Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is this what we deserve after 5 years? A love triangle?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is this what we deserve after 5 years? A love triangle?

I mean, Atlantis has dipped into the soapy well before, but this is just too much.

After almost 5 years and almost 5 seasons, this is what we get? The writers finally man up enough to make some shipping canonical instead of just being "wink wink, nudge, nudge" like with the whole Sam & Jack thing which drove all sides nuts.

Finally we get something that's not just years of "Will they or won't they". And what happens? Love triangle.

I'm glad they've finally stopped "Will they or won't they":ing us. But what we got in exchange was, in my opinion, even worse (unless Ronon's just pulling Rodney's leg, which, after the episode and previous hints, seem unlikely).

I mean, horrible ship and buildup to the ship and whatnot aside (subjective opinion), schmaltzy and frankly unnecessary random shipping aside as well, this one takes the cake. An honest-to-Wii love triangle... that's just... no.

Please make it stop, writers!

I'm going to let it play out before I slash my wrists.

Wait ... I may not have to slash my wrists, thank God-- for me, anyway. If I look hard enough, I may be able to find the remote.

Comment

The problem is that the writers seem to listen to the fans to much. They try to make EVERYBODY happy by having all the ships running simulatenously. I mean when Weir was still around you had John having Shippy moments with both Weir and Teyla because there were both Teyla/John and Weir/John shippers. The same thing is happening again now.
      Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

Of course we don't deserve it -- but after dishing out Keller, crappy character death and sexism, what more can you expect.

I predict M&M's reign over SGA would end very badly, but what else is new?

Comment

Originally posted by P-90_177 View Post
          The problem is that the writers seem to listen to the fans to much. They try to make EVERYBODY happy by having all the ships running simulatenously. I mean when Weir was still around you had John having Shippy moments with both Weir and Teyla because there were both Teyla/John and Weir/John shippers. The same thing is happening again now.
          Exactly. How about they just don't ship at all?

We got 8 years or "Will they or won't they" with Sam & Jack that left nobody truly happy. For one thing, it drew on for way too long and almost nothing happened in those 8 years, anyway. All the real shipping we got during those 8 years were alt!Universe and alt!Timeline shipping (some of which made zero sense, like the "Moebius" one where they weren't even the same people, I mean, Sam was a completely different person).

In 15 seasons of Stargate insofar, I don't think the PtB have been able to present a single well-handled ship. It's all been frustrating and bad and blah.

Why not just leave the shipping alone? There are plenty of us who are content to guessing/Shipping/Slashing ourselves based on character dynamic and friendships. This is a sci-fi show about an expedition trying to save two (now one) galaxies.

Why must shipping play a prominent part in it?

And so they insist on shipping... and do it badly.

Comment

Originally posted by FallenAngelII View Post
            Exactly. How about they just don't ship at all?

We got 8 years or "Will they or won't they" with Sam & Jack that left nobody truly happy. For one thing, it drew on for way too long and almost nothing happened in those 8 years, anyway. All the real shipping we got during those 8 years were alt!Universe and alt!Timeline shipping (some of which made zero sense, like the "Moebius" one where they weren't even the same people, I mean, Sam was a completely different person).

In 15 seasons of Stargate insofar, I don't think the PtB have been able to present a single well-handled ship. It's all been frustrating and bad and blah.

Why not just leave the shipping alone? There are plenty of us who are content to guessing/Shipping/Slashing ourselves based on character dynamic and friendships. This is a sci-fi show about an expedition trying to save two (now one) galaxies.

Why must shipping play a prominent part in it?

And so they insist on shipping... and do it badly.
            Stargate has always done shipping very badly. In comparison Star Trek does them really well.........well..............not Enterprise. I Like Enterprise but the whole T'Pol/Trip thing did my head in.
            Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

There's nothing wrong with a 'love triangle', it just sounds stupid when you say it. Works fine in Lost, no one complains about that.

Comment

Love Triangle are Stupid!

Joey/Pacey/Dawson (Dawson got hurt)

Sawyer/Kate/Jack (no one has won ANYTHING from that horror story)

Rodney/Ronon/Keller (still waiting for the fallout)

People get hurt in triangles and I for one Don't like seeing people I like to watch, hurt their friends just cause the writers think that angst is cool!

You might like them, but I didn't watch last night's episode... in 15 years I have NOT missed one but, because I LOVE Rodney and I like Ronon and I LOATH what the PTB are doing to these two smart men I boycotted it!

I watched my brother get so mad at Dawson's Creek with the Triangle, Now I a PIZZED off about this DEBACLE on SGAiI could scream!!!!!
                Why did you do such a thing, you mediocre dunces?

Comment

If you can't separate fiction from reality then that's your problem.

Comment

ahhhhhh your just cute as a button!!!

I watch a tv show for the ENJOYMENT of the characters!!
                    Why did you do such a thing, you mediocre dunces?

Comment

Originally posted by fumblesmcstupid View Post
                      ahhhhhh your just cute as a button!!!

I watch a tv show for the ENJOYMENT of the characters!!
                      Same here, fumbles. I also watch for the enjoyment of the characters and if the spoilers are such that I don't think I'll enjoy the characters, then I won't watch. Because of this, I didn't watch Trackers and was kind of sad to realize that not watching was much easier than I expected.
                      sigpic
                      Sig by Luciana

Comment

P-90 177: The problem is that the writers seem to listen to the fans to much. They try to make EVERYBODY happy by having all the ships running simulatenously. I mean when Weir was still around you had John having Shippy moments with both Weir and Teyla because there were both Teyla/John and Weir/John shippers. The same thing is happening again now.

I agree, the writers should never try to listen to fans & make them (us) happy. It won't work, as there are too many different agendas out here. If the writers don't have their OWN stories to tell, they shouldn't be writing.

FallenAngelII: We got 8 years or "Will they or won't they" with Sam & Jack that left nobody truly happy. For one thing, it drew on for way too long and almost nothing happened in those 8 years, anyway.

SG-1 never got into explicit 'shipping,' and I for one was always "truly happy" about that. I think the writers were smart not to. For one, it doesn't belong in the military and both Sam & Jack knew it. The fact it went on for 8 years is only because they worked together for 8 years. And what happened once O'Neil transferred out of the SGC has only been left to our imaginations. Where it belongs!!!

Truthfully, I think the writers of SG-1 just never knew what to do with it or how to handle it, so they just didn't do anything. But since I didn't want to see it, I was good with that. (If I want sappy relationships and smoochy-smoochy scenes, I'll watch one of those crappy prime-time dramas.)

So my opinion, in short: NO SHIPPING. None. Don't do it. Stop it.

Comment

Originally posted by jenks View Post
                          There's nothing wrong with a 'love triangle', it just sounds stupid when you say it. Works fine in Lost, no one complains about that.
                          Indeed, well said.

Comment

I don't watch "Lost" but I assume they're doing it well. The SGPtB can't even write a normal ship well, let alone a "love triangle". Also, this isn't "Days of Our Lives". This is Stargate Atlantis. Ships involving only two people is already a lot for a show like Stargate Atlantis, a love triangle is just not necessary and out of place in what should otherwise be a dark sci-fi space opera.

Also, "no one" complains about the "Lost" love triangle, you say? Care to wager 100 dollars on that?

If you can't separate fiction from reality then that's your problem.
                            It's not about that. Stop strawmanning every single debate you enter into. It's about not liking seeing certain things because it's plain not entertaining to you (you can disagree if you want).

Originally posted by jyh View Post
                            SG-1 never got into explicit 'shipping,' and I for one was always "truly happy" about that. I think the writers were smart not to. For one, it doesn't belong in the military and both Sam & Jack knew it. The fact it went on for 8 years is only because they worked together for 8 years. And what happened once O'Neil transferred out of the SGC has only been left to our imaginations. Where it belongs!!!
                            But that's the thing, you weren't really "truly happy". Since you didn't like it but were forced to watch it for 8 years with sporadic appearances, I can't imagine you actually liking it when it did happen. I for one didn't enjoy almost every episode surrounding alternate universes or timelines ultimate descend into "Oh, and Sam is dating Jack".

It was OK the first time. But it just got reaaaaally tiresome after a short while, especially when the "Will they or won't they" started up in our!Universe.

It should've been left to each shipper's imagination, yes. I don't understand this obsession some fans seem to have about wanting all of their shows to have canon ships. I mean, this isn't some soap opera or relationship drama. It's an ensemble sci-fi show.

Originally posted by jyh View Post
                            Truthfully, I think the writers of SG-1 just never knew what to do with it or how to handle it, so they just didn't do anything. But since I didn't want to see it, I was good with that. (If I want sappy relationships and smoochy-smoochy scenes, I'll watch one of those crappy prime-time dramas.)
                            It's more like they were scared little bunnies who didn't want to upset anyone, yet they still wanted to push their agenda with S&J.
                            Last edited by FallenAngelII; 20 September 2008, 04:30 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by FallenAngelII View Post
                              But that's the thing, you weren't really "truly happy". Since you didn't like it but were forced to watch it for 8 years with sporadic appearances, I can't imagine you actually liking it when it did happen. I for one didn't enjoy almost every episode surrounding alternate universes or timelines ultimate descend into "Oh, and Sam is dating Jack".

It was OK the first time. But it just got reaaaaally tiresome after a short while, especially when the "Will they or won't they" started up in our!Universe.

It should've been left to each shipper's imagination, yes. I don't understand this obsession some fans seem to have about wanting all of their shows to have canon ships. I mean, this isn't some soap opera or relationship drama. It's an ensemble sci-fi show.
                              Actually, I was happy (and I should know), because I did NOT have to see explicit shipping. There were a few episodes when you could see a look in Jack's eye, or Sam gives him a look, but it was never really overt or forced down our throats, and could even be explained by the fact that they'd served together for so long, and cared for each other as fellow team-members. That's because the writers left it --all together now!-- to our imaginations.

Your 2nd and 3rd paragraphs quoted above are spot-on. It was almost funny whenever there was an alternate-universe episode: would Sam&Jack be married? engaged? divorced? happy parents? It was always one or the other. And I fully, 100% agree w/ you that "this is an ensemble sci-fi show," and not a soap opera.

Whew!! Now, why aren't those writers and producers soliciting our ideas??

Comment

Working...
                              X