began his missions, but he never thought of it as a strength he ought to cultivate.
                  "First Weir, then Samantha Carter, and now, you! It's a pity you humans die or get reassigned so easily, or I might have a sense of satisfaction now!"

*You got the touch! You got the poweeeeer!*

"Arise, Woolseyus Prime."

"Elizabeth..."

Comment

Its funny how two people can have completely opposite opinions on the same topic. I believe McKay would realise that his job is extremely dangerous and because McKay is keen on living (as is everybody) i think he would want learn basic hand to hand combat as it may be the difference between life and death. McKay would realise that he is safer if he can better defend himself.
                    I agree that McKay realized that he needed to learn to defend himself, which is why I think his ability with guns has improved markedly from season 1, when he accidentally ejected the clip instead of firing a 9mm, to now where he can shoot a Wraith one-handed while hopping on one foot. And from the episodes I've seen he's quite competent with a P90, the other main weapon he uses to defend himself.

It think it's similar to how on SG-1 Daniel Jackson became competent with the gunplay over the years, but never really did the same with hand-to-hand fighting. Neither he nor McKay strike me as the type who would be interested in learning that type of fighting, but both realized that their jobs meant that had to learn to defend themselves if necessary, hence learning how to effectively use guns.

sigpic

Comment

I've always thought it was rediculous that Rodney, after 5 years, is still so "comically" bad in fighting situations. It's an old and tired plot device.

It was cool to see Jewel kicking some butt, though.

Comment

I thought it was fine, Rodney was hopeless in the first few seasons so it is obvious he is going to get a bit better. In the episode with Ladons coup, he got all excited when he almost stunned someone, now he can hit a wraith while hopping on one foot, a good improvement. Sure he still gets a bit scared and fumbles around a bit when reloading, but who wouldn't when you are faced with a live-sucking space vampire.

We all know Keller was hopeless in Missing, but she could have been getting lessons from Ronan for over a year now, thats a lot of time to improve. And who knows, maybe the wraith she was fighting wasn't that great, they can't all be expert fighters, why would you need to be when basically the whole galaxy is scared of you and won't even put up a fight.
                        sigpic

Comment

Keller being able to fight so well was probably my only complaint about this episode, besides a very minor complaint about Ronon and Rodney forgetting they're not supposed to touch the villagers because they have influenza.

Jelgate has a good point though:

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
                          As for doing better then McKay Keller is physically fit
                          Being physically fit makes all the difference. She should do much better than McKay in a fight, though she still shouldn't do better than Teyla (I was under the impression Keller fared better in this episode than Teyla did in Suspicion).

Comment

It is simple, Keller has more balls then Rodney. Even though hers are on the inside, and Rodney's ball is in his skull...

Go Green

Comment

Originally posted by Infinatus View Post
                              Keller being able to fight so well was probably my only complaint about this episode, besides a very minor complaint about Ronon and Rodney forgetting they're not supposed to touch the villagers because they have influenza.

Being physically fit makes all the difference. She should do much better than McKay in a fight, though she still shouldn't do better than Teyla (I was under the impression Keller fared better in this episode than Teyla did in Suspicion).
                              Oh well, people do tend to forget stuff all the time. Plus if a person sneezed, you're still at risk, and hey, they ate food, the utensils were touched... Did love the chicken foot or whatever McKay removed from his bowl

Yes, Keller is more fit, it seems, than Rodney, although Rodney is a genius so... his talents lie in his head, not his feet.

Comment

Working...
                              X