Fata Morgana (103)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ann_sgcfan View Post
    There was a lot of discussion on the Sanctuary forum after the webisodes that Ashely was too old to still be getting an allowance... it was funny But isn't she too old to have an allowance she is in her twenties.
    Well it's not like she can get a normal job or anything.

Comment

I really liked the changes in this ep. I am glad they cut a lot of the exposition out and just got right to the action. The fight scenes were great. I will definitely have to watch this one again. This cold made me really sleepy while it was on last night.

Comment

I'm a bit out of the loop in this discussion. As a Luddite I was only able to see the YouTube webisodes and bits of others at AT3 (I was interrupted by getting a photo or autograph or some such with Amanda ). Therefore, I am not really familiar with how it was originally done. Maybe that's a good thing as then I'm unbiased.

I do wonder at what was reused for this episode though. It seemed to me a) the CG wasn't quite as good in some places as it was in the opening episodes and b)Amanda's hair did look more like the wig.

Only watched it once on tape after I got home so I'll have to watch again later but I will say I like the fact there was more Helen. Liked the mother/daughter moments. Totally love Henry. Liking Will's sense of humour. Like Helen kicking butt, even in heels.

Thanks to Pengyn, SamJackShipLover and Mala for the sig.

Comment

Actually quite a lot of it was reused from the webisodes. The mother daughter scene was new and the ending was new, of course. And the scene in Helen's office with Will was new.

The autopsy, much of the fight scenes, the graveyard scene in the beginning - those were all reused. Pretty much every time AT's hair looks 'off' or huge.

Comment

I didn't see any of the webbys but the episodes felt very average. The witch stories was underplayed and not heartful at all. We didn't learn about their childhood or something (flashback??). Or even how much they were used (mistreatment) by the cabal. We just didn't have much information about them, beside the one battlefield scene. Cut the fight scene and more backstory (which could actually have fight scene in them!)! Will seems to have confidence in them only because they were nice looking girl in needs The story would not less us see otherwise. But its a nice that he really wanted to help them, while helen was much or less ready to put them in prison/drugged.

It was a nice introduction to the cabal though. It just trange that they didn't have a mean to control the witches in any way, beside words. They are supposed to be professional, and well backed, abnormal hunters. Its obvious that if you have some superpowerful being in captivity to do your bidding, they will eventually turn against you. You need to have something against them (subimplants, supernatural force "canceler" equipments, ...). A bit like the 4400 with the superpowerfull isabel. They are professional after all. It most not be the only time in history that a powerful abnormal tries to overrun them.
            Currently watching: Dark Matter, 12 Monkeys, Doctor Who, Under the Dome, The Mentalist, The Messengers, The Last Ship, Elementary, Dominion, The Whispers, Extant, Olympus, Da Vinci's Demons, Vikings

Comment

I am trying to watch it seperately from SG and it works.

This episode was a bit better than Pilot - mostly bc it was faster, we saw how things are normally going in the Sanctuary. What is not working for me is relationship between Ashley and Helen. Some chat here and there isn´t enough. I don´t think there are enough good mother/daughter relationships in sci-fi, so I´d like to see more. They obviously haven´t big problems between each other but I´d like to see some conflict and some more chemistry between them.
              But I think there is plenty of time.

Otherwise - I really liked it

"No dictator, no invader, can hold an imprisoned population by the force of arms forever. There is no greater power in the universe than the need for freedom. Against that power governments, and tyrants, and armies can not stand." - G´Kar, Babylon 5

Comment

Some annoyances:

1. Will and Helen's improper use of "A.D."

2. Will's reference to a bubonic plague outbreak in Scotland in A.D. 800. That doesn't sound right, for various reasons.

Comment

Helen had to lock them up. She was forced to shoot them with some sort of gun to knock them out. Their little flying act destroyed a large portion of Helen's lab, not to mention the damage they did to Will , blood coming from his nose and ears are not a good sign. Helen also believed someone would be coming for them and they had no way of protecting them now that the sisters destroyed the Sanctuary's security. So not only were they in danger but all of Helen's patients were in danger as well. Helen had no choice but to render them unconscious for the sake of everyone's lives.

Will for his part now believes their story and what Helen read about them in her history books. He thinks their memories are what made them go crazy... He believes like most kidnapped victims, they don't feel they have a choice. Will offers another choice that the Cabal gave them the ability and took away their freedom. They have had to do what they were told for so long and the sisters feel they owe the Cabal something. Freedom is not a concept they understand and part of them doesn't feel they deserve it due to all the death they caused. Will thinks with more counseling he can get through to them and help them to adjust. I don't think it has anything to do with what they looked like. I think Will understood what it was like to be haunted by dreams or nightmares. Will has confidence in his ability to help them with enough time.

What is nice about the ending is the sisters had their first taste of freedom and while yes they went back to the cabal to save those that work at the Sanctuary. They may be back in a later episode. In their short stay at the Sanctuary they have tasted another way of life. They have a ways to go, but like Helen said Will may have gotten through to them more than he realizes and if freedom is something they seek in the future they will be able to get out on their own thanks to Will, Helen and Ashely.
                  Last edited by ann_sgcfan; 11 October 2008, 12:21 PM. Reason: typos

Comment

Originally posted by rderoch View Post
                    And now a question about the opening credits. Does anybody else think that might have been a picture of Amanda and Olivia?

I thought so too
                    SANCTUARY ROCKS

Comment

I don´t like those opening credits. It was the only thing better in the webepisode (imo). I liked the credits in webepisodes. This intro looks like not very well made DVD menu.

"No dictator, no invader, can hold an imprisoned population by the force of arms forever. There is no greater power in the universe than the need for freedom. Against that power governments, and tyrants, and armies can not stand." - G´Kar, Babylon 5

Comment

my thoughts on 'fata mogana'.

loved it!

i'm very glad they've worked on mellowing ashley. she's a much more likeable person. my mom was woo hooing while ash was kicking butt.

loved that the three witches weren't all that bad after all. they were given an option to be something different, which i'm hoping we'll see (them) again. i especially liked the main sister. i don't know where i've seen her before, but i like her.

the black guy that was the head of the organization that wanted the witches back, we've seen him before on sg1. and he was being snarky to amanda/character then too!

very cool scene of ashley hanging out at the end of the brooklyn bridge... really curious on what happened to the bridge and society for that to happen.

my only complaint is MORE HELEN is needed!!, but i'm sure that's going to come along, like any fine dish that's slowly surved... just don't let us starve to death first.

excellent second ep of the series!

sally
                        sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by EvenstarSRV View Post
                          I wished they'd kept the allowance line too. It was a nice bit of Helen's humor and the changed line doesn't really match the hand motion she makes.
                          i liked the allowance line as well, but i think they're trying to soften the helen/ashley relationship, so maybe that's why they changed it. but it didn't take anything away from the ep for me at all.

i was telling to my mom that i'm glad this isn't an all shoot 'em up show. they're taking the time to know and delve into the characters, which i think is the number one interesting thing about any story. at least ones i like (and end up falling in love with).

i'm soooooooo glad amanda kept the british helen accent!

sally
                          sally

sigpic

Comment

this was an ok ep imo. a lot was used from the webisodes so no surprises, except for the people in control of the witches which was weird unnecessary imo. I'm not sure why but the CGI was painfully obvious in some scenes ie when the three were flying and Will came running towards them. I think other people already mentioned the allowance line, too bad it was cut. anyway this was a solid ep and I'm looking forward to Folding Man (although it reminds me of an X-Files ep )
                            sigpic
                            The Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Thunk thread The Sam/RepliCarter Ship Thread

Comment

I really enjoyed last night's episode of Sanctuary. So far, so good IMO.
                              sigpic
                              MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
                              "...phu...ah..."
                              "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
                              Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

Originally posted by the fifth man View Post
                                I really enjoyed last night's episode of Sanctuary. So far, so good IMO.
                                what was your favorite part, fifth man? inquiring minds want to know.
                                sally

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X