This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why Save Atlantis won't work

I truly wish the throngs of fans doing their best to "Save Atlantis" would succeed. But let's face it, won't happen. And the reason, at least in my opinion, is us. Atlantis is being cancelled in its prime as stated in the recent article on gateworld. MGM is doing this because with still strong fan demand, they can make a whole lot on the DVD sales. Imagine the demand for a SG-1 movie when RDA was still heavily involved. The only way to truly convince all the suits that the show should be continued in current format, again in my opinion, would be to actually convince them that we will not boycott Scifi but the DVD sales. If the Atlantis movie comes out and no one shows up to buy the movie, or there is a huge effort to get it on the net for download, then MGM would be so screwed.

BUT, they know that's is not going to happen. I plan on buying a movie that they come out with. I want to see more. As I am sure most if not all of you on here will do. I will even tune in to watch Universe as most of you will all do. I will give that show 1-2 episodes to catch me. Right now it sounds horrific though. It sounds like a Joel Schumacer twist, you know the guy who made/destroyed Batman and Robin to appeal to a more younger crowd (aka sell more dvds and toys.) It is a sad day in Sci Fi.

i am truly hopful that the petition will work.. at last count there are 22000 suporters and mgm can not take that likily.... and u are right they are doing this just to make money off of the dvd sales.
    sigpic

ATLANTIS RULES

Comment

I don't buy that Atlantis was cancelled so they could make movies. SG-1 lasted ten years and was still made into movies, so I don't buy it. I think Atlantis was cancelled to make room for Universe. This'll upset Atlantis-only fans, but I think people who liked both SG-1 and Atlantis are going to be more open-minded and give the new show a shot. It's all Stargate as far as I'm concerned. Besides, Atlantis isn't totally over. There are still ten new episodes left to air. There will be a TV movie in 2009. Chill.

As for the save-the-show campaign... it won't work, simply because MGM, SciFi, and the production team have already made up their minds and are moving forward with Universe. It's a done deal.

Comment

Originally posted by SGAtlantisP60 View Post
        i am truly hopful that the petition will work.. at last count there are 22000 suporters and mgm can not take that likily.... and u are right they are doing this just to make money off of the dvd sales.
        I doubt that they'll really take much notice of the petition. 22000 is not a whole lot of people in the grand scheme.
        Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

Since TPTB have already made up the minds as to the fate of Atlantis, I don't think any fan campaign will change that, especially since they promised us at least one movie and they think that is enough to appease the fanbase.

However I really applaude the fans who are trying to at least get their voice heard.
          sigpic

www.facebook.com/pages/DavidNyklFans/402742713123717

Comment

Originally posted by Rosehawk View Post
            Since TPTB have already made up the minds as to the fate of Atlantis, I don't think any fan campaign will change that, especially since they promised us at least one movie and they think that is enough to appease the fanbase.

However I really applaude the fans who are trying to at least get their voice heard.
            I don't think anyone really thinks it's going to work....but nothing ventured nothing gained, so good on em for trying.

Comment

dvd sales is one reason but some people think that they are ending it on a good note instead of the possibility of people not liking it in other seasons

Comment

Originally posted by Daniel Jackson View Post
                I think Atlantis was cancelled to make room for Universe.
                It's quite transparent, really. I mean it's obvious that such was the case. But it's not as if they are ever, ever going to come out and say it.

Comment

Whether it be for large demand or to make way for SGU or both; SGA is cancelled. Popbands do this all the time, they quit at the height of their careers so if they ever do a come-back, there will be a huge demand.

Comment

Originally posted by P-90_177 View Post
                    I doubt that they'll really take much notice of the petition. 22000 is not a whole lot of people in the grand scheme.
                    I was going to say the same thing. Now if it were several hundreds of thousands...now that would get some notice. At least movies are in the works. Sometimes we got to be satisfied with what we get and move on. One interview (now I can't remember which) said they can't do movies, SGA and SGU at the same time. MGM wants SGU and movies so SGA lost out

Comment

Originally posted by bungeeguy245 View Post
                      I truly wish the throngs of fans doing their best to "Save Atlantis" would succeed. But let's face it, won't happen. And the reason, at least in my opinion, is us. Atlantis is being cancelled in its prime as stated in the recent article on gateworld. MGM is doing this because with still strong fan demand, they can make a whole lot on the DVD sales. Imagine the demand for a SG-1 movie when RDA was still heavily involved. The only way to truly convince all the suits that the show should be continued in current format, again in my opinion, would be to actually convince them that we will not boycott Scifi but the DVD sales. If the Atlantis movie comes out and no one shows up to buy the movie, or there is a huge effort to get it on the net for download, then MGM would be so screwed.
                      I wish that it would make a difference too but even the ones who are on that campaign (me included) know that it's just for aesthetics and not really going to change anything. However it was not canceled for the dvd movies it was canceled to make room for SGU.

BUT, they know that's is not going to happen. I plan on buying a movie that they come out with. I want to see more. As I am sure most if not all of you on here will do. I will even tune in to watch Universe as most of you will all do.
                      Me too.
                      I will give that show 1-2 episodes to catch me. Right now it sounds horrific though.
                      I wouldn't go that far. I may have my reservations about it but I wouldn't say it sounds horrific as it doesn't sound that bad.....yet. The main premise sounds interesting IMO.
                      It sounds like a Joel Schumacer twist, you know the guy who made/destroyed Batman and Robin to appeal to a more younger crowd (aka sell more dvds and toys.) It is a sad day in Sci Fi.
                      He gets way too much flak IMO. Batman Forever was a great movie and true B&R wasn't as good it is still a fun movie.
                      Proud Sam/Jack and Daniel/Vala and John/Teyla Shipper!
                      "We're Americans! Shoot the guys following us!"
                      Don S. Davis 1942-2008 R.I.P. My Friend.

Comment

You are quite right OP, it is over - there is about as much chance of a new season as there is in Bush getting a third term.
                        But reason is most likely the current audience are getting to old - they want younger potential buyers (you are interesting to the advertisers because you may buy something)

Comment

Originally posted by bungeeguy245 View Post

BUT, they know that's is not going to happen. I plan on buying a movie that they come out with. I want to see more. As I am sure most if not all of you on here will do. I will even tune in to watch Universe as most of you will all do. I will give that show 1-2 episodes to catch me. Right now it sounds horrific though. It sounds like a Joel Schumacer twist, you know the guy who made/destroyed Batman and Robin to appeal to a more younger crowd (aka sell more dvds and toys.) It is a sad day in Sci Fi.

Yes, it all comes down to money.

I am sure the package MGM and SciFi negotiated is one that they all feel will give them the best return for their dollar. Cancel SGA while it is still doing well to do movies and bring on the next phase of the franchise with SGU. A bit risky in my book but I am not a big-time Hollywood studio/network person.

I know the chances of any fan campaign succeeding are infinitesimal, but I do support it because; 1) it can’t hurt 2) gives me an opportunity to express my feelings and 3) to vent some frustration.

But the most important reason I support the campaign and that the reason I hope others would also considering supporting it and write letter or two is because - regardless of the fact those letters will not bring back the show - it does show support for the show and that is the best thing I feel I can do as a fan right now, is just show support and let TPTB know SGA will be missed.

Comment

why be negative towards this campaign??? Your in the Atlantis section please your supposed to be strong and open minded. Dont think of the worse think positive!!
                            BRING BACK SGA.. NEVER WATCHING SCI-FI OR SGU EVER

Comment

Save Atlantis?
                              There doing a film aren't they so what is there to save, its not like its dead and gone, its just not on TV anymore...

Comment

Working...
                              X