This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Space Battles in season 5

Is it just me, or have the space battles looked much better this year? The dogfights especially where smaller ships, F-302s, Darts etc... have gone head to head? The camera angles are more interesting and the battles seem more intense, or at least they seem so to me.

What do other people think about the 'new' look battles, if you think they've changed at all?

I can't wait for FirstContact and The Lost Tribe, and it sounds like Enemy At The Gate will be the best thing they've ever done.

Originally posted by SGFerrit View Post
    Is it just me, or have the space battles looked much better this year? The dogfights especially where smaller ships, F-302s, Darts etc... have gone head to head? The camera angles are more interesting and the battles seem more intense, or at least they seem so to me.

What do other people think about the 'new' look battles, if you think they've changed at all?

I can't wait for FirstContact and The Lost Tribe, and it sounds like Enemy At The Gate will be the best thing they've ever done.
    yea i hope they have an epic one like in BAMSR, and i hope they add onto it too. i made a reimahining of BAMSR see the tag in my sig

KEEP IT CLEAN
    Alternate BAMSR:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNCunG0llLk
    Halo Alpha Centauri trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eb5po1zQE1k

Comment

the in house visual effects team is getting better with every season no doubt.

but their still have a lot way to go to catch up to shows liek bsg and startrek
      https://twitter.com/#!/Solar_wind84

Comment

Not BSG level yet, but still very,very impressive CGI!

Comment

Not quite there in terms of quality compared to BSG but very close I think. I hope we have more of the same as the season goes on! Although the fight with the DAedalus and Michaels cruiser was good, I've preferred the dog fights with F-302s, Wraith Darts and them unknown fighters. I hope they can carry that on with the bigger ships.

Comment

I think that the visual effects team has gone from strength to strength, not quite as good as BSG, which I think looks a bit more realistic (as much as huge space ships can look realistic ) but definately close especially with BAMSR.

I'm hoping that the mid season two parter and Enemy At The Gates will have some good battles
            Spoiler:
            they'd better considering all the fuss that's being made about these new aliens

Just under 2 week to go until First Contact.

Stargate's awesome

Comment

I like how the space battles are going to. I hope that they continue on this battle streak.
              http://www.imagehosting.com/out.php/..._DanielSig.jpg

Comment

its a terrible thing to say, but perhaps one of the advantages of SGU is that it will be a ship-based series, and we'll probably get more ship battles.

Comment

Originally posted by SGFerrit View Post
                  Is it just me, or have the space battles looked much better this year?
                  Yes they have. And I've been wondering if it's because they're canceling the show.

You know, the whole "Well we're finished, why not spend all the money?" kinda deal.

That...or they're just getting better.
                  sigpic
                  ____I reserve the right to be completely wrong about any topic I post on.

Comment

yeah i wish that all of the wraith know atlantis and they all fight. man that would have been a cool battle scene

Comment

Originally posted by blitzsnake... and others saying the same thing... View Post
                      Not BSG level yet, but still very,very impressive CGI!
                      I'd disagree - maybe the CGI itself isn't quite as good as Galactica's, but I'd say that the actual scenes are better. They've added motion - such as following that F-302 under the Daedalus' "tortoise shell" in Daedalus Variations - but the motion is much smoother in Atlantis than BSG, making it easier to watch.

Comment

Originally posted by atlantis26 View Post
                        yeah i wish that all of the wraith know atlantis and they all fight. man that would have been a cool battle scene
                        I too think it would be cool if we're threatened by the Wraith in the same way as in the season 2 opener, but this time
                        Spoiler:
                        with the new guys, the Wraith, all three races against each other over atlantis's new home, maybe even with Todd's alliance on our side, with their need to feed off of humans removed (not sure if that's gonna happen but it's leaning that way, if you've seen The Queen then you'll know what I meen) it could happen and you could even throw the Travellers in there
                        now that would be sweet.

Comment

Originally posted by Naonak
                          I'd disagree - maybe the CGI itself isn't quite as good as Galactica's, but I'd say that the actual scenes are better. They've added motion - such as following that F-302 under the Daedalus' "tortoise shell" in Daedalus Variations - but the motion is much smoother in Atlantis than BSG, making it easier to watch.
                          I must respectfully disagree. The space battles in SGA are cheesy, predictable and plain boring. Doesn't even deserve to be mentioned in the same breath as BSG imo. What you call "easy to watch", I call "lame". Not to mention the F-302 dogfights in DV (among others) have been blatant, watered-down imitations of viper-raider dogfights.

BSG's VFX is exciting because of its fast pace and sharp editing. The "smooth" motion used in SGA is very Trek-like (especially with the shields and "energy weapons") and lacks the tension and dynamic action other shows have. Not what I look for in a groundbreaking, original sci-fi show.

That's just how I feel about it, anyway.

Comment

I have definitely noticed a vast improvement in the space battles. They have come a long way IMO.
                            sigpic
                            MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
                            "...phu...ah..."
                            "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
                            Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

I liked the intensity of the Hiveships' battle in The Queen, although the camera angle threw me off for a second for some reason. Initially it appeared like the darts were flying backwards a one point for a time.
                              Last edited by Infinite-Possibilities; 15 September 2008, 11:28 PM.
                              "First Weir, then Samantha Carter, and now, you! It's a pity you humans die or get reassigned so easily, or I might have a sense of satisfaction now!"

*You got the touch! You got the poweeeeer!*

"Arise, Woolseyus Prime."

"Elizabeth..."

Comment

Working...
                              X