This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Naquadah with the letter H.

i sounds to me like naquadah is a amazing substance that can power almost anything so why dont they just use this instead of the neuclear warheads to defend the u.s this way radiation is not a problem and the other coutries wouldn't know what hit em.

they could take the naquadah from the planet Edora and sell it to other countries then the budget problems for running the stargate program are solved, a clean effeient substitute for gas (thats not vehircle fuel if your american) petroleum and uranium, good all round.

can anybody tell me as im not too sure what is naquadria compared to naquadah? is it a liquid form?
    For all the pollution woes on Earth, will the Human race end up taking those problems into space in the future?

We can all call our ships Sports Utility Ships to curtail the carbon emissions and hypersleep at night

Originally posted by Darkstar
    i sounds to me like naquadah is a amazing substance that can power almost anything so why dont they just use this instead of the neuclear warheads to defend the u.s this way radiation is not a problem and the other coutries wouldn't know what hit em.

they could take the naquadah from the planet Edora and sell it to other countries then the budget problems for running the stargate program are solved, a clean effeient substitute for gas (thats not vehircle fuel if your american) petroleum and uranium, good all round.

can anybody tell me as im not too sure what is naquadria compared to naquadah? is it a liquid form?
    Well, the problems with naquadah are that it is difficult and expensive to mine. I mean, if you're going to do it yourself, that's a large crew you're going to need. This whole thing is classified, right? And if you're trading for it with someone, it's generallly expensive to trade for. Then you have to get it back through the Stargate, which is not conducive to bulk hauling. Then you've got to refine it, which is time-consuming and difficult. So coming up with the quantities necessary to do what you're talking about ... is not anywhere near practical for anytime soon. Besides, Naquadah weapons are _rather_ more destructive than nukes. Sure, nukes are "dirty," but there are _many_ nukes small enough that you don't have to worry about accidentally blowing away an entire continent. Or the whole planet. With Naquadah, well, from everything we've seen avoiding such a dire catastrophe isn't easy at _all_.

Naquadria is an unstable variation of Naquadah found _only_ on Jonas' home planet. While it is immensely more powerful than regular Naquadah, it is far more likely to, oh, accidentally explode or have a power spike or produce some other (often catastrophic) unexpected problem. Spoilers for s7 "Fallout"
    Spoiler:
    It was created by the Goa'uld who used to rule there. Unfortunately, the process of creating it is even more unstable than the substance itself, and unless you're lucky, can easily destroy whatever planet you try it on.
    My LiveJournal.

If you can find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn't lead anywhere.
    -Frank A. Clark

An optimist may see a light where there is none, but why must the pessimist always run to blow it out?
    -Michel de Saint-Pierre

Now, there's this about cynicism. It's the universe's most supine moral position. Real comfortable. If nothing can be done, then you're not some kind of **** for not doing it, and you can lie there and stink to yourself in perfect peace.
    -Lois McMaster Bujold, "The Borders of Infinity"

Comment

And what's more, I think most of the naquadah that we have and are getting right now are going into defensive and offensive technologies to battle the Goa'uld. I think they're more concerned about that then paying for something that they're already paying off by themselves.
      Yes, I really do look like (a younger) Daniel. Don't believe me? Look for yourself.

Hey, Mitchell! You want a turn?

Comment

this doesnt have much to do with the original topic, but when i saw the name of the thread i though we'd be discussing why naquadah is spelled with an h. but personnaly, i think it should be 'naqueda', with an e and no h. thats all i have to say.
        ROFLMAO Check This Out!!!

Comment

The spelling has actually been established on-screen, on a computer terminal (IIRC) when Lt. Col. Samuels is describing the naquadah-enhanced missiles ("Goa'uld busters") in Season Two's "The Serpent's Lair."

NAQUADAH
          GateWorld Podcast - Info - iTunes - Google
          The Stargate Omnipedia - www.StargateOmnipedia.com
          Stargate Image Gallery - www.StargateGallery.com

Comment

im not wondering how its spelled, just that it's spelled really stupidly. personally, i think naqueda is cooler than naquadah.
            ROFLMAO Check This Out!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Beatrice
              Well, the problems with naquadah are that it is difficult and expensive to mine. I mean, if you're going to do it yourself, that's a large crew you're going to need. This whole thing is classified, right? And if you're trading for it with someone, it's generallly expensive to trade for. Then you have to get it back through the Stargate, which is not conducive to bulk hauling. Then you've got to refine it, which is time-consuming and difficult. So coming up with the quantities necessary to do what you're talking about ... is not anywhere near practical for anytime soon. Besides, Naquadah weapons are _rather_ more destructive than nukes. Sure, nukes are "dirty," but there are _many_ nukes small enough that you don't have to worry about accidentally blowing away an entire continent. Or the whole planet. With Naquadah, well, from everything we've seen avoiding such a dire catastrophe isn't easy at _all_.

Naquadria is an unstable variation of Naquadah found _only_ on Jonas' home planet. While it is immensely more powerful than regular Naquadah, it is far more likely to, oh, accidentally explode or have a power spike or produce some other (often catastrophic) unexpected problem. Spoilers for s7 "Fallout"
              Spoiler:
              It was created by the Goa'uld who used to rule there. Unfortunately, the process of creating it is even more unstable than the substance itself, and unless you're lucky, can easily destroy whatever planet you try it on.
              Yeah, but we could send some an SGC team from earth to a planet and pretend that we are gods and make the people mine it for us

Comment

And then we'd be no better then the Goa'uld.
                Yes, I really do look like (a younger) Daniel. Don't believe me? Look for yourself.

Comment

I wonder what the atomic number of Nq would be

Comment

Considering that it's a heavy element, probably in the mid one hundreds. Maybe a 120? I don't know. I wasn't very good at the periodic table.

Comment

We're already at 117, 118 is claimed and then unclaimed again.
                      The McLarium is even heavier and stable, although I don't see how a heavier element could be stable since the halflife of each new atom is a lot smaller than the previous one.

Comment

Originally posted by Darkstar
                        The world would be destroyed overnight.

International relations are already in chaos over the Atomic bomb... do you really think the USA would sell raw material for the most powerful weapon ever built by mankind? Never... never.. NEVER going to happen.

Now, if we could build our own healing device and sell that around the world.. that's good

Comment

well now we got the unas mining it for us....we're all set....

i want a hand ribbon not a healing device
                          come read my website!!!!!!!!!

www.xanga.com/keppiezbt

Comment

Does anyone else think the rest of the world would also have a problem with us having the only supply of Naquadah?

Comment

Originally posted by XToDaZ
                              We're already at 117, 118 is claimed and then unclaimed again.
                              The McLarium is even heavier and stable, although I don't see how a heavier element could be stable since the halflife of each new atom is a lot smaller than the previous one.
                              It is not specifically true that each atom of increasing atomic number has a shorter half life than an atom of atomic number one less. It depends mostly on the number of protons and nuetrons within the nucleus, and to some extent on the energy levels in which the nucleons exist. For example Tecnetium has no stable isotopes and has atomic number 43. For comparison, Gold has atomic number 79, and lead has atomic number 82.

It is predicted that certain heavy nuclei with some "magic number" of nuetrons and protons will have a much longer half-life than other heavy nuclei. Half-lives that could be measured in seconds or even minutes and days. Since we are dealing with sci-fi, we can extend these half-lives to longer periods.

Of course since this is sci-fi, we could also imagine that some of the elements discovered in SG are not made up simply of protons and neutrons but of other baryons which normally decay extremely rapidly, but might within the context of the show exist within the nuclei of the show's new elements (naquadah, naquadria, trinium).

Comment

Working...
                              X