This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reason for Failure

I dont know if this has been mentioned previously, but the only place that Stargate SG-1 and Atlantis was aired 'new' is the US and Canada. This means that the fans all around the world (and there are a great many) miss out.

In Australia, Foxtel airs < season 4 atlantis, and some SG-1. Free to air TV has NO Stargate whatsoever. Therefore the only way to view Stargate is to download it. Whilst this is illegal, it is better that waiting more than a year for the DVD. Even if you want to support Stargate, and increase the ratings there is simply no way to do this

Hi Genesys, I don't really understand what you mean by aired new. Do you mean showings on free TV channels? I'm in the UK, and while there's a lot of Stargate (Atlantis and SG1) on Sky 1, and both shows started to air episodes before they were shown in the US halfway through the season, there doesn't seem to be any free to air channels showing Atlantis, and I'm not sure if Channel 4 showed all of SG1.

I do know that the show airs in Germany, and I think that it is on a free to air channel although again, I'm not sure.

My answer would be that, if you're a fan and want to show your support of the show and in particular, encourage the makes of the franchise that there's lots of money for them to make here, then buy the DVDs, of either the show or the movies. Downloading illegally is never going to be a good way to view and support the show at the same time. (And a reminder folks - it is against forum rules to post download info.)
    sigpic

Comment

The thing is SKY 1 & 2 arn't on free-view, you have to buy a subscription. That will drop ratings, if they counted over here.

SG1 used to be aired on a sunday on C4 and SGA on a friday on C5.
      http://www.myspace.com/adam_1973

Comment

Australian network tv does air SG, but only when they feel like it. It's not much of a priority on their list of things, since a lot of people prefer "dramas", despite theres a better dramatic continuation in most SG episodes than lets just say a lot of other things.

The uber-loyal fans wait until the DVDs come out, but if you keep up with the rumour mill, you'd know what's going to happen.

Once channel 7 down in Aus is finished with the current airing "Beauty and the Geek," high chances they'll be airing S4 of Atlantis.

Comment

As I don't have a Sky subscription and only recently gained acces to the internet at home I've had to catch up on Atlantis by watching streaming sites, I checked on Yahoo questions and was told that it's not illegal to watch on these sites as your not distributing the content yourself.
          I have bought SG1 season 1-8 on DVD, season 1 of SGA, Ark Of Truth and plan to buy the rest in the future.

Comment

Neither show failed. SG-1 ran five years on Showtime before being cancelled and picked up by SciFi where it would run for another five years. 10 years isn't a failure, that's a major success. Further, it was only cancelled, because it became too expensive to produce. The solution to this is to make the occasional movie. Atlantis had a five year run. Most modern science-fiction shows don't last that long, so I'd call it a success. The show could continue to a sixth year, but the producers would rather end on a high note and do the occasional movie like what they are doing with SG-1. This is no different than when the vastly popular Star Trek: The Next Generation ended after seven years in favor of a film series over an eighth season.

What you call failure, I call success. Shows that failed include...

Star Trek: Cancelled after a three-year run. Thought to be a failure until reruns were big in syndication a few years later.
            Enterprise: Expected to have a seven year run (which is silly to copy success instead of doing something new) but cancelled after four years. Personally, four years was enough for me, crappy finale aside.
            Roswell: Almost cancelled at the end of Season 1, cancelled at the end of Season 2. Another network picked up Season 3 then cancelled the show. On the bright side, Season 3 was more or less expected to be the final season, so most loose ends were resolved.
            Firefly: Cancelled after 14 episodes, three of which did not air until reruns were sold to SciFi. Fortunately, a movie was made to tie up loose ends.

Comment

Outside of the US, rating don't really matter. If you're outside the US and want to support the franchise, then you should buy the DVDs. If you don't want to wait for those then there is only one other option besides not watching.

Comment

Indeed, if you live outside the USA, the only way to support the show is to buy the DVD's or legal downloads.

Comment

Ratings outside the US do matter, just no where near as much.

Comment

Problem is, it doesn't really matter, there is no telling when certain DVD's will come out, it might take another year before the Season 4 and Continuum end up in the racks over here, and knowing the delay for R4, it's got to be ridiculous.

My Controls · Edit Signature · Edit Avatar

Comment

SG-1 airs in Germany on two channels - Channel 5 and RTL II, RTL II also shows SGA and yes all those channels are not premium channels. However we are on reruns regarding SGA at the moment. I have no clue when they will start airing the fourth season.
                      He's like fire, ice and rage. He's like the night, and the storm in the heart of the sun.
                      He's ancient and forever. He burns at the centre of time and he can see the turn of the universe.
                      And he's wonderful.

Comment

Well the UK gets the episodes pretty much at the same time as America except we dont air them in the summer because thats just silly.

Comment

Only scifi pays for a portion of the shows production, thus only scifi ratings affect the show. Syndication sends $ to mgm and is sort of like profit after the fact.

Comment

The more cash MGM gets from syndication deals the less they need to charge Sci Fi.

Comment

Sg-1 was aired on TV2 in NZ (free to air) and for the first five or six seasons, almost simultaneously with the US and at a very reasonable time - 8.30. The later seasons were aired later at night, but still free to air.

Atlantis is aired on Prime (another free to air channel) and although it is delayed (we are partly through S4), it is still there and at a reasonable time!

Australian free to air TV... well I don't know much. But I do know that back in the days, they were very reticent in airing Roswell promptly or at all (they were still in S2 when the series finished).
                              ~~~~~ Meant to Be ~~~~~

Comment

Working...
                              X